Home Technical Talk

Tablet Recommendations for Zbrush and Photoshop work

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Judgement45 polycounter lvl 6
Hello Polycount family,

I'm looking for some recommendations for either a 2-in-1 tablet laptop or powerful tablet that can handle Zbrush and Photoshop with ease. 

My reasons for getting this portability as opposed to putting the money towards a desktop is because I travel a lot for work and spend a lot of my time in airports and hotels. I'd just like to know if anyone is using anything in particular that they like or have experience with. There's the obvious surface pro 4, but I've read people are having many issues with that just working in general much less handling hardware intensive 3D apps. 

I have a budget of $1,500 - $2,000 but would always like to keep it on the lower cost if possible.

Thank you for any recommendations in advance. 

Replies

• beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    I've been eyeing the Lenovo Miix 720. Not out yet but should be soon. I don't know if the HD Graphics 620 will be any good for intensive 3d apps though.
    https://www.cnet.com/products/lenovo-miix-720/preview/
  • Judgement45
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll take a look at that as well, though the HD 620 Graphics concerns me. I took a look at the Vaio Z Canvas as well, but haven't heard many 3D app users talk about it. 
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    My co-worker bought a Vaio Z Canvas and loves it. It's a really solid machine. The buttons on the pen aren't great but as a whole it was fun to draw/zbrush on. The bluetooth keyboard is great too. Being able to place the machine on a desk like a sheet of paper and having the keyboard next to you is much more comfortable than having to snap it onto the screen. I'm actually surprised it didn't get more attention.

The Miix 720 Active Pen is partnered with Wacom so I am hoping that it's a solid less expensive option to the Wacom Laptop (whatever it's called).
  • Chimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    In terms of travel, I bought a cheap Wacom Bamboo back in like, '06, and it's still working today despite 3 intuos' dying in the mean time (their usb ports are TERRIBLE). Been around the world and on countless commutes. All it's paint has worn off and it still works just fine. I've come to love it.

As for a machine, just get a beefy as fuck laptop + external tablet imo. Ensure graphics are good and have a nice amount of vram (4gb), ensure you've got 16 gig ram, and ensure you've got an i7 of some kind or another. Don't go for absurd screen res, just plug it into a monitor when at a desk, and use the mobile screen when you're actually mobile.

Hell, if its beefy enough you can plug it into a tablet screen at your desk if you really need to, but I'd definitely suggest not getting some sort of hybrid machine that is weaker overall because its got some built in tablet screen.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    That Miix looks nice. Are Lenovo's tablets good build quality? And yeah, a non-Intel-HD gpu would be nice, tbh. Especially when driving fairly high and (IMO) useless resolutions.
  • Chimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    I've had a lenovo, it was built decently. Definitely get an nvidia dedicated gpu though, DEFINITELY. 
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    Chimp said:
    I've had a lenovo, it was built decently. Definitely get an nvidia dedicated gpu though, DEFINITELY. 
    This.  Dedicated GPU, for sure.  Get an GTX-x60+ (Example, when I got my laptop it has SLI GTX 650m's.  If it had the 660m's it was light years faster.  Nowaday's examples would be the 950m VS the 960/980m's or the 1050m vs 1080ms (not up to date on the m chips these day though, so more input on that from others would be cool).  

Also, I love my Lenovo laptop.  Going on 6 years old, the thing still looks new after heavy use and travel (though I made sure it was full metal construction which really helps long term).  Best computer hardware purchase I have made, ever.  
  • Brian123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian123 polycounter lvl 5
    Hello Polycount family,

I'm looking for some recommendations for either a 2-in-1 tablet laptop or powerful tablet that can handle Zbrush and Photoshop with ease. 

My reasons for getting this portability as opposed to putting the money towards a desktop is because I travel a lot for work and spend a lot of my time in airports and hotels. I'd just like to know if anyone is using anything in particular that they like or have experience with. There's the obvious surface pro 4, but I've read people are having many issues with that just working in general much less handling hardware intensive 3D apps. 

I have a budget of $1,500 - $2,000 but would always like to keep it on the lower cost if possible.

Thank you for any recommendations in advance. 
    Keep in mind ZBrush doesn't use the GPU, it's all about the ram and the CPU.  Get 8gigs of memory, minimum, but 16 if you want to run Photoshop and ZBrush at the same time.

As far as the VAIO Z Canvas and Surface Pro, they use the same pen tech, utilizing Windows Ink, which Windows 10 forces floating key modifiers by the pen tip. This causes performance issues and stuttering, even blocking your view in zbrush.

The GPU in the Canvas was perfectly fine during my tests in Modo, but when holding say "alt" key to rotate the viewport,  the word alt appeared by the cursor, everything would stutter. Same would happen in ZBrush.

You use to be able to disable this in Windows 8, but you can't in Windows 10. With Wacom tech, you can go into their control panel and find a disable Windows Ink option, illuminating the issue.

