Home General Discussion

tablets vs cintiq ( or similar)

Ruz
polycount lvl 666
Online / Send Message
Ruz polycount lvl 666
so yeah finally got around to trying my missus' ugee for sculpting( in zbrush) and i now realize that I don't really like working directly on the screen.
My brain is so attuned to working on a tablet/monitor setup that it just seems alien - also half of the screen is hidden with my flipping hand:)
I wish I could switch between left and right handedness

The worst thing is  it really gives me  eye strain  and I feel too close to the screen, kind of hunched over.
In  terms of brush strokes it's  interesting to try at least ,as I had to change my approach slightly to get the same results. I ended up working in a more sketchy fashion, but maybe I am just not used to it or need to adjust  the pen pressure settings ( not many options tbh)

looking at some other forums re 2d work, a lot of people used them for line work only, but paint with the tablet/monitor

I might try it again tomorrow, but I am a tad disappointed tbh, not with the ugee but the concept itself. I really love my intuos 3, had the same nib for about 2 years now
nice to hear some other opinions

Replies

• AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Don't really care for Cintiqs for basically the same reason as you; I don't like sitting within arms reach of my display and I don't like my arm blocking my view when I work.

I can understand why it would appeal to people with traditional drawing/painting backgrounds but I have pretty much exclusively worked digitally since the day I got my first tablet so I have no real nostalgia or habits from traditional work.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    personally I find it very difficult to go back after working on a cintiq. I can switch between them if I need but it's definitely a preference to have my pen where the art is... my arm covering parts of the screen has been a complete non issue. It's not different from using a pencil on paper, plus I can just... move my hand :D 

the biggest issue I've had, and it's a doozy (thanks posture), is that my arm has been raised high to use the fucking screen. causing pretty big back issues. I try not to slouch forward and I put the screen as low as I'm able now, but for quite a while I was painting/sculpting with my hand at head height. Not good. The other issue is where to put the keyboard to use it. With the Arm it's easier since it floats above, but in the past I'd have to fit it behind the cintiq somewhere, as on the side was far too uncomfortable.

I will still occasionally use my intuos for comfort or just modelling in general. It really is a tradeoff, and I'm glad both options are available. 
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    posture and potential dangers to the eye sight would be my concerns but i have only dabbled with the cintiq at workplaces for short periods. with a tablet there's a much larger distance to the screen, i can lean back into the chair or whatever - and there are no setup issues re: keyboard, screen integration, etc.
    aside from that it would seem fiddly to use complex interfaces that way with palettes and buttons placed all over the screen.
  • DerekLeBrun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DerekLeBrun polycounter lvl 11
    If you mount it to an Ergotron arm you can avoid hunching and position it for your comfort level. The larger 24HD/27HD's with their own built-in articulating stands are good for this too. I've been using Cintiqs for years and haven't experienced any eye strain, but a more custom position/angle might fix this for you.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    Yeah, I was offered a Cintiq at work and promptly declined.  I tried it once for a bit a couple years ago, and I much prefer a tablet/monitor setup.  I guess for some people that disconnect is hard to get used to - having your hand working on a surface other than what you're looking at, but it's far more natural to me than something like a Cintiq.

Mostly same reasons as you other folk, I want to see as much of my work as possible - don't want my hand covering up any of it, better for my eyes to sit farther away from my screen, etc.

I love me some pencil/paper, but for some reason a tablet/monitor setup to me feels more natural and closer to traditional media than something like a Cintiq.  Maybe it's the feeling of the tablet surface.  Maybe it's that it feels notably unnatural to have my face inches away from a screen emitting hundreds of colored lights into my eyeballs.

I think perhaps part of the reason I never liked the Cintiq type deals was that - yes, while there is a disconnect between what your hand is doing and what you're looking at when working with a tablet/monitor, that disconnect is part of what helps isolate the work.  It hides some of the discrepancies that come with working digitally.  With a tablet/monitor, all I'm looking at is the screen and the things that show up there.  I see the size and shape of my brushes, and when I use them - they show up as expected, just as I see them.  When I'm working on a Cintiq, I can see that my pen is touching just a small portion of the screen with the nib, but I might be using a huge brush with all sorts of texture to it, and my brain doesn't like that disconnect in the results compared to what it's expecting.  Maybe the tablet just helps hide some of that, and lets me focus on "I made a mark, and a mark has appeared.  Yay."

