Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] ROME | CHURCH of SANT'IVO

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
TyAnlauf polycounter lvl 3
Hello Everyone, I am currently working on a project focusing on modular modeling kit and leveling up my skill set in lighting, color and composition.  The project is inspired by the baroque architecture of the Roman Church of Sant'Ivo.

I will be posting  WIP shots regularly. All feedback is welcome and encouraged.
More images available here - ROME | CHURCH of SANT'IVO

Replies

• TyAnlauf
    Offline / Send Message
    Basic block out in UE4 with photo reference.

• TyAnlauf
    Offline / Send Message
    Reworked my block out proportions and playing with mood and lighting. 
    I'm mocking up some quick materials. So far I have only mocked up the cobblestone. The rest are the built-in UE4 materials which I will be replacing shortly with my own materials.

Next I will be replacing the BSP block out with LP geo and create more materials. 

Base Cobblestone WIP from Designer

Base Cobblestone WIP in UE4
  • TyAnlauf
    Offline / Send Message
    Update:

- Replacing some BSP meshes with models
    - Lighting and mood adjustments
    - Testing Lightmap 

There is still a lot more to be done.

• TyAnlauf
    Offline / Send Message
    Update:

New materials and light map adjustments. 

The start of my modular kit.

• TyAnlauf
    Offline / Send Message
    Cranking out more modular assets to replace the block out. There is a lot still to be done. 

Feel free to comment on things that look off or needs to be reworked. 

• KingKellogg
    Offline / Send Message
    KingKellogg polycounter lvl 6
    This is coming along nicely.
  • TyAnlauf
    Offline / Send Message
    Finishing up the modular kit. I have been mainly polishing some assets to hold up better when close to the camera, making texel density uniform and creating lightmap UVs. I have a few more assets left to polish then I can flesh out the lighting and mood.

• TyAnlauf
    Offline / Send Message
    Adjusted the lighting to give a more natural look. I'm still not 100% happy with the lighting, I think its missing something but I'm not sure what it is. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm going to polish up some textures and the church tower models while I ponder the lighting. 

• TyAnlauf
    Offline / Send Message
    Polishing and reworking some models and lighting.

Eventually I would like to add some foliage assets, add dirt and grime to the assets, I might play with adding some banners or flags, more models and model variation, and play with adding some puddles into the low shadowed parts of the cobblestone.

• Kaine123
    Offline / Send Message
    Kaine123 polycounter lvl 10
    The lighting and overall colors in this are damn good. I feel like you're def going in the right direction with your intention to add foliage, flags, etc. Some creeping vines and potted plants would breath so much life into this. I would definitely look to the assassins creed series for inspiration on set dressing. 
  • macoll
    Offline / Send Message
    macoll polycounter lvl 13
    Looks really really good! The lighitng is great! Subscribed ;)
  • Caiterade
    Offline / Send Message
    Caiterade polycounter lvl 3
  • Gilgamesh
    Offline / Send Message
    Gilgamesh polycounter lvl 12
    Lighting look excellent, could do with some colour still (I know it's still early on :P).
  • TyAnlauf
    Offline / Send Message
    Kaine123 said:
    The lighting and overall colors in this are damn good. I feel like you're def going in the right direction with your intention to add foliage, flags, etc. Some creeping vines and potted plants would breath so much life into this. I would definitely look to the assassins creed series for inspiration on set dressing. 
    Gilgamesh said:
    Lighting look excellent, could do with some colour still (I know it's still early on :P).

Ah yes, creeping vines and potted plants would add a nice touch. I will try those out and that will give me a good excuse to add more color as well.  Thanks for the suggestions.
  • Swaggletooth
    Offline / Send Message
    Swaggletooth polycounter lvl 5
    Wow, this has really gone places! You've really pulled it forward from your original blockout.

Looks like you're almost there, I think the main thing standing out is the courtyard which could either use some random details (missing stones, puddles or some suitable greebles like a delivery); at the very least it would benefit from a macro texture to break up the repeating tiles.
  • littleclaude
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Great work, fantastic use on construction for its modular creation. The ground repeat could do with breaking up a little, maybe some decals might give it what you need.

Well done, great work.
  • TyAnlauf
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey all, I'm back!

Things have really been picking up at work so I have not had much time to work on this piece.  

The biggest change is the lighting. Something about it was really bugging me so I started over from the ground up. 
    I also was experimenting with foliage and adding some proxy flag meshes just as tests. They still need to be refined.

