Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Pumpkin character

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Clinsparks polycounter lvl 11
Hi everyone ! 

I want to share some character modeling I'm working on, I never post my work, so I thought it would be a good day to start :)
It's based on Servando Lupini's concept (https://www.artstation.com/artist/vando)

The concept

Here is the blocking 

Here is the sculpt

And the low poly model I prepared 

The head sculpting still needs some work, I barely touched it, after that I will begin the baking process.

Of course, C&C is welcome :D

Replies

• N4meless
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    N4meless greentooth
    Wow cool characters, love the sculpt on the body, maybe change the size of the detail on the hand, give it a more stylized look.

• PeteJViney
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeteJViney null
    I think you've really accurately captured the feel of the character and you've replicated the pose and form incredibly well! If there is one thing I would suggest editing, it would be to angle the right eyebrow (as you are looking at him) to be a little more cross and stern.. Keep up the good work! This is great
  • AgreeingMachine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AgreeingMachine polycounter lvl 3
    I really admire the wooden texture you've put into the hands, and stem of the pumpkin-head. Was the blocking and low-poly pass done in Maya?

It's begging to be hand painted!
  • Clinsparks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the feedback :)

@N4meless
    I did some changes on the details scale on the arms and legs, they are easier to see now at a correct distance.

@PeteJViney
    I did a little fixing pass on the right eyebrow, it works better now, and it will be more visible at render time as I will use a low camera angle.

@AgreeingMachine
    It was a bit of a tough process for me, hard to get details to show at a correct distance from the camera, I mainly used the Orb Slash brushes. The details you see in the sculpt picture are from a previous version, now I scaled up the details, they were not visible enough before.
    The blocking was done in 3ds max. Unfortunately I'm don't think I will do handpainting for this one as I'm not really at ease with full painted textures.

Here is the actual state of the character in Marmoset with a bit of lighting and all baking done, i'm starting the texturing now :smile:

• Clinsparks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi !

I'm back with my pumpkin man, this time completely finished :)
    I struggled a bit with the texturing and the final composition, but I'm pretty happy with the actual result.

C&C is still more than welcome :)

Here's the final render in Marmoset :

The wireframe

The final sculpt

• lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Wow, nice work!
    my only crit would be that he is leaning just a bit to much to feel balanced (even in the concept tbh).
  • Clinsparks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @lotet
    Thank you very much !
    You're right for the leaning, it's been an issue since the begining, it was hard to keep the same pose and having a balanced character.
    I think it comes from the head, that is not really centered on the body, where the neck should be and the body is slightly leaning too.
    Some fixing incoming :p

• theStoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theStoff greentooth
    I really like this guy. Super fun! I do feel the concept looks a bit unbalanced too though so I wouldn't worry about sticking to the pose too perfectly. I feel pulling the feet back might help balance the character. Just so that they look like they're holding up the head.
  • Clinsparks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks ! The original concept is really cool, fun and challenging :)
    I did a bit of fixing on the pose by following both your advices.

• Darkmaster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Darkmaster polycounter lvl 11
    I love everything about this.
  • Khimarra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Khimarra polycounter lvl 7
    Eee! He's so grumpy!!! Awesome concept choice, and I love your texture work!
  • Vozz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vozz triangle
    Awesome work, incredible presentation. 
  • pOgOstyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pOgOstyle polycounter lvl 8
    Rly cool one. 
    I have problems to recognize the cane on the final render cause the bg root have a similar darkness value.
  • jose.fuentes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jose.fuentes interpolator
    great work!   I also agree that the cane is a little lost in the final render
  • Randell Trulson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Randell Trulson polycounter lvl 4
    This is freak'n awesome.  I am curious how you got from the rendered version to the final one that looks....almost hand painted....stylized
  • Asura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asura greentooth
    I am absolutely in love with the shapes going on with this character! I agree with the comment about the cane being a little too pushed back in the scene. Maybe adding a lighter material to it will help. 
  • Clinsparks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks everyone for you replies !

@Randell Trulson
    I think the original concept's lighting helped me a lot to create my final image. I also did lot of tests in marmoset during the texturing phase, each time submitting my wips to friends to receive their feedback, so each time I upgraded my textures, I did some adjusements too in my rendering scene. I hope it helped :)

@pOgOstyle @jose.fuentes @Asura
    I did a little fix with a light that cuts the cane and the right hand

• lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Looking better! great work.
  • DMacDraws
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DMacDraws polycounter lvl 7
    Hi matey, amazing scultping! If you don't mind me suggesting I'd say you could add contrast to the eyes and motuh. For me it took a minute to register his pupils and moutshape, which is a shame because you've done the work to make a great expression but the forms are muted a but by the texture/light. 

I saw in the original concept he used a slightly darker orange on the pupil and set it against the uplight on the sockets. You could do a similar thing. I think with the mouth you could apply more ao shadowing by hand particularly along the crease of the lips and perhaps darken the orange around them in a gradient?