Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Big Bore Revolving Lever Action Shotgun

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Molokotof polycounter lvl 5
High resolution on Artstation
Latest update:

Hi fellow polypushers.

I've been working on this gun during my spare time for the last couple of weeks.
I'm inventing it from my imagination as I go along, so I'd love some feedback on the design.

I'm planning to make it game ready after I've had some feedback and put it into UE4 with some nice textures.

Here's what it looks like atm.

Replies

• Dethling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dethling polycounter lvl 11
    Looks really nice. Like a future version of the "Elephant Rifle".
    Would like to see it from some different angels.
  • CommonOne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CommonOne polycounter lvl 6
    Yeah, looks cool! Another vote for more angles. :)
  • Daf57
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daf57 polycounter lvl 9
    Sweet! Let's see some more of that bad boy! ;)
  • Molokotof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, thanks for the awesome comments, makes me happy you like it.
    Here's a shot from the rear:

I will upload some more shots with some changes later today.
    I'm trying to find a quicker way of rendering these Wip shots, as of now it's:
    - scanline with lights setup,
    - mental ray for AO
    - mental ray with white material override for mask
    - compositing in photoshop

So if any of you have tips for nice (QUICK) high poly wip shots in max.
    Those would be very welcome ^.^
  • Molokotof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So here's some more shots. (The first one was done with scanline, but I'l be doing the WIP's in mental ray from now on, as it's 20x faster)

Tell me what you think about the hinge for the revolver cylinder and the muzzlebreak/flashhider.

Scanline:

Mental Ray:

• Molokotof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Changed the muzzlebrake and added some detail to the swing arm of the revolver cylinder.

• Molokotof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shortened the muzzle brake and added some detail to the top cover/heatshield:

• Molokotof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Added some more detail, changed some stuff. And even MORE angles.

• Molokotof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Changed the front sight and added sling mount to the front and back of the gun.

• RogerP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RogerP polycounter
    Clean model, really like the design.
  • Molokotof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks Roger! :smile:
    Here's some more shots.

• Molokotof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Got some feedback and a really nice render setup from the awesome Matthias Develtere.
    So here's another shot of the high poly, tell me what you think!

• Daf57
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daf57 polycounter lvl 9
    Super slick! Really nice! :)

• tda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tda polycounter lvl 16
    Dude this is siiiick! I love the idea and the execution looks really solid. Only thing i can really add is that if you're planning to lowpoly some of the smaller pieces on the top of the gun have very tight edges, might want to be careful there. Other than that, dude, awesome! Definitely following and watching! :)
  • Molokotof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks guys :smiley:

tda said:
    Dude this is siiiick! I love the idea and the execution looks really solid. Only thing i can really add is that if you're planning to lowpoly some of the smaller pieces on the top of the gun have very tight edges, might want to be careful there. Other than that, dude, awesome! Definitely following and watching! :)
    Yeah now that you mention it some of the pieces need some softening up, perhaps even some bevels.
    That's one of the things i need to watch out for generaly, not making it too sharp & "edgy"  :p
  • Molokotof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey man, thanks for the feedback. The original place the lever pivoted at was somewhere else, but after reading your comment I tried moving it. It actually looks better with the pivot at the bolt! :smiley:

Anyway so I took your feedback into consideration and added the proposed groove. The edge rear of the buttstock was also smoothed out.

Also tda, I smoothed out some of the edges you where talking about.

So here's some shots to show of the changes. I will put these + some more up on Artstation later this evening.
    (in glorious 4K ofcourse

• Molokotof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Final full resolution shots of the high poly are up on artstation!

Will be doing the low poly + texturing soon, but have some other deadlines to attend to first.

• DevMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DevMatt polycounter lvl 7
  • Molokotof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DevMatt said:
    Nicely done :)

Hey thanks Matthias, your feedback was very helpful ;)
  • Molokotof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok guys, sorry for the several months without updates.

Worked on the low poly for this now and again, but the project was generally on back-log due to school work.

Now that the exams are finished I have had some time to get the low poly + bakes at a presentable stage.
    I still have some issues with some places not smoothing correctly, but I plan to iron them out ASAP.

