Home Career & Education

Educated, but Isolated

I recently graduated from Drexel with an MS in Digital Media, and I'm kinda lost.
From what I've seen around this forum, the most important things seem to be networking and portfolio quality.
I've been updating my own Portfolio with the work from my college years, but it really doesn't seem to hold up compared to others. And since my thesis was something nested closely to the school itself, I really don't have any solid networking options beyond the school.

So, realistically, what are my options now? Should I just apply to everything I can and see what sticks, or is there something more I should do to better my chances first?

Replies

• BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Can we see your folio?
  • Kevin_the_Dot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero said:
    Can we see your folio?
    Oh, yeah. I'm new to this forum and assumed it would show in the user profile automatically.
    The portfolio I'm currently using is <a href="http://www.kevinthedot.com" title="Link: http://www.kevinthedot.com">www.kevinthedot.com</a>.

I saw a lot of other portfolios had one or two really high quality pieces, but I really only have a lot of average to good quality works from my various school projects, so I'm not sure if I should or shouldn't have all of them on it.
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Not really clear from your portfolio what you actually want to do in the game industry... What is it you want to make? Environment art? Charters? Animation? Tech art?
  • Sunray
  • Kevin_the_Dot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I shouldn't try to put myself out there as a 3D Generalist then and should instead make it more about a specific aspect?
    Or should I make multiple portfolios for specific aspects that I link based on the job I'm applying for? Like, I basically could and want to do any available job on a 3D Art team, so how can I cover all the bases without seeming too scattered/unfocused?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    It's going to hurt, but make sure you apply for specific positions and tailor yourself to said positions.  From my personal experience as an early professional, better to be stretched into a generalist on the job than to come in as one, mostly as an employmen approach.

Regarding networking, really consider attending GDC  in San Francisco next year.  It's one of the largest groups of mostly game development professionals that meet to share knowledge, meet new and old friends, and have a generally decent time.

If attending GDC is expensive, look into applying for the GDC Conference Associate program.  Volunteer 25 hours of your time for GDC All Access among other priviliges and blessings.  And be part of a very intensive networking situation.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    @Kevin_the_Dot
    Everything else aside, I can barely figure out where your art is thanks to the 3 different headers + a demo reel before I can see your work. Condense; you only need one small header, unless you decide on animation you don't need a demo reel for now. The intro is too long, fwiw. Also maybe let a more professional service handle your web design...? I hate to be a little harsh but your handle on aesthetics is very... mid-90's web design. This shows in a lot of the title cards for your reel and UI work in your reels too, and I think it hurts more than it helps. Focus a little less on being flashy and more to-the-point.

Additionally. You don't need to show everything. Only show your best work, it doesn't show you can do other aspects or grow or whatever, it just weighs down the good parts of your work.

I agree with everyone else when they say slow up and specialize. Figure out what you enjoy then hone your craft.
    I hope this can add to what everyone else is saying. Cheers.