Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

"Smoking Kills" ESMC Sniper Helmet and Charging Station

model

Hey everyone, sharing my latest project here. Comments and criticism welcome:

European State Marine Corp Sniper Helmet and Charging Station with Sureshot Industries range-selection focusing. (Modified by Sgt. Tom Bailey, 42 confirmed kills.)

• High poly sculpting and hard-surface modeling in Blender.
  • Low poly retopology in Blender.
  • Texturing in Substance Painter.
  • Decals and additional texturing in Photoshop and Inkscape.
This started out following along Kent Trammell's fantastic "Sci-fi Helmet" hard-surface sculpting tutorial over at CGCookie but then I decided to take it and run with it retopologizing it to a real-time model and setting it into a diorama and adding the smokes and jerry-rigged cigarette vent.

Some of the behind the scenes:

Setting up planar reference images in MyPaint:

Hard-surface sculpting in progress in Blender:

Adding high-poly details using photo reference:

Retopology in Blender:

Setting up UVs in Blender:

Baking and combining AO in xNormal and Blender:

Paint-Over tests in Photoshop:

Adding decals from Inkscape and Photoshop in Substance Painter:

Replies

• PaulChambers3D
    And here's a bunch of still renders courtesy of Marmoset Toolbag:

• CrackRockSteady
    I think your model is really cool but right now the material definition and presentation is lacking.  I would gather up a ton of reference for the different material types that you're shooting for and really study them and try to tackle them one by one.
  • PaulChambers3D
    I think your model is really cool but right now the material definition and presentation is lacking.  I would gather up a ton of reference for the different material types that you're shooting for and really study them and try to tackle them one by one.
    Thanks for the constructive criticism. Much appreciated it. Is there a particular example? e.g. the green paint? the air filters?
  • CrackRockSteady
    I should have been more specific with my first response, sorry about that.  Some of your materials currently read okay, for example the painted metal and some of the plastics/rubbers, what you're mostly missing is that extra layer of detail that sells the believability.  Dust, grime, smudges, small scale scratches, that sort of thing.  You already have some of that, and I'm not even saying you need to go crazy with it, but right now it's not quite at the point where I believe this as a real-world object.

The duct tape could use some work on readability, currently it feels somewhere between duct tape and cloth.  The gray tubes coming out of the side are also a bit hard to read, may just need some extra love in your gloss/roughness map.

The lighting setup can use some love too, but for right now I would focus on materials a bit more.

Overall looking good though!  I like the photoshop color comps you did before diving into texturing :)
  • PaulChambers3D
    Thanks for the clarity. Yep I feel like I didn't quite nail the duct tape.And I could do some more detail on the paint work. I didn't' do a lot of grunge outside of the edge wear. Great feedback.T hanks!