Due to this issue, it didn't matter how good the Surface Pro and Canvas hardware was, that Intrig pen with Windows Ink, which displays modifier floats, ruined performance and responsivnes.

I will say, depending on the software you are using, a dedicated GPU may still be required. For example, Modo's viewport works normally well with an integrated graphics, but their advance open gl mode requires dedicated.
  • Judgement45
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guys, thank you for the info. I'll take a look at the Lenovo's as well. Honestly they didn't even come to mind when I was looking around.  

Brian, thank you for sharing your experience with both. That's definitely making me rethink those tablet options as the stuttering is what I'm trying to avoid. Just ruins the experience for me. Wish this was an easier find :( 
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    my missus just bought a 27" ugee and it has been great so far, no driver issues, great price and comes with 2 pens and 16 nibs.
    I am going to try it out on zbrush later today, but so far we have been very happy with it for 2d work
    screen is a bit shiny but have ordered  matte screen overlay to give it that sketchy feel
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    This is way below your budget, but other people might find it useful. Cube (a chinese company) makes some really nice cheap alternatives to Surface 4 Pro's lower tier models. I have recently bought Cube i7 Book as a portable sketchbook and it handles Photoshop pretty well. You can get Wacoms EMR pens for it and it's a blast to work with. They cost around $400 with keyboard cover.

Haven't tried Zbrush on it, but I believe it should handle some light work. If you want something small, portable for drawing then it's difficult to find a better deal. The build quality is surprisingly good as well for a no-name Chinese manufacturer and they have a solid fanbase online in case you need support. 
  • Burpee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Burpee polycounter lvl 9
    This is way below your budget, but other people might find it useful. Cube (a chinese company) makes some really nice cheap alternatives to Surface 4 Pro's lower tier models. I have recently bought Cube i7 Book as a portable sketchbook and it handles Photoshop pretty well. You can get Wacoms EMR pens for it and it's a blast to work with. They cost around $400 with keyboard cover.

Haven't tried Zbrush on it, but I believe it should handle some light work. If you want something small, portable for drawing then it's difficult to find a better deal. The build quality is surprisingly good as well for a no-name Chinese manufacturer and they have a solid fanbase online in case you need support. 
    Interesting, but I doubt you can do any serious zBrush work with 4g of ram :( 
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    400 bucks, whoa!
  • Millenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Millenia polycount sponsor
    If you want an all in one device, the Wacom Mobilestudio Pro is pretty much the best option. It is on the pricier end, however.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
    Burpee said:
    Interesting, but I doubt you can do any serious zBrush work with 4g of ram :( 
    Yeah, you won't be able to crunch 20 million poly meshes, or anything like that. But when I first started 3D, I did use Zbrush on a PC with 4 gigs of ram and it was definitely workable. I have lent my Cube i7 for a few days, but when I get it back I will check how it handles Zbrush. 

• Judgement45
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just wanted to give everyone an update here many months later! Hope everyone had a great year and happy 2018! 
    I really appreciated all the advice you all shared and I figured I would let everyone know what I ended up getting and the specs included. 

My final pick was the HP Spectre X360: 
    • Windows 10 Home 64 with Windows Ink
    • 7th Generation Intel® Core™ i7 processor
    • 16 GB memory; 512 GB SSD storage
    • NVIDIA® GeForce® 940MX (2 GB GDDR5 dedicated)
    • 15.6" diagonal UHD UWVA eDP touch
    I've downloaded the 4r7 Trial and just started playing with what it could handle. I was able to subd a sphere to 30 million polys without any noticeable lag. On the last subd it did take about 5-10 seconds to complete, but it was very minimal. Playing around with sculpting and painting there's really no issue. I did however notice that pressure sensitivity was not working when I initially started and the preferences in zbrush were grayed out. I found I needed to install the wintab drivers located in this article and it worked like a charm: http://www.traubitz.com/2015/09/09/hp-spectre-x360-zbrush/

I am not an advanced Zbrush user, but I have yet to notice any lag on it by itself. I will be testing it out with UE4, Zbrush, and photoshop all open at once shortly to see if there is anything else effected. 

Thanks again for the support and input! 
  • xinzhong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xinzhong null
    I'm a professional 3D Artist and I teach 3D. In fact when I'm doing hard surface modeling in Zbrush I will often use the mouse because that workflow works just fine with it. But if I'm doing characters/organic modeling than I use a XP-Pen DECO 03 Graphics Tablet . I use the DECO 03 Tabletabout 75% of the time.

You don't even need a fancy Wacom. You can get a standard intro level DECO 03 now for $90.00 and it works great! In fact that's what I recommend my students to do. 

If you find yourself using the DECO 03 Graphics Tablet heavily and really enjoying the workflow of ZBrush than you can always upgrade later to a fancier Artist 16 Pro Pen Display Monitor . They hold their value very well. But I recommend starting with the entry level ones because of the lower cost of entry and dont waste your money .