Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[wip] Rat monster - need advices/help

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Elzean polycounter lvl 3
Here is a monster i'm working on for a game project (http://www.indiedb.com/games/rogue-fantasy), i have very little experience in character sculpting/modeling (did 2 other sculpts in blender that were not humanoid). Feedback is welcome, i'm trying to have something a bit stylized, like overwatch (not that i can do anything as good...) We are only 2 working on the project for moment and sadly we don't have a dedicated artist :p

I have a few questions about his hairs, i was sculpting all the smaller hair directly on him because it's fast and fell more blended all together. Now i want to add optional long piece of hairs, like having the option to have different hair styles.

So i'm starting to make those large piece (here on top of his body) using some curves, this would also give me the option to hide those hair if i were to add cloth on them (so hair doesnt pass through). I would make a low poly of those hairs as a separate piece.
They look different though, is this shocking to you ?  Should i do it differently ? Should i use those curves for other smaller hairs on his body ?
Do you think of any issue i could have making the low poly of this creature ?

Replies

• Elzean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elzean polycounter lvl 3
    Here is another view angle on his hairs:

• Elzean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elzean polycounter lvl 3
    Since i go stylized and i dont want to spent too much time with making his fur looks good / not gooey im experimenting with another style:

Its not finished mostly worked on top parts, but let me know how you feel about this change :smile:
  • Elzean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elzean polycounter lvl 3
    This will be last iteration on the sculpting i think, he will have cloth later:

• kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    The proportions of the figure are looking a little strange. The face is looking pretty kind compared to the skyrim dogs. The arms seem thin. I'm not sure the salad munchers (front teeth) go with a monster of this kind
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    I dont think its a warewolf, its a rat monster.  might be something to consider for OP though, that it dosnt look enough like a rat. It really does have a dog looking head.
  • Elzean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elzean polycounter lvl 3
    Ha yes, i have been trying to get his head shape better to not get that dog feel :/ 

I need to see how i could change that more. Here is side view:

I think i might need to make the front of his face smaller:

I have lots of troubles to get the face look right...

If anything i would like it to look more like those concept: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/LbZYk

This guy will have cloth later on too.

For the style itself i would like it more or less like "Pine" does:

Let me know if you have any idea what i could change!

Also if you know an artist that could do those and that would be able to work with us as freelance or as part of the team that would be nice too :)
  • Elzean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elzean polycounter lvl 3
    A rapid change to his face, more like triangle shape, does that feel more like rat ?

• kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    lotet said:
    I dont think its a warewolf, its a rat monster.  might be something to consider for OP though, that it dosnt look enough like a rat. It really does have a dog looking head.
    Ooops my apology.
  • Elzean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elzean polycounter lvl 3
    I actually redid some high poly using what i started for retopology and some adjustement to get sharper edges and the subdivision modifier. I get a much cleaner look and i think something much nearer to the result i would like (Pine). It allow me to make the small hairs around his face much better too. 

It's a bit long to do to get the details right but seems better, so is this a good approach ?

• Elzean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elzean polycounter lvl 3
    kanga said:
    lotet said:
    Ooops my apology.
    Thats fine, i felt it was looking like a dog too so i need to get it too look more like a rat
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Its looking a lot more like a rat in the face!

your ears are wrong though, Rat Ears are round.
    I get that your trying to get a more stylized feel with the pointy stuff, but I think you've taken it a tad to far and lost the iconic shape.
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    Elzean said:
    kanga said:
    lotet said:
    Ooops my apology.
    Thats fine, i felt it was looking like a dog too so i need to get it too look more like a rat
    That will teach me to read the thread title!
    I like the concept art. Its a tough one, but I agree the sculpt could be more rat like,
  • Elzean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elzean polycounter lvl 3
    lotet said:
    Its looking a lot more like a rat in the face!

your ears are wrong though, Rat Ears are round.
    I get that your trying to get a more stylized feel with the pointy stuff, but I think you've taken it a tad to far and lost the iconic shape.
    Hey thanks! Yes the ears seemed wrong so i tried to change them. Here is a new version, the clothing are just testing a bit:

• lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    I barely noticed any difference in the ears tbh, I think you could push it way further.

you should really look at some rat references and try to copy it. you can push the shapes for a more stylized look after that if you want too.
  • Elzean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elzean polycounter lvl 3
    lotet said:
    I barely noticed any difference in the ears tbh, I think you could push it way further.

you should really look at some rat references and try to copy it. you can push the shapes for a more stylized look after that if you want too.
    I changed it a bit more:

Its very round more like real mouse/rats, various concept i looked at are often more "pointy", i will see later to adjust from that a bit. I would like to have variation with missing pieces of ear like holes. 
  • gem2492
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gem2492 polycounter lvl 5
    Making the ears that round kinda makes it lose its character. I think the problem with the ears you did before was that the base of the ears were not rounded enough.

I think this is somewhat similar to the concept:

The concept had pointed ears, yeah, but as you can see the ear is thin where attaches in the head, and becomes fat at the base and gradually thins out... like a triangle with rounded corners. Like what was said before, you can stylize it after you get it right. What I can suggest is that you make it like the in the picture and then just make the tip pointed.

Maybe something like this:

• Elzean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elzean polycounter lvl 3
    gem2492 said:
    Making the ears that round kinda makes it lose its character. I think the problem with the ears you did before was that the base of the ears were not rounded enough.

Yes i tried to make it thinner but i guess i was a bit lazy cause to go futher i have to change the topology a bit, will try that now.

I tried to rapidly rig him (one finger is not right and the tail is not rig) to test a pose and see how he could looks:

• Elzean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elzean polycounter lvl 3
    Ok so here is another try with the ears :p

Do you feel like this is better ? Its still rounded but kind of more triangle, and thinner near as it get near the top
  • gem2492
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gem2492 polycounter lvl 5
    Yeah, that's definitely better :)