Home Career & Education

Work Relocation questions,

Kanoba
polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Kanoba polycounter lvl 5
Hey guys im a 3D artist from New Zealand who would love to relocate to some where like Canada/Europe for my career but i have some questions/issues that i would love some help with so i can get a real dose of how good my chances might be,

1. I have two diplomas (animation and animation advance) but no real work experience simply because the opportunities in NZ are so slim to none, does this make me a very unappealing candidate when it comes to relocating?

2. How much of the relocation will I have to fund my self?

3. Its really easy to feel hopeless and stuck in my position and just want to know how or what to do to move forward so a little advice would mean alot!

My portfolio can be found at https://www.artstation.com/artist/kanoba

Im currently in the process of over hauling as you notice my gun were done quite a while ago, but feel free to give some feed back! 

Replies

• Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    doesn't matter from where you are. What matters is your folio and work experience or degrees. the first is important to get a job offer. The second two are important to make it past the immigration officials. Many companies have certain budgets for relocation, depending on the seniority of the hired person.
  • Swaggletooth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swaggletooth polycounter lvl 5
    I'd suggest looking at building up some indie experience online, which will have the extra bonus of giving you a reference - and certainly will help with making you seem more appealing. That was my starting point, from which I was able to get a short 2 month stint in a small media company for my first job, then thanks to that I was able to get into a games company :)

Since so many artists move to different countries I really wouldn't worry too much about being able to find work abroad once you've got a knock out portfolio. Don't knock NZ too much either, my sister was pushing me to move to Dunedin since there's some studios down there (Rocketwerkz, Runaway); don't limit your searches too much!
  • Simplejay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Simplejay polycounter lvl 2
    Working Remotely is also an option, Currently in Auckland myself, remote working for a Canadian company.  I found it more of an appealing option than moving overseas.