Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Can you bake mesh high poly into low poly and retain holes/transparency?

White_wizard
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
White_wizard polycounter lvl 2
Hi guys, I was wondering is there a possible way to bake this high poly mesh unto the low poly and retain the holes/transparency of the high poly mesh? 
Thanks

Replies

• PolyBrother
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyBrother polycounter lvl 7
    Yes, but you'll have to create an alpha mask which you can derive from baking a flat color map.

Also, use JPG files when posting.
  • White_wizard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahh okay thanks, do you by any chance know how to create an alpha mask/ flat color map/derive alpha mask from flat color map? I use maya and substance painter for baking, is the flat color mask an ID map? 
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    pretty much any mask you can put in alpha channel which is black and white. Just take ID map, diffuse, whatever, make the grating white and the background black and put in alpha channel of diffuse  and youre done. 
  • White_wizard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the response Alex, sorry I am completely new to this, where would I do this, in maya? would this be before or after i texture it? and could i display it the same way in marmoset? Tbh I am not familiar with alpha channel, diffuse map or flat color maps, i don't know what they are or how you get them. ID map i know you can get in substance painter