Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Spider Mech - RW5 (WIP)

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Prime8 interpolator
I started a new project I would like to share with you.
Based on the Spider Mech 05 concept of @Stinger88 I'm going to create a 3D model.

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/lEGa5

I'm planning to use Substance Designer and Painter as an exercise for the texturing.
C&C is very welcome!

Replies

• Prime8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    I started with a rough blockout to make sure the proportions fit and joint movement works before doing the real modelling.
    At the moment I'm not so sure what to do with the exposed areas at the back under the pod, maybe some greebles will work.
    Added some missiles to the pod, other than that I tried to stick to the concept as much as possible.

• jose.fuentes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jose.fuentes interpolator
    you're off to a good start, cant wait to see the details start coming in 
  • Prime8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    Thank you Jose. I hope to get some work done on the coming weekend.
    In the meantime I made some rough variants for the turret, the drawing has not many details in that area.

• Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Hey, very cool man! Looks like you're off to a great start.

One critique regarding the sketch. My version is a little chunkier. So a slightly wider body and the middle section plate thing needs bringing forward a little. And the back end a bit larger,

Your version looks a bit sleeker and that might be a good thing depending on what direction you'd like to take it. If you want to go with that please feel free to do so.

Another slight crit is that the front feet are flat on the ground, giving it a beetle look. For a spider look put it more on its tip toes.

I can help give quick sketch ideas for other areas if you'd like me to fill in gaps that cant be seen. But only if you want them. That said, Go crazy and have fun with it.

Anyway, will be watching!

• Prime8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    Very good advice, thank you!
    Looks better a bit chunkier.

Right about the feet as well, should be all tip toe. I will rig the legs later, now I just rotated them manually.
    Maybe they should get smaller from back to front, just a bit.

Would be awesome to have more sketches, if you find the time to create some I'm happy to utilise them.

Turret was misplaced, put it in the correct spot now.

• Prime8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    Unfortunately I don't have much time to spend on this project right now, therefore progression is very slow, but I'm determined to finish this.

Here are the current lower legs, high poly parts and low/mid poly parts for the plating with custom normals.
    I don't plan to add more details into the model at this point, I will add a few later in Substance.

• Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    I missed this update. er... Awesome! Love what you've done for the "toe" with the little pad thing. Small detail but it adds so much. It also looks as if it could be used as a hook to climb things. Spiders actually climb using tiny hooks so it has some grounding in spider anatomy.

Very cool man. keep it comeing
  • JHS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JHS polycounter lvl 5
    Very cool, only one thing that bugs me, but comes from the concept itself is, that every legjoint is oriented in the opposite direction. Like in this example the leg would have much more flexibility and range. I´m modelling a similar mech myself and did a rigging test to find good position and length of each part:

Just a clue you can focus on when you create your own design.
  • Prime8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    Stinger88 said:
    I missed this update. er... Awesome! Love what you've done for the "toe" with the little pad thing. Small detail but it adds so much. It also looks as if it could be used as a hook to climb things. Spiders actually climb using tiny hooks so it has some grounding in spider anatomy.

Very cool man. keep it comeing

Thanks!
    might be possible to hook something with them, but they are a bit short.
    I'll give it a try and see how it looks longer, more "hooky".

JHS said:
    Very cool, only one thing that bugs me, but comes from the concept itself is, that every legjoint is oriented in the opposite direction. Like in this example the leg would have much more flexibility and range. I´m modelling a similar mech myself and did a rigging test to find good position and length of each part:

Just a clue you can focus on when you create your own design.
    Thank you, though I don't fully understand what you mean.
    The joins are similar to the ones shown in you roach picture.
    Can you explain a bit more in detail?
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Thanks!
    might be possible to hook something with them, but they are a bit short.
    I'll give it a try and see how it looks longer, more "hooky".
    Not sure you need to make it more "hooky". There's enough there to suggest it already and the hooks on spiders legs are really small. It could be that the tip of the foot might articulate to make it more of a hook as well. Proportions look pretty good as it is imo.

• JHS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JHS polycounter lvl 5
    i tested a little bit and the way the joints are doesn´t make any differnce of the reaching length if you have full motion freedom. Also you will find both ways on insects + a fourth segement like you added with the "hook" now. I guess what looks odd then is that the joint from body to first legsegment doesn´t allow much rotation and therefore looks static.

here is my own rig test from my project:
    https://sketchfab.com/models/4d4d9dc972d747599a4e9541c837c99b

• Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    I get what you're say JHS. However, Just to jump in and comment on the initial design. Its obviously not firmly base on anatomical reference. The articulation is far more limited and movement is slower. This is a mech after all and not a spider. I suppose my design is more influenced by a tarantulas stance in that its holding more weight and the lower part lays flat. Also the design is missing the upper part of the leg so the Patella becomes the main joint. I imagine the design is a slow moving mech with more limited abilities than a spider.

that said. If Prime8 feels like incorporating your suggestion I'd also welcome seeing how it looks with more articulation. As you do have a valid point when it comes to a spiders anatomy.

@JHS : had a look over your other stuff on Sketchfab. Very cool man! You got an artstation I can follow?

Also @Prime8 : I hope I'm not coming across as sounding like some kind of art director here and spamming your thread with feedback and comments. Don't feel like you'll offend me if you ignore any suggestions I have. Take the design is any direction you like.
  • Prime8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    Thank you both, keep the comments and suggestions coming, I asked for it, you are not sounding like an art director, don't worry.

I'll stick with the current leg configuration and not add additional joints.
    I pose them at the moment in a mid position, I will not reach such a minimum reach as in the image with the current joints, though it should be fine. When I finished the upper leg i post a min and max position as well.

@JHS : had a look over your other stuff on Sketchfab. Very cool man! You got an artstation I can follow?

I second that, just realised I know your stuff from the SC Forum, awesome! That railgun... love it.
  • JHS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JHS polycounter lvl 5
    The concept shown in a desert like terrain, supports this leg arrangement. Let´s say it is crucial that the feets have a really big surface so it won´t sink in ;)
    What also comes to my mind is that it would be harder to overcome debris/stones on the ground, because the legs needs to be held up higher then. But it´s just thinking about it, no criticism to change it.
    I´m modelling only for fun as a hobby now, i don´t have any portfolio out there than sketchfab.
  • Prime8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    I had a terrain like the earth moon in mind or Mars.
    I added the small pads to the toes to have it a bit less pointy. Of course they are still way to small to avoid sinking in with such a heavy mech, however I tried bigger pads as well but felt that it took away too much of the concept tip-toeing.
    I'll sacrifice the realism on that part... and probably many others ;)

Good point with the debris and obstacles, thought I think it would be able to lift the legs at least as high as the lowest part of the main body (turret).
    I will check the whole leg movement before finalizing the leg joint geometry. Maybe I do a walk cycle test.
  • Cypherical
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cypherical vertex
    Hi Prime8,

Your work is coming along very nicely, unsure if you have looked into it yet, but the Devil Walker from Destiny may give you some nice reference to look at, especially its movement during combat just to see how the weight of it may have influence on your design, I really like the chunky look to the model and the proportions, Maybe also have a look at the "Quad leg" from Armoured core.

Looking forward to seeing more

-Fabian
  • Prime8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prime8 interpolator
    Hey thank you! Will have a look at them.

Originally I didn't think about rigging or even animating that thing, but I should to it too.
    Don't know much about it, will be another exercise.