Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Industrial Sci-Fi Corridor [WIP]

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Nicorepe polycounter lvl 4
Hi Guys!,

Recently I started a new environment as it's been a long time since I last did a personal one, so wanted to do something small without concept and to have some fun.
At this stage I am just trying shapes that I like and see what I can come up with as I currently don't have a clear design in mind. Here is the progress so far.
A few of the references I gathered as the style I will follow.

Also, as I am working this one at lunch, at home I started some materials and currently working on the trim sheet.

The epoxy is already adjusted so that I can change the color inside the engine.

Replies

• Nicorepe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A bit of an update on the trim sheet. So far I got the shapes I more or less want, going forward to apply materials on it and test in engine.

• Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Good inspiration, and nice starting materials! I think you could push the blockout\composition more, though. Would be a shame to waste those materials on a less impactful scene :)
  • Nicorepe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Spoon Thank you man!, yes the blockout its still super early I am working on it during lunch and playing with shapes at the moment decided to start for example with the ceiling, etc, and meanwhile back home I progress a bit on materials. Going to be updating more wip shots of all progress :)

Here is a really quick and small wip on the trimsheet applying the bare steell on the trim sheet. This weekend I'll be probably going to be testing in the scene to keep tweeking it.

• bsichterman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bsichterman polycounter lvl 6
    Nice going Nicooo, Ill be following this ;)
  • Nicorepe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Didjitalus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Didjitalus polycounter lvl 4
    cool stuff, looking forward to updates
  • JLHGameArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JLHGameArt greentooth
    If you're going to build up your blockout some more I'd suggest setting up some cameras and composing your intended shots now. So you can keep checking your composition as you put the scene together. It will also help with lighting as you will know where about you want your focal points. You might have already done this, but thought I'd point it out. 

Looking forward to seeing where this goes :)
  • Nicorepe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @JLHGameArt Thank you man!, yes I put a camera now and tested some shots, as still the blockout its really early I will be posting the whole process and also with the camera shot so you can all see :)
  • Nicorepe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Second update of the blockout. Still playing a bit with the ceiling, trying some stuff also with the pipe on the side, tested first pass materials. Not that sure about the pipes yet, gonna play with shapes to see what I come up with.

Also the following screenshots are following some of the first camera shots.

And back home started the painted metal material, to use in the scene, the color is adjusted and prepared for blending inside the engine.

• MurderzMedia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MurderzMedia polycounter lvl 4
  • siver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    siver greentooth
    You can add some smaller meshes like vents,cables,...
    Maybe change the shape of the pillars.
    Keep up the good work.
  • macoll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    macoll polycounter lvl 13
    Looks cool, subscribed ;)
  • Nicorepe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @siver thanks man!, yeah I was thinking of adding those details further in development, in dressing stage. About the pillars, I will start working on them once I get into the blockout of the walls :smile: .

@macoll Thank you man! :smile:

I am planning on uploading this weeking the first in progress shot on the walls and pillars.
  • Nicorepe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another update on the blockout. Started blocking the walls, testing texel density and got rid of the tubes section as currently didn't like the direction it was taking.
    Tomorrow will be focus on the columns and the door walls section with the pipes as currently its preety flat right now. The week focus will be to finish blockout and apply some first ligthing and trims on meshes.

Changed the view to light density as I liked more to see shapes :smile:

• Nicorepe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New update on the blockout for the columns, went a bit further and actually kind of starting to really like the direction. Next step is some tweeking on the top and bottom of columns and start on the wall section.

• AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    Hey man, had some feedback. I like the depth you have in some of the parts, and get some good AO. I would try and divide things less evenly if possible. The reason that more dynamic is good is that it creates visual hierarchy and it's more pleasing to the eye. My personal opinion I would try and find a better hallway shape, and try and break the boxy look. I find boxy and a lot of 45% angles can get very generic and not stand out when it comes to scifi. I'm sure it will look good rendered, but with a stronger design it will really stand out much more. 

Besides the eveness, I would try and push the forms of the walls and where all the elements meet, put your time into the transitional areas and your detail and depth. Like the pipes get some nice shadowing and value contrast, having more around your door and where the walls and doors and ceilings meet will really make it feel more solid and have more value contrast in the modeling stage. Dont be afriad to push and pull things to make them have more depth and play with forms! I'd also like to see some variety, and a ceiling that isn't divided down the middle and symmetric. 

Anyways hope this all helps looking forward to an update!

Here some some instances where I have given similar feedback and should
    give a solid example of why it matters if you're interested, if not just ignore but I think it's cool stuff.

"This is beneficial at times because it's similar to a photo, you dont want the subject too centered or the eye has nowhere to look. IN the same way your not placing strongest visuals centrally in this case will help the eye to wander to the rest of the design

I would try and focus on breaking your habit of evenness though and find new ways to remove it, from form to shapes, to composition to even placing a detail in the middle of a line. Those are just a few quick examples of this but will quickly help you to make your design read better but also feel more visually pleasing.

Here is another example I made of the more abstract idea of WHY evenness matters. A good way to see it is remember when you're a child and draw you will tend to space things evenly. When people organize things like pencils on a desk they often mindlessly place things evenly. Here is a good example of a childs drawing to illustrate. So in the same way that the natural world often doesn't distribute even, and has high contrast in many ways, we must incorporate this into our designs. We can give our scifi designs even this natural and pleasing feeling if we desire."

anyways I know this is long but hopefully it's helpful:) 

• Nicorepe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @AlexCatMasterSupreme Thank you so much for the detailed feedback!, totally love it and is right what I needed. The design part is something I really want to focus on this one as its a weak spot of mine. I will work more on the shapes taking into account everything you commented, specially to break that eveness. Thank you Alex!
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    Nicorepe said:
    @AlexCatMasterSupreme Thank you so much for the detailed feedback!, totally love it and is right what I needed. The design part is something I really want to focus on this one as its a weak spot of mine. I will work more on the shapes taking into account everything you commented, specially to break that eveness. Thank you Alex!

No problem! 

• Nicorepe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, this week I've made tons of changes, considering @AlexCatMasterSupreme feedback, I've been playing a lot more with shapes and quickly droping modules and shapes to the scene with what I came up. there are some pieces still to change once I decide to move to full modeling, but having fun and starting to play with the empty parts of the ceiling that I have now that I pulled some depth on it. Also the change to MODO has been slowing me down so baaaad but preety cool so far.

• Nicorepe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Last update before taking some holidays tomorrow. Recently finished a Rubber material on lunch breaks for my library and for the environment.

• LaurentiuN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LaurentiuN interpolator
    oO The new design looks already much better, keep up dude:>
  • Nicorepe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message