Home Career & Education

How to stay focus in school?

vertex
Offline / Send Message
Miho-Chan vertex
Hi polycounters! 

I will be going to a college for 3D Modeling, Art & Animation program at BCIT soon. The program is very short (15 months) and kinda expensive, so I wanted to be able to land a job as a 3d artist after graduation (at least makes sure my work is good enough). I knew often have trouble to balance study and play.  So I am worried that I would not be able to stay focused on build my skills as a 3d artist and spend way too much time on video games.  And Plus, I knew if I just finish assignments, my work will not be good enough to get me a job. I need to learn more on my own. 

I would like to borrow some wisdom from fellow polycounts. How do you keep yourself study hard? And how did you spend your time at college? 

Thanks! 

Replies

• Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Well, for me, what worked the best was, to strictly play and do 3d stuff late into the day. So, i'd usually study when i get home, and when i finish with studying, i'd go play at some sort of reward, if will. I learned the biggest mistake for me at least, was to do playing / 3d stuff before actual study. That never went well for me at least.  :P

Basically, just make a plan to stury first, and play games at evening or so, once you are done with study.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    These topics belong in Career & Education, not in General Discussion. I'll move it for you.
  • Lucas Annunziata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    I don't know what program you're looking at, but I can tell you that even with longer more rigorous educational institutions, chances are that if you are just finishing your assignments and not going above and beyond, working on personal projects, and spending extra time soaking up information and tutorials from polycount etc. then you will most likely not be prepared to get a job as a 3d artist. 

I'm sure there are exceptions to this, but if you want to go from noob to hireable in ~15 months, then you're going to need a hardcore regiment of study, practice, work, and only a little time for play. Play and relaxation is important to prevent burnout, but you have to be hungry for it. There are plenty of people vying for those same positions, so you need to stand out from the crowd of others applying.

Work hard, and play games occasionally for research/as a reminder to why you are doing this.
  • SpaceRogue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpaceRogue polycounter lvl 3
    I just chewed my way trough a 12 month 3DMax crash course so I think I'll add my 2 cents. 
    I did not spend any time at a collage since it was just a school, I spend nearly all my time modelling making every mistake a rooky could possibly make, but learning in the progress. That was if I wasn't travelling because the buss drive was a 5 hour trip (yeah, not kidding I didn't have the money for a train or a dorm ) 

Make the sacrifice of spending as little time as possible on games or entertainment, its only a year, if the course is anything like mine then you'll be needing it just to finish the assignments on a higher level, or learn programs like Substance, zbrush and or Unreal at home to get that boost in quality. 
    Keep it realistic, thers a high probability your folio will feel very 'freshly graduate' and with the lack of personal time the chance is high that you will have to make a new folio right after leaving school. Perhaps start gathering ideas for folio pieces in the meantime. 

I wish I could end this with good news like 'I have a job now !' but elas it slipped right true my fingers, that would have been too easy I guess.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    If you haven't done any 3d work before I do not think 15 months will be long enough to graduate with a job lined up.

I would not rely on that.
  • Miho-Chan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Miho-Chan vertex
    Zocky said:
    Well, for me, what worked the best was, to strictly play and do 3d stuff late into the day. So, i'd usually study when i get home, and when i finish with studying, i'd go play at some sort of reward, if will. I learned the biggest mistake for me at least, was to do playing / 3d stuff before actual study. That never went well for me at least.  :P

Basically, just make a plan to stury first, and play games at evening or so, once you are done with study.
    Thanks, Zocky. That sounds like a pretty good idea which I have never thought about. Will give it a try and see if this works for me. I used to play first and do work. 
  • Miho-Chan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Miho-Chan vertex
    These topics belong in Career & Education, not in General Discussion. I'll move it for you.
    Apologies for post in the wrong spot!
  • Miho-Chan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Miho-Chan vertex
    I don't know what program you're looking at, but I can tell you that even with longer more rigorous educational institutions, chances are that if you are just finishing your assignments and not going above and beyond, working on personal projects, and spending extra time soaking up information and tutorials from polycount etc. then you will most likely not be prepared to get a job as a 3d artist. 

I'm sure there are exceptions to this, but if you want to go from noob to hireable in ~15 months, then you're going to need a hardcore regiment of study, practice, work, and only a little time for play. Play and relaxation is important to prevent burnout, but you have to be hungry for it. There are plenty of people vying for those same positions, so you need to stand out from the crowd of others applying.

Work hard, and play games occasionally for research/as a reminder to why you are doing this.
    Hi, Lucas.   This is a good reminder to me why I dropped out University and choose this career path. Now I knew pretty well that 15 month is pretty short and time is precious. Thank you for your advice.
  • Miho-Chan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Miho-Chan vertex
    I just chewed my way trough a 12 month 3DMax crash course so I think I'll add my 2 cents. 
    I did not spend any time at a collage since it was just a school, I spend nearly all my time modelling making every mistake a rooky could possibly make, but learning in the progress. That was if I wasn't travelling because the buss drive was a 5 hour trip (yeah, not kidding I didn't have the money for a train or a dorm ) 

Make the sacrifice of spending as little time as possible on games or entertainment, its only a year, if the course is anything like mine then you'll be needing it just to finish the assignments on a higher level, or learn programs like Substance, zbrush and or Unreal at home to get that boost in quality. 
    Keep it realistic, thers a high probability your folio will feel very 'freshly graduate' and with the lack of personal time the chance is high that you will have to make a new folio right after leaving school. Perhaps start gathering ideas for folio pieces in the meantime. 

I wish I could end this with good news like 'I have a job now !' but elas it slipped right true my fingers, that would have been too easy I guess.
    Hi, SpaceRogue.  I agree. 15 months is pretty short and I do need to take a step (or steps)  further so I could graduate and be as prepared as possible.  And I do need to cut my entertainment time as much as possible.  Thanks for sharing your advice. And good luck to both of us, i guess. ^_^
  • Miho-Chan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Miho-Chan vertex
    beefaroni said:
    If you haven't done any 3d work before I do not think 15 months will be long enough to graduate with a job lined up.

I would not rely on that.
    HI, beefaroni!  I knew 15 month is kind short. But will give it a try first. Give everything I got and see how it ends up. It is still better than to go for a fine art degree in university I guess.