Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP Stgw. 57 / SIG 510

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
gfelton polycounter lvl 6
Hey all! Finally had the time to start a brand new project and I settled on the Sturmgewehr 57. Here are the current high poly WIPs:

At the moment I'm just getting the topology in the right spots from the blockout, so some parts like the stock and barrel shroud will likely be replaced quite soon. Any critiques are appreciated, thanks for looking :)

Replies

• Zi0
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter
    Interesting gun to model, good luck!

• gfelton
    Offline / Send Message

Here's a very dirty screengrab of tonight's progress. Still have a lot of pieces I need to replace yet that will all come with time. having a lot of fun with this combination of organic and machined hardsurface pieces. :)
  • gfelton
    Offline / Send Message

Some more progress from both today and yesterday, very few parts are in need of a facelift now and the finish line for the HP is in sight :)
  • 9Solid
    Offline / Send Message
    9Solid polycounter lvl 8
    Hey gfelton, 

This thing rocks. There's a lot of interesting shapes going on with this gun. I love the intermittent holes in the barrel, the organic hand grip in front of the magazine, and the sights look really cool, some close ups of them would be nice to see. A few things that stood out to be was the stock. It doesn't seem "sharp" enough in some areas. 

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/4e/fb/02/4efb0292a0ffdbcd3c9ac6f28bda9b2a.jpg

I found this image of it, and right behind the hole seems to have a more hard angle then the round smooth edge in your model. The bottom of the stock seems to have sharper edges too, but it's hard to tell and I could be wrong. In addition to that, I would add the little holes that the strap goes through, even if you aren't including the strap in the finished product. It's just more visually interesting than one big hole to me.

Finally, the grip might be sharper and more angular than in your model and it looks like there's ridges on the front of the grip as well as the sides that you included. 

I'm excited to see this thing finished, overall it's a good model of a really cool rifle.
  • gfelton
    Offline / Send Message
    9Solid said:
    I would add the little holes that the strap goes through, even if you aren't including the strap in the finished product. It's just more visually interesting than one big hole to me.
    Ah very good find, I actually didn't notice this when I was looking at my reference pics. I will definitely add this next chance I have to work on it, I agree - it would help add some visual interest to that area of the model. Also the details on the pistol grip will come as well when the final detail passes come about. Thanks for the critique, really appreciate it :)
  • gfelton
    Offline / Send Message

Finished up some proportions and added the last of the 'big' pieces. Will now move onto details such as manufacturing marks, screws + bolts etc, and molding/casting artifacts.
  • gfelton
    Offline / Send Message

Have been rather busy lately so here's all I've got for today. I've begun adding all the fun little details and have just about finished this side of the gun's engravings.
  • gfelton
    Offline / Send Message

One more small detail to go and the high poly will be finished :)
  • gfelton
    Offline / Send Message
    100% finished with the high poly :)

• gfelton
    Offline / Send Message
    Have been rather busy but I managed to get the bakes finished up :)
  • gfelton
    Offline / Send Message
    Have been having a blast texturing this thing. While most of the parts below are just base values to see how the color palette fits (and getting a bit carried away with that :) ) and how the roughness feels, steady progress is definitely being made!
    I'd love to hear some feedback on my materials as to what looks good, and what I should consider changing :)
  • gfelton
    Offline / Send Message

Just some dirty screen grabs from the other night.
  • gfelton
    Offline / Send Message
    Some more recent screens from just a few minutes ago. At the moment *most* of these pieces are base values waiting on some detail passes. At the moment I'm laying out base values on the roughness and albedo maps to see how everything feels together with minimal details.
    Critique is encouraged :)
  • gfelton
    Offline / Send Message

