Home Technical Talk

3d character cloth workflow question

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
bmarko01 polycounter lvl 7
So I have a question.  Its more like "how do I approach this?" kinda thing.  Im working on a personal project where Im making an alien that would put into unreal engine and stuff.  The character has four arms and some robes on him.  I wanna have it where his two small arms are hidden within his robes and he has guns underneath and stuff.  Im wondering how should i continue with the robes?  Do i sculpt them in Zbrush? what position should they be in?  I want to know more about cloth prep and the tutorials I have seen so far have been subpar.  If there is a video that would help me out just point me in that direction.  

Thank you,  
Brian Markowitz

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    It depends. I assume you want to animate him, whipping his mini arms out with guns blazing, and have the cloak ripple aside realistically as he does so?

Really difficult to do with realtime 3d game tech. Most games avoid these kind of designs because the animation work would be too time-intensive.

However if you just want cool looking cloth for a static pose, take a look at Marvelous Designer. Lots of resources out there for learning how it works.
  • bmarko01
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bmarko01 polycounter lvl 7
    Thats exactly what i was thinking.  I was checking out the new physics based material video that unreal is putting out and that looks great actually.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FwDT2b-8x9c

But as far as making it i think imma check out marvelous designer.  Thanks a lot.