Home Career & Education

Physically Based Rendering - Honours Project Research

null
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Sp4rks0rz null
Hi guys, this is my first post here. I am currently in my final year studying 3D Computer animation and am studying Physically Based Rendering. I have made a short survey, takes around 1 and a half mins to complete about PBR and texturing. If you have the time it would be incredibly helpful to hear from such talented artists and would really help with my Honours research! Thanks in advance!

https://goo.gl/forms/8FneEhHZAZgqKue93

Replies

• lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    answered. I think some of the questions are not as complex as they need to be though.

for example PBR is tied very closely to programs like Substance and Quixel. without those programs its quite a complex deal. with questions like "is PBR easier then Spec/gloss?" you really have two very separate answers if you have access to programs like Painter or if you have to do it manually.

there is also a bit of unfair comparability going on since PBR is from around 2010 while the old Spec shader has been around since the late 90s (maybe earlier? I couldn't find a date on this, maybe some other nice polycounter knows). 

comparing them is like comparing a PS1 and a PS3, on a technical level, one is objectively better.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    spec/gloss and pbr are not mutually exclusive... you can use spec/gloss in a pbr workflow, and maaany people do!

• oglu
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    yes PBR does work with spec/gloss or metal/roughness...
  • Eric Chadwick
    Moving this from General Discussion to Career & Education.
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Im pretty sure OP is referring to the old shader workflow, not spec/gloss as in what your using for your PBR textures.

atleast thats what I assumed, otherwise it would be a very strange survey indeed.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    lotet said:
    Im pretty sure OP is referring to the old shader workflow, not spec/gloss as in what your using for your PBR textures.

atleast thats what I assumed, otherwise it would be a very strange survey indeed.
    i'm sure he is... however, using questions like this shows that either he doesn't understand the terms correctly, or that he doesn't mind the spread of incorrect information.
  • beefaroni
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Yea a bit of a strange question.

Is texturing using PBR faster than using a Specular/Gloss workflow?

Is PBR a simpler or a more complex method of texturing than Specular/Gloss?

Those don't quite make sense.

If it was phrased as "Is PBR faster than using a Spec/Gloss/Metalness (Cubemap) workflow then 100% yes.