The plan is to get this into substance and finalise it over the next couple of weeks (first steps into substance, have been a quixel guy up untill now).

As always any feedback is appreciated!

Technical Details:

27.152 Tris
    20.738 Verts
    4k Normal 

Screenshots in UE4:

• Molokotof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks man! Yeah I'm looking forward to trying substance!

Meanwhile here's a close-up shot of one of the springs.
    I made a parallax occlusion material with some basic silhouette clipping, so they kind-of look 3D (they're actually just 1/3 of a cylinder).

• Molokotof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have been getting to grips with substance painter while adding normal details and cleaned up my bakes here and there.

Here's a sneak-peak at some engraving goodness:

• Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 11
  • Molokotof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks man!

I continued on some more engraving, really enjoying substance designer!

• xSNak3rs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xSNak3rs polycounter lvl 4
    Good job. How you added those engravings ?
  • Molokotof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks man!

The engraving where done with the stencil mask function substance painter has.
    I made some drawings and grabbed some patterns online, then I inverted them in photoshop to get usable alpha's for substance painter.

Then i just used multiple height layers with the patterns painted in, and masked them over each other to create the layering effect.

I also worked on a wood texture, here's some shots in UE4.

• Molokotof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Had some time to work on the textures over the last couple of weeks. Here's what it looks like now.
    Close to finishing this up, but some last c&c would be nice.

• Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Really nice modelling\design! :)
  • The Rizzler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Rizzler polycounter lvl 9
    Nice work, the engraving is exquisite. I like the style of wood you went for (though the lines might be a bit dominant on the back of the grip?) I feel like the lighting might be throwing out my impression of the textures though, since the metal looks very purple. Would appreciate seeing this in a more neutral lighting condition
  • Molokotof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow thanks guys!

@The Rizzler I assume you mean this area of the grip? Or am I mistaken?

I will adjust the wood a bit, make the normal information less dominant in some areas.
    Also I'll upload some shots in neutral lighting conditions later, but the primary steel I am using has a bluish tint to it, as i wanted to replicate blued steel which is often used on firearms. Might have to reduce the saturation a bit.
  • The Rizzler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Rizzler polycounter lvl 9
    Ah sorry I meant this part;

Don't really need to worry, as in a shooter the character's hand would probably be covering it anyway, but as you say the grain might be a bit strong. Blued steel sounds good, it's just hard to tell exactly how blued it is at this point haha. Looking forward to updates 
  • Molokotof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah I see, thanks for the paintover and feedback, will adjust it!
    And yeah, imho it's not too blue, but then again I've been staring at this thing for a while now...
  • Molokotof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So yeah after 4(!) tedious windows reinstalls, I got my laptop up and running again with all the newest drivers and updates. Thus the delay.

Anyway, continued texturing, (made the engravings a bit more readable by darkening the recesses, made the metal slightly less blue and added damage and rust to some of the metal).

The springs you can see are still white as they will be on a different texture sheet for animation via UV offset.

And the wood grain still need some toning down, but this involves re-exporting and importing the added normal details in substance.
    (Substance only takes normal info of the base maps into account for its filters/generators).

Anyway, here's some more neutrally lit shots:

• Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    Does this thing shoot cannonballs?!? I've never seen such a big cylinder.

Jokes aside this looks pretty dope. I think you might want to consider removing the striations and color variation in the wood from the normal altogether. In reality those features have little-to-no depth and the entire thing would be varnished anyway.

Notice how the clear coating on top of the wood does not have any perturbations along the striation lines of the wood itself
  • Molokotof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha yeah something the size of a mortar shell :smiley:

And yeah I was originally going for a worn wooden stock, and I think I ended up taking a bit to much creative liberty with it...
    And the crude wood / pristine engravings mix does indeed look a bit odd on second thought.

Thanks for the feedback, I'll give the clear coat wood a shot tomorrow!
    And going to give your proboolean-dynamesh workflow a shot on my next prop!
  • Molokotof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Changed the wood to have a cleaner more varnished look (didn't go to glossy though), gave the springs a texture and add some slight scratches to the main gunmetal.

Hope you enjoy!