Some friends helped me get the lighting dialed in to really show off these materials, here they are in all their glory :)
  • ComradeDispenser
    Offline / Send Message
    ComradeDispenser polycounter lvl 3
    not sure if i really like that smudged look on the receiver to be honest. looks quite good on the furniture, but you need some more sharper details, or more metalness on that metal
  • gfelton
    Offline / Send Message
    not sure if i really like that smudged look on the receiver to be honest. looks quite good on the furniture, but you need some more sharper details, or more metalness on that metal
    Do you mean add some contrast to some parts of the receiver? Also I'm not sure what you mean by "more metalness", does it read a bit like plastic?
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    JoshuaG said:
    Your metalness values should be either 0 or 100%.
    No, that's misinformation; metalness does not have to be binary. Not that OP has stated they're using metalness or spec yet anyway.
  • ComradeDispenser
    Offline / Send Message
    ComradeDispenser polycounter lvl 3
    gfelton said:
    Do you mean add some contrast to some parts of the receiver? Also I'm not sure what you mean by "more metalness", does it read a bit like plastic? 
    yea, the metal reads a bit like plastic right now. there isnt that much difference between the furniture and the receiver, at least in my eyes  :)
    JoshuaG said:
    Your metalness values should be either 0 or 100%. There should be no base metal that is half metal or 75% metal. Usually metal on guns would be no less than 50% roughness. 
    that's wrong and let me tell you why.

mind you, i am aware of the fact that most guides will tell you that it has to be this way, in order to retain a physically accurate material. surely, there's truth in that, but unfortunately we are simply not ready for this yet, since most renderers arent advanced enough to portray materials that realistically (marmoset maybe being the exception, but it kinda works on plain materials, not when advanced meshes come into play. this is why you may sometimes see guns looking like mirrors in some artstation submissions). and besides, saying something like this is like saying you are restricted to only 2 values in the specular map as long as the spec/gloss workflow is concerned - some really dark grey color and pure white. that's simply not the case and values in between exist.

of course, in the end you might disagree, but one thing to note here is this - it works as long as it looks cool, keep physics out of this, because at the end of the day these are game assets we're working on, not super realistic CAD models  :)

• gfelton
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek said:
    No, that's misinformation; metalness does not have to be binary. Not that OP has stated they're using metalness or spec yet anyway.
    Yep using metalness on this project.
    -snip-
    Thank you for this, this was a fantastic write-up! While I haven't (yet) strayed too far from the binary metalness values when it comes to my materials, I was definitely planning on doing so when I would be exposing some of the bare metal with my wear.
  • gfelton
    Offline / Send Message
    Brought the roughness down (as per a friend's suggestion) to try and get these metals feeling less like plastic. What do you guys think?
  • gfelton
    Offline / Send Message
    Got even more help on the lighting and overall scene composition
  • gfelton
    Offline / Send Message
    After a decently long hiatus, I've been able to make some progress on the materials. I'm pretty content with material read at this point and will be making some detail passes in the coming days :)

• Zi0
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter
    It looks like the magazine is made from the same metal like the receiver etc. I dont know if that's the case with the real rifle but that's something because it looks a bit weird to me.
  • gfelton
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 said:
    It looks like the magazine is made from the same metal like the receiver etc. I dont know if that's the case with the real rifle but that's something because it looks a bit weird to me.
    Huh, I hadn't noticed this but I will definitely address it. Thanks for pointing that out.
  • gfelton
    Offline / Send Message

As my finals are coming up soon, I'm running out of free time to work on this thing, unfortunately. Should have some proper updates this weekend, but for now, here are some quick renders I whipped up last night
  • gfelton
    Offline / Send Message
    Exams are done for me and I am almost done with the textures :) Here are two quick renders I put together last night:

For the moment, I'm just trying to get all of the big details done on every piece, then I will make a dust pass, and finally another pass on edge wear. What do you guys think?
  • Zi0
    Offline / Send Message
    Zi0 polycounter
    So far so good, maybe give some parts a bit lighter colour to add some contrast.
  • gfelton
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I'll get some more colors going soon. Here's a quick render I did today.