I also dig desk space.  And having more money.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    If you mount it to an Ergotron arm you can avoid hunching and position it for your comfort level. The larger 24HD/27HD's with their own built-in articulating stands are good for this too.

if this is directed towards me then the only cintiqs i have ever used were the 24HDs with the big stand. that stand was a major improvement but i still tend to hunch and look down somewhat, giving me 'text neck'. and it's still too close to the face for my taste. the ones with the older stands or the short stubby legs i find properly unusable (without an aftermarket stand/arm).

tbh. i wouldn't want to do a job where i was looking down onto a sheet of paper for extended periods either. i seem to recall these classic disney animators in the old days suffered from all sorts of ailments as well. i find the standard computer posture quite relaxing on the other hand. and it does allow to readjust the eyes frequently for longer distances.
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    If you duplicate the displays you can look at whichever display is better for the particular task you're doing. This can greatly reduce the strain on your neck. For accurate drawing/inking Cintiqs are a lot easier to use, at least for me. I use a 13hd with the stand it came with and set it to the most vertical setting when I'm working on the Cintiq screen and the setting below that when I'm using it more like a regular Intuos.
  • mod
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mod polycounter lvl 11
    I've just switched from a cintiq 22hd to intuos pro large and I absolutely love it! Many people find it weird when I say it but I hated every damn minute working on that thing, over the two years I had it, I have a feeling that my eyesight got a bit worse. I had It mounted on that ergotron arm but It still wasn't really comfortable because theres no way to put the keyboard confortably and you always have to be hunched over the monitor. I tried many different configs, even drilled a couple of holes in my desk to try to mount the ergotron arm in different positions but I just wasn't comfortable for my 3D work. Also doing 3D you constantly have to jump around between different software and it's a pain with a cintiq.  To tell the truth there is less hardcore wacom usage these days than it used to be ( well at least for me I do realistic characters) For example there Is Marvelous Designer now so you do most of the clothes there and just finalize in zbrush so that cuts down on long hours of sculpting clothes by hand and cintiq is not really comfortable for MD work, same goes for textures with substance painter where you get most of the heavy work done by tweaking sliders and just do little bit of painting in the end. 
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    I love my ugee 2150 using it primarily for drawing and 2ndly as a third scree but my whole problem has always been desk optimization, too much distance and its weird to draw on, too close it pushes your keyboard off the desk.

so far my best solution is to just rig up most used hotkeys to the numpad and slide it to the left, it is funny though I have been drawing more then normally the past 2 weeks and thus have been hunched over my tablet, but until you guys mentioned posture I didn't realize the pain in my neck right now might be related lol.
  • ryebot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ryebot polycounter lvl 5
    Man, uh, I guess not using cintiqs is cool now but personally getting one made me a lot more excited about making art and doing work (cue somebody saying that if you need a cintiq to be more motivated to work, then you have a problem (yes, I have many problems)). My eye-sight kind of sucks from a moderate distance and I like to be pretty close to the screen. I have glasses but I'm near-sighted and if I wear them to do computer work it feels weird on my eyes after a while. I too do not know what to do with my keyboard, and programming the little remote that came with it is neat, but sometimes the software gets screwed up and it doesn't work , and I'd rather learn to work in a way that's hardware agnostic – sure I could become a remote master, but I don't think it would make me any faster that I'd be with a keyboard, an input-device that will exist at every place I'll ever end up working.

I definitely hate hunching over it. My work habits are going to turn me into the hunchback of Notre Damme i guess.

Also, don't buy a cintiq. Nobody needs to buy a cintiq. They're over-priced, have unsexy build-quality/materials, and design. Should be leagues better considering what they go for. The largest one is 1440p resolution (that price should get you 4k). I'm just an edge-case that got sprung out of depression by buying one and am still using it, but now that I don't need that kickstart I'm realizing that it creates bad posture and habits. Good thing I still have an intuos medium to fall back on.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    i am starting to think that if you have visitors to your studio, then use a cintiq, but then as soon as they leave the door, go back to the intuous to do some proper work :)
  • SpaceRogue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpaceRogue polycounter lvl 3
    Got the Ugee 1920b, only reason I don't have it installed is because working on it is somehow really painful for my pinky fingers, my neck hates everything, and I often swap between apps. Can't complain tho, I'v had a lot of fun on it and I only return back to tablets because its just for the best. 
  • ahtiandr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ahtiandr polycounter lvl 12
    With ergotron stand cintiq 22 hd is really comfortable. Atleast for me. The main reason  to get it was the ability to make good lines. Before that, I used to draw on paper then scan it and color in photoshop with intous 4. Now I can make same accurate line directly in ps. Also I am making a lot better and cleaner strokes in zbrush now. However, the main reason is  linework and if you are not drawing that much, then I dont think you need a cintiq.
  • Sk0LLiE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sk0LLiE polycounter
    Well, I hate to buck the trend but I love working on Cintiqs or anything where I can lean in and draw directly on a surface. I think this is because before cg / 3d I used to draw a heck of alot as a kid so it just feels very natural for me :/

I always found the tablet on desk option super awkward and doing lines or fine precise work felt really awkward and irritating.

I guess to each his own, just try out the options and go with what makes you feel comfortable / happy.

I have had to mount my cintiqs at work and home in creative ways so I am not hunched over all day. I would also say stretching, exercise, weight training after work to open up your back after hunching over so long is super important. I find I have to do that.

• Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    Cintiqs are more aimed to illustrators, comic artists, designers, etc.

For modelling and sculpting i prefer an intuos pro Large ( i also own an intuos 3 but i want to upgrade to a new intuos pro L, my brother has the past generation of intuos, and compared to mine, is a huge diference, in response and pressure).