Next I will be adding more details to my current models and taking many of your suggestions people have posted on this thread. I am seeing some great feedback and cool ideas to try out.
    - Foliage
    - Decals
    - Props!
    - Puddles
    - Grime and wear!

• Larry
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry interpolator
    Can you post some wireframe of your modular parts please? Because I tried once to make modular walls but the seams were so visible in the shadows... and you dont seem to have any objects covering the seams
  • TyAnlauf
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry said:
    Can you post some wireframe of your modular parts please? Because I tried once to make modular walls but the seams were so visible in the shadows... and you dont seem to have any objects covering the seams
    Hi Larry, 

I have experience the same frustrating issue you have with seams appearing in your level. To help you better I have a couple questions.

What engine are you using?
    Are you using baked lighting? If so, do you see these seams before or after you light bake? 

Seams are usually caused by a few things, your models are not snapping to your grid correctly, your baking settings are not high enough quality, your light map resolution may not be high enough, or other baking settings need to be adjusted to compensate for light leaking from your light maps. 

My models are built to snap perfectly together to avoid any gaps between models where the baker could detect light leaking through.

In some cases, seams are unavoidable but you can find other creative ways to hide them by adding other objects over them. For example vines, pipes, columns etc..
    Another solution could be to make your repeating objects in larger chunks and connecting them so they don't have seams as often and keep your UV islands as large as possible to minimize your UV seams. 

Resources: (From UE4 but some concepts are relevant for other engines. 
    https://forums.unrealengine.com/development-discussion/content-creation/18356-modular-asset-lighting-problem?46269-Modular-Asset-Lighting-Problem=

In most cases you don't need custom lightmap UVs for UE4, their packing system is pretty good, but if you do, this may help
    https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/Content/Types/StaticMeshes/LightmapUnwrapping/

https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest/INT/Engine/Rendering/LightingAndShadows/Lightmass/#gettingthebestqualitywithlightmass

I hope this helps to get you started.
  • TyAnlauf
    Offline / Send Message
    Larry said:
    In addition to my previous post. Epic did a fantastic live stream 2 days ago on light maps in UE4 which covers all the topics I mentioned previously. Most engines work the same way in regards to processing meshes for light maps and you can use some of these concepts in another engine if not using UE4.  

Light map seams are touched on near the end of the video in the Q&A section but setting up your UVs correctly among other concepts they talk about should definitely help as well.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/207527702
  • TyAnlauf
    Offline / Send Message

Found some time to work on this between projects.

Adding new arch, ceiling and trim models
    Adjusting material roughness and reflections
    Testing out some new compositions and using some warmer lighting.
  • FreneticPonies
    Offline / Send Message
    FreneticPonies polycounter lvl 3
    Maybe a touch too blue in the shadows on that middle one? Looks nice otherwise!
  • shabba
    Offline / Send Message
    shabba polycounter lvl 15
    Really great to see all your progress!

- I wonder if it would be worthwhile (depending on how the UVs are mapped) if you could use a world position to offset the U/V direction of that granite texture? It is pretty noticeable of the same pattern repeated over and over. Might be worthwhile to do for variation. Or do another version, and do a vertex blend between the two. That might be a better option, you could create one map (already made) that had the directional horizontal lines, and then another map that has no directionality but the same detail, and then blend between the two using vertex alpha. Both would be sweet.
    - I think the scale of the cobblestone is a bit small, i wouldnt increase it alot. But a bit, so they read a bit better from higher up, and better to the refs.

Also, the grass/moss you have right now, I dont think looks natural. I'd look at a couple images, i found two decent ones.
    http://c8.alamy.com/comp/DXM979/italy-rome-view-to-courtyard-of-sant-ivo-alla-sapienza-DXM979.jpg
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-mPPwGRj9Wsw/UVOHtlCj2mI/AAAAAAAAIVs/KY_Z3o4_qfk/s640/IMG_0611.jpg
    - Notice how the cracks between are the only parts that have moss/grass/weeds, and the viewing angle is actually the only thing that makes it look like there is moss on the surface of actual stones? Its just the height variation of the weeds, and the viewing angle of the shots. The stone surfaces themselves are actually free of moss. 

Keep going!
  • TyAnlauf
    Offline / Send Message
    shabba said:
    Really great to see all your progress!

- I wonder if it would be worthwhile (depending on how the UVs are mapped) if you could use a world position to offset the U/V direction of that granite texture? It is pretty noticeable of the same pattern repeated over and over. Might be worthwhile to do for variation. Or do another version, and do a vertex blend between the two. That might be a better option, you could create one map (already made) that had the directional horizontal lines, and then another map that has no directionality but the same detail, and then blend between the two using vertex alpha. Both would be sweet.
    - I think the scale of the cobblestone is a bit small, i wouldnt increase it alot. But a bit, so they read a bit better from higher up, and better to the refs.

