Home General Discussion

How much to charge for this sort of freelance work?

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12
I'm doing some freelance work for some people and I was just wondering what sort of fees I should be charging. My last one had me doing the design for a ring, which I rendered in 3D. I only charged $60 AUD for that, which I'm guessing is cheap. Now, I'm being asked to design a coin and render that in 3D as well.

How much should I be charging for this sort of thing?

Replies

• Ark
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    You should do a search on these forums, freelance rates have been discussed a lot.

Also: http://freelanceswitch.com/rates/
  • Rick Stirling
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Minimum hourly wage for your country, multiply by 3, multiply by 1.x, where x= number years experience.
  • Marnik
    Offline / Send Message
    Marnik polycounter lvl 8
    Minimum hourly wage for your country, multiply by 3, multiply by 1.x, where x= number years experience.

sounds like a good system to me =D
  • Rick Stirling
    Offline / Send Message
    There isn't really a formula that you can use, but that's not a million miles off.
  • Gardini
    Offline / Send Message
    Gardini polycounter lvl 13
    how much people gain with one character with full modeling, texture and maps ?
  • Neox
    Online / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    depends on
    experience
    budget of the company that wants the asset
    location of the company that wants the asset
    location of the freelancer
    time til it has to be finished
    detail of the character
    quality of the character
    technology used for the character

there is no "a character costs $ XYZ,-", a last gen character with handpainted texture costs a different price then a current gen character that needs all those extramaps like normals, spec etc. its just a different amount of time you need to spend per asset
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Like the members above have been saying every character has a different level so every price will be different, I have been asked how much will you charge for something like that?

I am like, if I tell you the final cost you'll run away, so when I mention $$ hour they disappear not even knowing how long it will take or anything. Just don't charge a certain amount and spend 2/3 weeks on it fulling knowing that you can work faster then that but you want to squeeze what you can from them.

I would rather get it done a.s.a.p. and get more work from them instead of slacking off so I am wondering if they think I or any other artist is looking to leech off there budget?

I think that's stupid, you get it done get more work, if they don't have more work they will definately recommend you for the quick and quality work you can deliver.

Just giving those individuals that assume this and that are lurking the forums an eye opener to how many of us work, at least I would hope to think this is what is on the mind when "freelance/contracts" come around to them.

OT:
    I like ricks equation! I am so under paid ;).
  • rawkstar
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    1. think about how many hours you will spend making the thing

2. multiply by how much you think you should be making an hour

3. get result

4. ....profit?
  • Hayden Zammit
    Offline / Send Message
    Hayden Zammit polycounter lvl 12

Well, the minimum wage here in Australia is $13.47 an hour, so times that by 3 is $40.41. I do have some experience in freelance work, but I've always just guessed what to charge, so my years experience would be just one. so I should charge $44.50?

Man, that's some really awesome pay. So much better than an average job.
  • EarthQuake
    rich's little equation is strangely reasonable.
  • 2cool4school
    Give them options for their budget with examples.
    Try to explain to them what they will get for their budget.

High quality model with.....and will take me roughly XXX hours will cost XXX
    Medium quality model with.....and will take me roughly XXX hours will cost XXX
    Low quality model with.....and will take me roughly XXX hours will cost XXX

You're less likely to lose work this way and send them running.
    Also allow for a maximum of 2 revisions/changes before asking for extra money.
  • Rick Stirling
    Offline / Send Message
    Because there's no point in working for minimum wage.
  • Mcbeardo
    Offline / Send Message
    Mcbeardo polycounter lvl 4
    So i should 540usd an hour... Cries....
  • SnowInChina
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    either your math skills are really really bad, or you are really really old
  • pigart
    Offline / Send Message
    pigart polycounter lvl 6
    Minimum hourly wage where I live is about 3 euros per hour, if not less. I think I'll stick to what I have been charging in the past :lol::lol:
  • Eric Chadwick
    Minimum wage in Massachusetts is $11. Times 3 is $33.

I have 25 years experience. If the x in 1.x is meant as for single-digit years, then 25 = 2.5. 33 x 2.5 is $82.50.

That's pretty steep. But funny enough that's close to my upper end. Looks like I need to be charging more haha.
  • Jakob Gavelli
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakob Gavelli interpolator
    Holy necro batman. 8 years, that's... wow. 
    If this still applies that'd be great :P 
  • Sk0LLiE
    Offline / Send Message
    Sk0LLiE polycounter
    Well...I think this equation works well in first world countries where the minimum wage is generally high / decent.
    I did this calculation where I live (South Africa) with the (low) minimum wage and my experience (10+yrs)...and I got 5.4 dollars per hour. :/

Thats gona be pretty rough to exist on.

Disclaimer: I may have got the equation wrong or missed something, I am in a coffee fuzz and it is the morning.

So I guess find your own solution relative to where you live.

• Neox
    Online / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    1.5 USD * 3 = 4,5

4,5 * 2 (with 10 years. say its eleven then it would be 2.1) = 9 dollars

still sounds mighty low. then again it really can not be compared on a worldwide basis, the external influences are just so big.
  • Sk0LLiE
    Offline / Send Message
    Sk0LLiE polycounter
    Heehee

Thanks Neox, yeah I got it wrong, still too low tho.

I should probably not comment on threads as I just wake up.... >___>