I know too many people that own intuos, cintiq and now the new Mobilestudio 13/16. At the end, all is to practise and get customised to the intuos or the cintiq.
  • CrimDa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrimDa vertex
    My personal preference is a Surface Pro, which is more of a Cintique-type device. Personally, I found that having a drawing surface to do art on helped me get more art done but it also helped that I could carry it around...which is the sticking point for Cintiq's in that I still have to be tethered to a computer. (Though I hear they're changing that in new models?) For some reason the idea of having to sit there with a tablet in hand just didn't do it for me. I can do it, but if feels odd now that I've drawn on a Surface.
  • pigart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pigart polycounter lvl 6
    I tried using a companion 2 for a while but I just couldn't do it because the screen was so small. Working with a tablet and a 27inch screen is just so much better. Though I really like drawing straight on the screen. It feels a lot more natural.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    If you can find a Cintiq that is cosmetically damaged but still works, you drop the price insanely, if that helps anyone in this thread.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    I've heard Cintiqs can have some ergonomic issues, and it makes sense. Either you have it high and force yourself to bend your elbow over 90 degrees, combined with a lot of arm movement, risking Cubital Tunnel Syndrome. Or you keep it low, and cause a lot of neck/back strain.
    I know when I used to use a Surface Pro, it would always cause me either neck pain or wrist pain depending on where I placed it.
    Theoretically a big enough Cintiq would circumvent that, since you wouldn't need to lean in so much. But I think most people would be inclined to lean forward regardless to get a closer look. Artists definitely do that a lot in the videos I've seen.
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    bought a cintiq 13hd, i dont like it, because of its stand and the huge ass cable dangling around
    lately bought a odys vario pro 12, which is a atom based convertible with pen. feels way more comfortable,
    for budged (odys is about 250€ and cintiq about 800) 

=> pen enabled convertibles /tablets are way better (atleast when one likes drawing liing on the floor, or on couch)

eye strain stuff is the same on both tho
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    I'm so old that I'm now conditioned to using my equally old but fab Intuos 3 and looking up at the screen to paint. I've used a Cintiq and found it difficult to sketch naturally on. I still prefer to sketch on paper, capture the image (scan or photo) and paint digitally.

Cabling was an issue for me (smallish desk) and I just couldn't adjust the brightness of the Cintiq to a level where it was balanced between straining my eyes and giving accurate colour ref.
  • knacki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    knacki polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks to this thread I overthought my actual config.
    I have an pretty old Cintiq 21UX, which I love.
    But 1600x1200 is not that much space.
    For travelling I have an intuos pro S.
    So I installed this too.
    Now I have both worlds.
    On Cintiq it is much easier for me personally to work very precisely.
    But this is often not necessary, specially in some sculpting processes, like tweaking or blendshapes creation, imho.
    Now I can use one of the 1920x1200 monitor with intuos pro S and as soon as I need more precision, i'll switch to my cintiq.
    The Cintiq stands on my L formed table on the side, as I am not using it on a daily basis.

I used to work on a intuos2 A4, which was too big and always in my way.
    As I said, I am not using it fulltime, more or less than 15% of my work.

Since I got my ipad pro 9,7" with Apple pencil, infinite painter & procreate, I am not using the Desktop that much for sketching anymore.

• o0Ampy0o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    o0Ampy0o null
    I use a 12.7" iPad Pro and Astropad with the Apple Pencil. It talks through Bluetooth but the alternate Thunderbolt/USB cable is wire thin and not the bulky cabling that Cintiqs use. I also have an Intuos Pro connected. I use both along with a track ball and a 2nd iPad Pro (9.7") utilizing an app named Keypad for custom buttons replicating shortcuts that can be triggered much easier with my free hand. I have never been comfortable with the disconnect when drawing lines however I have no problem using a tablet for everything else. I have three displays. Two are dedicated to the software while the other is for references and research on the fly. One mirrors the iPad's drawing area and I am usually looking at all of the displays frequently so it helps ward off body fatigue. This set up works for me. I grew up with traditional tools. The pen tip on the surface of the iPad Pro feels like the plastic on glass-like plastic (a protector) that they are but being able to draw on the artwork makes up for it.
  • Mant1k0re
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mant1k0re polycounter lvl 8
    Are Huions okay alternative to Intuos for semi-casual use? I have a Cintiq 13HD I never use, the cabling is a major pain in the neck and since I only use it for Zbrush environment sculpting and it forces me to flip my main display setting ( southpaw) it's unplugged most of the time (only one HDMI port on my GT 1060).

Huions are dirt cheap and look like they could do the trick but since they never get mentioned I have reservations...
  • Ryusaki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryusaki greentooth
    I can't afford a Cintiq and even if i could i would probably invest the money in other hardware.
  • Asura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asura greentooth
    I have a 13HD which I use religiously. Its a little small at times but I'm also weird and sculpt with my face like 3 inches away from the display. But as stated above its preference for me since i come from a traditional drawing background. 
  • Caiterade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Caiterade polycounter lvl 3
    If you can find a Cintiq that is cosmetically damaged but still works, you drop the price insanely, if that helps anyone in this thread.
    Morbid, but studio closures usually do inventory sales and you can nab them cheap this way. I got mine new but someone suggested to me that i try this first.