Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

L129A1 "Sharpshooter" Rifle

Eotech
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Eotech polycounter lvl 3
Probably the thing I'm most happy with creating so far, so thought I'd make a thread for it.

Model is the L129A1 "Sharpshooter" Rifle in service with the British Armed Forces, Also added a TA648-308 ACOG with RM01 Mounted on top, Plus a Folding Grip mounted under the barrel. 
This model was created for use in an Arma III Mod, Will post a few screenshots of it in game at some point, once its all in and working. Model led in 3DS Max, Textured in Substance Painter, Rendered in Marmoset Toolbag 3.

Replies

• VΓΛ:D
    Offline / Send Message
    VΓΛ:D null
    This is just insanely amazing. What mod will this beauty be in? I'm so hyped for this.
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator

Greetings fellow Arma enthusiast.

Some crits: The edges on the model are extremely sharp, which doesn't read too well. Additionally many edges seem to have black lines (did you bake with an averaged projection cage?) — this is most obvious on the magazine. Other areas suffer from aliasing; I didn't bother painting them all as it should be obvious. The edge wear and grime could use a bit of tweaking; some areas are completely clean while others are splattered with grunge.

Some materials are also quite bland; again the magazine is an obvious example. Also I wouldn't recommend having DOF on in half the pics if you're looking for crits. For the texel density stuff, it's generally better to give islands an equal (or near equal) texel density, because mismatches are easy to spot, even by non-artists. I know in arma the hand will cover the grip most of the time anyway, but you do see it when the gun is on the ground. Plus it looks bad in renders.

Also did you make the rails to spec or are they just eyeballed?
  • Eotech
    Offline / Send Message
    Eotech polycounter lvl 3
    Thanks for your feedback bek, very much appreciated! Just to respond to a few of your points...(its been a while since I worked on this so forgive me I might have forgotten certain things) :)

• I didn't use a cage file for the bake, if that's what you mean, I haven't really managed to get the hang of creating one that works any good yet.
    • I didn't apply any anti-aliasing to the bake, as I was in and out of SP/3DS quite a lot, forgot to do a final back with it on, which may help reduce some of these issues?
    • I have reworked the magazine since these renders, But I cant remember whether I moved the indentations onto the normal map or not. It definitely got some love in terms of the textures etc, I'll try and post some updated renders (without DoF) when I've had a look at some of your tweaks.
    • I definitely need to work on my UV Mapping/Texel density, its probably my biggest pitfall at the moment.
    • The rails should be roughly to spec, Its in game/working and stuff seems to look alright attached to it, Although I'm happy to be corrected if they're blatantly wrong. 

Here's a cheeky WIP image of it in game...

VΓΛ:D, this will be in included in the 3CB Weapons Pack at some point in the future.
  • Swaggletooth
    Offline / Send Message
    Swaggletooth polycounter lvl 5
    Honestly I think it's very good as it is. I wouldn't ever worry too much about the righthand side of a gun unless if you're aiming to specifically render that side - otherwise you'll be getting yourself into timewasting habits.
    I would agree with Bek on the magazine, which could use stuff like dust or grease and perhaps some highlights; also the overall grunge placement could definitely use some work - as it is it looks decent, but in places it could be toned down (like on mostly planar surfaces) and in concave/convex areas needs more.

Getting your texel density right is an easy thing to address, at least if you're aware of it you can address it. Set up your initial checker texture to an easily readable size and go from there!
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Honestly I think it's very good as it is. I wouldn't ever worry too much about the righthand side of a gun unless if you're aiming to specifically render that side - otherwise you'll be getting yourself into timewasting habits.
    Nah. You can see everything in Arma 3. Even when locked to first person you can shoulder the weapon on the left (letting you see the right hand side of the gun) or when it's on the ground, the right hand side is always facing up, or when someone else is holding it... Plus it's not that much effort to do the other side in the first place anyway.

re: texel density, if your modeling app doesn't have native tools for it there will almost certainly be a script. Once I unwrap my pieces I guesstimate a texel density and apply it to all islands, quickly pack the largest peices and see if it looks like it'll fit. If not, I adjust texel density again. This cuts down on wasted time packing things, realising there's wasted space, having to scale thing up and shuffle it all around again.

edit: also I just saw this gun was on Forgotten Weapons recently. Pretty neat. There's also a small gallery of pictures in the accompanying blog post.
  • VΓΛ:D
    Offline / Send Message
    VΓΛ:D null
    Nice to hear that! I was a huge fan of 3CB mods a long time ago! I just happened to run into this site. Sorry for not being able to give any constructive suggestions :)