Also, the grass/moss you have right now, I dont think looks natural. I'd look at a couple images, i found two decent ones.
    http://c8.alamy.com/comp/DXM979/italy-rome-view-to-courtyard-of-sant-ivo-alla-sapienza-DXM979.jpg
    http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-mPPwGRj9Wsw/UVOHtlCj2mI/AAAAAAAAIVs/KY_Z3o4_qfk/s640/IMG_0611.jpg
    - Notice how the cracks between are the only parts that have moss/grass/weeds, and the viewing angle is actually the only thing that makes it look like there is moss on the surface of actual stones? Its just the height variation of the weeds, and the viewing angle of the shots. The stone surfaces themselves are actually free of moss. 

Keep going!

Awesome feedback Shabba!  I like your vertex blending idea and I plan on implementing that capability into the shaders and models soon. I think I might be able to use that same method to create the moss in the cobblestone more accurately like you mentioned. Honestly the cobblestone is a hack job at the moment that really needs some more love. Having the moss in the cracks and scale will definitely be something I'll address in the near future after polishing and building additional structural pieces.

Thank you!
  • TyAnlauf
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey all!

As nothing is ever "done" to us artists I decided to come back to this project to enhance some lighting, color grading and composition techniques. Especially playing with some recently added features in UE4. 

- Added new models and materials and refined some existing ones
    - More refined lighting
    - New compositions and re-crafted older ones
    - Subtle volumetric materials and FX to mimic small particles of dust in the air (in addition to standard volumetric fog) 
    - Tweaked color grading for a more natural and moody feel 

I believe it is important to nail the foundation of the environment before jumping into small details. The church in the vista still needs a polish pass. After that, its off to the fine details that really make the environment pop and bring life and story to the space. 

Stay tuned!  More images to come.

As always, any feedback no matter how small is appreciated. I love hearing your ideas.
    A few of you have some fantastic ideas that I will be getting around to in the detail phase! :) 

• FreneticPonies
    Offline / Send Message
    FreneticPonies polycounter lvl 3
    That's looking great! Really nice reflections off the tile floor material.
  • Finnn
    Offline / Send Message
    Finnn greentooth
    I love this scene. Your lighting, your materials is all looking very good :) The scattering of the grass is the only thing that is a little off to me. Could be more subtle I think. Otherwise great scene!
    Show us some material renders and breakdowns ! :P
  • Rmlambert
    Offline / Send Message
    Rmlambert polycounter lvl 4
    Damn, that lighting though. First image is really nice especially!
  • garcellano
    Offline / Send Message
    garcellano greentooth
    Hey, this is coming along!
    I like the approach and the idea.

This is a nick-picky call out, not sure if anyone mentioned this.
    The material you have on those columns have the same cracks and scratches around the same areas.
    Maybe rotate the mesh around, or have a duplicate (same mesh, UV's placed different), OR use a material-blend, to break the repetition, similar to what you did on the ground.
  • garcellano
    Offline / Send Message
    garcellano greentooth
    Oh, you can probably cover those columns with some decals to give it some variation.
  • polygons
    Offline / Send Message
    polygons polycounter lvl 4
    Really great work!
  • AFsoft
    Offline / Send Message
    AFsoft polycounter lvl 8
  • AutoExit
    Offline / Send Message
    AutoExit polycounter lvl 9
    I'll definitely use your work as reference. Great work!
  • TyAnlauf
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys!  I shall add some decals and adjust textures to avoid texture repetition and update the foliage sub surface scattering after the holidays.

Thanks @garcellano and @Finnn for the suggestions!
  • TyAnlauf
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are a couple more screenshots. I still have yet to apply the above feedback since life is getting busy at work and the holidays. 

• TyAnlauf
    Offline / Send Message
    A little breakdown gif of my process so far:
    Enjoy! :)

• garcellano
    Offline / Send Message
    garcellano greentooth
    Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiice
  • TyAnlauf
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are a few break down images of my modular kits.

• TyAnlauf
    Offline / Send Message

An article I did on my Rome: Church of Sant'Ivo scene with 80 Level. 
    Discussed a few concepts ranging from blockout, modular assembly, lighting, post process, composition and more. 

Original Article Here: Complex Modular Architecture Environment in UE4