Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Female Gladiator

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Piffles polycounter lvl 5
Been a part of the FB Character Design Challenge group and a specific character design caught my eyes a couple months back and I decided to model the character. I welcome any and all critiques!

Current Progress:

Concept:

Gladiator by Meri (Melanie Holscher)

Replies

• Piffles
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is a close up on the face.

*still haven't worked on the hair besides blocking it out
  • Tectonic
    Offline / Send Message
    Tectonic polycounter lvl 10
    I think you've pulled in the waist a bit too far, her shoulders are a little to broad, and her head might need to be scaled up by like 10%
  • Maxilator
    Offline / Send Message
    Maxilator polycounter lvl 8
    Nice! Here are my crits:
    1. the hair shave is too far too the middle of the head, Compare where it starts in horizontal relation to the eyes and you'll see what i mean. 
    2. The Curve of the thigh is a bit off, the concept has a very smooth arch and your model is more triangular with a point at the middle of the thigh.
    3. More personal but I dont like the super sharp jawline on her and the way her head relates to her neck makes the profile of her face very front heavy.
  • Piffles
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you both @Tectonic and @Maxilator !

Some adjustments based on suggestions here and elsewhere including; Adjusting where the hair sits on the head, increasing the head size just a smidgen, pronouncing the eyelashes a bit more, softening the jaw line, and adjusting the hips and thighs.

Her cheeks are pretty flat. Will fudge with that a bit.
  • Piffles
    Offline / Send Message
    Some progress i've made. I'm still thinking in the back of my head (and putting off) how to do the scales for the bra and hip-shield. Maybe I'll just have a subtool duplicated over and over like i've done with the studs.

Currently working on the shoes but i've finished up (sans tiny details such as dinks, scratches, folds) the shoulder armor, knee braces, the glove and underwear. Also having a hard time envisioning the belts/straps across her hips and around her chest in the original concept. 

Any feedback is welcome!
  • Piffles
    Offline / Send Message
    Hit a big milestone! Most everything is modeled. On my todo list before I head off to texturing is to double check proportions line up with concept, add hair strands, and adjust boot furs. And probably some scene clean up  :#

• Leon_Raven
    Offline / Send Message
    Leon_Raven polycounter lvl 9
    This is coming along quite nice. Based on how much you want to remain faithful to the concept I would say the glove in the concept seemed like it was thicker and stronger. 

Be careful about the shapes of the knees, the ratio between them and the tight in the concept seems to be slightly different (with the knees shrinking more - in the concept the knee is almost half the thickness of where the leg attaches with the torso). I think resizing this will give her lower part a more interesting flow. I hope that makes sense.

Overall I am loving where this is going! 
  • Piffles
    Offline / Send Message
    @Leon_Raven - Thank you for the suggestion on the knees! As soon as I reduced them in size, the legs started to feel truer to the concept.

Updates to the model:
    - continued to refine the face. starting to feel like im grasping the likeness of the concept more.
    - Thickened the glove. From the angles posted it doesnt look very thick but I think I got it down pretty well.
    - Reduced the knee size. Helped a lot in my opinion.
    - Adjusted the feet/shoes quite a bit. They were looking to flat.
    To Do:
    - hair bits
    - scratches and dings on the various spikes and rivets.

• Piffles
    Offline / Send Message
    Long time no post! Work was quite busy. In the mean time I've polypainted and finished up the rough posing of the character. I'm hoping to get any critiques on facial likeness to the concept and readability. 

• Piffles
    Offline / Send Message

Well I'm going to call this project done. Been workin' on her for so long, I feel it's time to move on!

Finished posing her today and painted some touch ups. I'll give her a proper rendering later.

Thank you all for your help throughout the process! Onto the next adventure...

• Piffles
    Offline / Send Message
    Decided to turn the Gladiator into a semi-realistic game model and push my substance painter skills. Still need to work on the boots and add some things to help break up the patterns more. 

Would love any suggestions or critiques!

• Piffles
    Offline / Send Message
    More updates~ 
  • Piffles
    Offline / Send Message
    Worked on her weapons! Just a few more tweaks and I'll be posing and rendering her in UE4.

• Piffles
    Offline / Send Message
    Back from the holidays and onto posing this character. Still quite a bit of adjustments to go. Will be throwing this into UE4 and rendering some beauty shots in there.

• Piffles
    Offline / Send Message

Calling this one done! Learned a lot in Substance painter and just the overall process. Excited to move back into the Anubis character and apply what I've learned to it. See the artstation link for more screens~ https://www.artstation.com/artwork/ZnaXw