Home Quixel Megascans

Answered: What is the status of the include seams checkbox in the Quixel roadmap?

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Remerbr polycounter lvl 7
I'm specifically talking about this.

Quixel is an awesome program but its curvature baker leaves a lot to be desired. Being able to include seams in the baker would solve so many of my issues with the program.

I don't own Substance so does anyone have a good free/cheap alternative to Quixel's curvature baker, or maybe a way to circumvent the issue that doesn't involve painting a map manually?

And if any Quixel guys are reading this - any update on the status of this feature? :D

Replies

• Synaesthesia
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    No updates yet.

I haven't heard of any reports involving UV seams lately. Are you still experiencing it? If so, the best option would be to try using xNormal to bake your curvature map.
  • Remerbr
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm surprised not many people have brought this to Quixel's attention as I've heard at least a couple people mention this missing feature in passing and how it is a major flaw. I've just compiled a couple example screenshots below. As you can see the object on the right has a seam separating the two faces, while the left has no seam. The two objects are exactly the same otherwise. I applied an edge tarnish mask to a metal material and only see edge tarnish on the left object with no seam. 

This happens with every single object regardless of weather or not it has a normal map applied. If a sharp edge is on a seam, you're out of luck. 

I love this program as it makes getting a solid texture easy and simple but this is a major hindrance for me. The curvature baker just isn't fully featured and the current solution shouldn't be "use a different program". 

• Synaesthesia
    Offline / Send Message
    Synaesthesia polycounter
    Until the baker is upgraded to fix this particular issue, there's nothing I can offer as a suggestion other than using another program to create a curvature map. I do apologize for the inconvenience but that's really the only solution to this for now.
  • Remerbr
    Offline / Send Message
    Until the baker is upgraded to fix this particular issue, there's nothing I can offer as a suggestion other than using another program to create a curvature map. I do apologize for the inconvenience but that's really the only solution to this for now.
    No worries :D As long as you guys are aware of the issue and looking for a solution that is good enough for me for now. 
  • versan
    Offline / Send Message
    versan polycounter lvl 3
    I personally never used Quixel Ddo for baking curvatures, always done it with the Excellent Knald !