Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Tai Yong Medical Deus Ex Fan Art [UE4]

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
9Solid polycounter lvl 8
The few past projects I've put on Polycount have been posted when they're mostly finished, so I've never really detailed the entire process, so I'm excited to give it a go.

First, I'm taking this concept from Eidos as my main inspiration.

My plan is to break the scene into modular pieces, the walls and ceiling seem pretty repetitive. As for textures, and lighting I want to stick to the games very definitive pallatte, and that yellow/gold color. Also, being a kind of sci-fi noir, the high contrast should be notable. 

First I created a basic blockout, including the back steps and the railway entrance. From here I plan to make modular assets for the walls, ceiling and floor. Wish me luck!

Replies

• 9Solid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    9Solid polycounter lvl 8

Here's a quick update on Tai Yong. I was getting a little far with the environment textures so I decided to update now before I got any farther. I did finish the sliding doors, but I hid them to help visibility as I work on the scene. Up next I finish the track area, before moving on to the lockers, chairs and vending machines and then the final misc assets like the phones, cleaning supplies and trash.
  • 9Solid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    9Solid polycounter lvl 8

Finished up the track area. The main focus of the scene is the inside, so I didn't want to kill a lot of time on the track. I will put fuse boxes and decals on the wall later to break up the blank space above the pipes, but for now I'm going to leave it like this to focus on the assets inside the lobby area like the lockers and seats.
  • 9Solid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    9Solid polycounter lvl 8

Real quick update, but we have seats and lockers in place!
  • Borgleader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Borgleader polycounter lvl 6
    Woohoo! DX:HR is one of my favorite games! I can't wait to see where you take this :)
  • 9Solid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    9Solid polycounter lvl 8
    @Borgleader Thanks! I actually went back and played it all the way through and thought it'd be fun to try out some sci fi stuff. I bought it when it came out, but I got maybe halfway through before life got in the way.

Anyway, another quick update. I finished the famous (or infamous?) vending machine, used to kill mercenaries and soldiers the world over. This was actually a lot of fun, pulling most of my design from the kind of silly machine in the game with its "Immerse yourself in taste" tagline. Messing with a colored emissive texture, I was able to get the front and side panels, as well as the selection and payment screens/buttons lit up and looking pretty nice.
  • jwills
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jwills polycounter lvl 8
    @9Solid really nice work! I really like the concept and lighting this scene will be a lot of fun :) The only real problem I can see so far is the scale on the metal floor. The diamond patterns look a bit too big, its difficult to tell without a human reference but if someone was sitting on those chairs, their feet would only cover up two or three of the diamond patterns. So increasing the tiling would help dial in the scaling.
    Hopefully this image will help describe my point better. Just my two cents though :)

• 9Solid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    9Solid polycounter lvl 8
    @jwills You're totally right. I went in and fixed the metal panels. They're not quite as small as your reference, but any smaller and I think the details in the floor start to lose their impact.

Other updates include adding payphones that we'll obviously need in the future. (I actually just noticed the metal wire texture is accidently applied to the bottom rubber part of the right payphone, but that's a quick fix.) Adding trashcans. And lastly, learning how to generate static meshes along a spline object, which is pretty dope. This will allow me to create quick cables hanging from the ceiling and adjust everything instantly to my liking in engine, instead of relying entirely on geometry I pull from Maya.

• 9Solid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    9Solid polycounter lvl 8
    A few more updates as I'm getting closer to lighting and finishing this project up! I recently dropped in these vents, using Apex Cloth ribbons and a wind source to really push the blowing air effect. I also created some hologram signs, using a panner node with an overlay of lines to make them move. Using splines for cables didn't make a lot of sense after I looked into cable components within the engine. Splines were difficult to get to look "relaxed" and kind of reminded me more of pex cables without tweaking it a lot. Cable components worked great to get the look I was hoping for and were super simple to drop in and use. Finally I used an opacity map with the glass to get the Tai Yong logos on the windows.

• Borgleader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Borgleader polycounter lvl 6
    imo a bit too much bloom on those lights, otherwise this is coming along very nicely! :)
  • JLHGameArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JLHGameArt greentooth
    Looking really promising, just a few thoughts moving forward.

I'd say the lights could be toned down a bit, they're feeling very hot right now. Maybe those tube lights above the platforms could use some kind of gradient on them, feels like a large surface area of just solid light. Maybe add a tint of colour to the light as well, looks like it's pure white right now. 

Also the welcome signs and keypad screen's aren't readable, so need toning down.

Hanging cables have visible polygons that stand out a mile, so they could use some more geo.

Maybe some scale variation in the pipes on the wall? Or something to break them up a little.

Seeing a few hard edges on some of your models that could be smoothed out. 

For the lighting, where are your focal points intended to be? right now everything feels about the same brightness, so maybe worth having a think about composing a few shots for your beauty renders later on and light your scene with those camera angles in mind.

• 9Solid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    9Solid polycounter lvl 8
    @Borgleader The lights by the track or the indoor ones? I agree the outside ones could use some toning adjustments as well as variation in the emissive material.

@JLHGameArt I agree with the signs. I'll experiment with the emissive textures and the opacity to get the letters brighter than the background and hopefully increase readability. I believe cable components have a parameter for increasing geometry, so the tessellation isn't as noticeable.

The focal points are really going to be the back door with the lights above it, the platform with their overhanging lights and the signs. The lighting right now is all placeholder just so I can see as I drop in assets.
  • JLHGameArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JLHGameArt greentooth

Sorry this is the part of the cables I meant.
  • 9Solid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    9Solid polycounter lvl 8
    @JLHGameArtYep! I just doubled the amount of segments of geometry which smoothed them out pretty well. They defaulted to be pretty low.

• JLHGameArt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JLHGameArt greentooth
    Sweet, now following on from that, all the cables look to be the same thickness, it might be nicer to have some variation, and where the cables are thinner put a bunch of them together. Does look better though dude.
    Look forward to seeing how this progresses.
  • 9Solid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    9Solid polycounter lvl 8
    Hey, guys. A bunch more updates over the past few days. I added trash to the level which really helped push the grimy nature of the environment, adding atmosphere and making it seem more used. Along with that I lit the level, using mostly point lights with IES profiles. I  used vertex painting to create a puddle in the back as well as added dripping particles from a pipe which really doesn't read as well in still images. Go figure. 

I'm close to wrapping this project up. I might go in and adjust the roughness maps of some of the objects like the lights and the chairs before setting up some animated cameras and movement.

I just realized I forgot about the cable width @JLHGameArt but that's really easy to implement to get more variation.

• 9Solid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    9Solid polycounter lvl 8
    After a lot of minute tweaking, I'm just about to call this project done.

I edited together some animated cameras in the sequence editor which you can check out here. Still open for criticisms if there's anything you think I should change, but for the most part I'm really happy with the way this turned out!