Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Tibetan Shrine

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Fozwroth polycounter lvl 9
Hey everyone! 

Thought I would post my latest environment, a Tibetan shrine.

I wanted to learn more about terrain authoring in Unreal so this was a good opportunity to do so. I learned a lot and know what I want to improve the next time around :)  

Its using fully dynamic lighting and GI. Textured using the RDT textures and some Substance Painter and Designer as well. All the vegetation assets and textures where made by me by creating highpoly textures, painted with vertex colors and then baked and composed to the final flat texture sheets inside Substance Designer.

Link to RDT: https://real-displacement-textures.com/

Thanks for looking!
Cheers!

Replies

• Sebvhe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sebvhe greentooth
    Looks pretty amazing to say the least!

Not much to critique, maybe add some very small patches of snow in cavities, against the wooden steps for instance. There is no reason the path wouldn't have snow, if people walk a lot, the snow becomes ice and stays even longer usually.

Also, something seems a bit off with your mountain's normals on the right side of the picture.

But to be honest, that's just me being very picky, everything else is aced :smile:
  • Gilgamesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gilgamesh polycounter lvl 12
    Really nice, I'd like to see a bit of a wider view angle or a touch further away as well but apart from that it looks spot on.
  • Stewart774
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stewart774 polycounter lvl 3
    Hey man this is some incredible work well done, how did you make all the vegetation? Ive got no idea how to model plants and such
  • Fozwroth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fozwroth polycounter lvl 9
    @Sebvhe
    Thanks! Yeah true, but I kind of liked the idea of having a more cleared path in the middle of the image. It just came down to preference :) Yeah most likely there is some wonkiness in some spots but the scene and material got a bit heavy for my little laptop so working with it became a bit of a chore in the end so I just rolled with it, I know what to look out for the next time around though! 

@Gilgamesh
    Thanks! Maybe I can do some more screenshots at some point!

@Stewart774
    Thanks!
    I build highpoly meshes of the plants I want to make using botanical books and images as reference sheets. Then I use vertex colors to paint them in the avarage colors of the plant I want, then send it off to Substance Designer to bake everything down to a plane to produce my flat textures. Then just add some different detailing and color variations and so on using regular designer workflows.

Then I bring the flats back into Maya and model out cards and then assemble into plants :)