Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mechanical Pagoda

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
TheAxiom polycounter lvl 3
Hey everyone! This is what I am working on at the moment. It's a traditional Japanese pagoda with a Howl's Moving Castle touch, with the addition of modern robotic legs.

It will be fully modelled, UV'd and textured, then brought in to UE4 as an environmental asset in a scene.

Here is the development progress so far.

Let me know what you think! I will be posting more updates as I go along.

Replies

• pmiller001
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pmiller001 greentooth
    just something to keep in mind. I think scale is really going to be important to establish how big and cool this thing is. I'm not an enviroments artist so I'm not sure how to accomplish that, but it's something to think about. 
  • samnwck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    samnwck polycounter lvl 9
    This is a really neat idea. I think Pmiller has a good point that presentation of the scale will be important to showing this thing off, volumetric fog and maybe some bipeds on it comes to mind. One thing that I see is a discontinuation of of the design in the legs. The legs look a little too.... slapped on. Like they don't have the same sort of styling as the building, as they look american industrial vs the classic craftsmanship of the building. Though that could be handled by dressing them up a bit, but at the moment at the very least they look a bit basic, mainly the lower parts of the legs like the "shins" and foot cups could at least use a bit more detail.

Overall I'm digging the idea though. Keep at it. I'll definitely follow this one!
  • TheAxiom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone, awesome suggestions! I completely agree. I could add some gold dressing to the legs and add some piping or mechanical assets to the pagoda to help the blend.

For the scaling, here is what I have so far for the environment. It's all scanned data from NASA maps and to scale to Japan's Lake Ashi and Mt. Fuji. I am still working on the environment, but the birds and torii gate should help make the pagodas look massive in comparison.

• macoll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    macoll polycounter lvl 13
    Cool concept, original, gg ;)

• TheAxiom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    macoll said:
    Cool concept, original, gg ;)

Hey thanks! I love your sci-fi props pack by the way! Have used it in the past. :)
  • TheAxiom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The pagoda is unwrapped and I've broken it all in to two texture maps/UV's. Now on to piecing the whole thing back together again and texturing it. Ignore the fact the texel resolution is lower on the lower half, it's an older image. :)

Here's a quick Painter test texture during the rebuilding process to see how the resolution is working.

• TheAxiom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay! The whole thing is UV'd and fitted back together again. Looking awesome cast purely as metal.

• TheAxiom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some progress on the texture work. Still a bit too hard and flat. Needs a little randomness to it, some imperfections.

• TheAxiom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone! Big update here! Pagoda is fully textured and I have a massive open environment I've made to sit it in. Still working on polishing but it's coming along really well! Everything here made by me, except the UE4 sky of course.