polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Azure_Dragon polycounter lvl 6
Any feedback would be great :smile:

Replies

• Azure_Dragon
    Offline / Send Message
    I am in the process of making a cartoony character, who will be animated. The character is a School Teacher.
    I have Made a few tweaks to the face from my first post,  

Made nose thinner and reshaped the bridge of the nose, so glasses can fit on  them proportionally.  
    I also closed of the eyes slightly reshaped the top lip

Things to do
    Redo the Suit
    Model some glasses 
    Need to add hair
    Retop Low poly with animation Loops
    project and add skin detail
    Redo Skin Texture 

Any Feedback is more then welcomed

• Azure_Dragon
    Offline / Send Message

Dropped the other Face sculpt above and started on my new character.

Any feedback would be great 
  • Azure_Dragon
    Offline / Send Message
    After Learning more and more about anatomy from the Secound Face, I went back to the first scupt and made adjustments. Results below. Any feedback would be great.

I didn't really like the wrinkles, so as a design choice i made him younger.  
  • Azure_Dragon
    Offline / Send Message
    Quick body Layout before work. Wen i get back ill make more adjustments.

Certain things such as the hands are too small and the legs height needs to be adjusted.   
  • Azure_Dragon
    Offline / Send Message
    Another Face sculpt for today, tried to change up the style to a younger chubbier boy.
    I am still making changes to the body of the previous sculpt. When i am slightly more happier then ill post up updates.
    This has taken me a few hours. All textures are hand painted. I will be adjusting them further as time progresses in this project. 
  • Azure_Dragon
    Offline / Send Message
    New face sculpt for today, 
    still working on the body. no update just yet. 
  • emerald-shine
    Offline / Send Message
    emerald-shine polycounter lvl 4
    you need to work on the eyes, the corner where the upper and lower eyelid meet  has a weird split. Is only noticeable in the 3/4 shot. I would also stylise his body a bit more. Nothing too drastic, but it just looks odd to have this cartoony head on a farly realistc body.
    Also on an unrealated note, Please change your profile pic, the low res and Jaggies really hurt me :)

• Azure_Dragon
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the feedback, lol i will remove the image and add it again at a later date.

I have smoothed the lumps around the eyes, i will work on the eyes a bit more, currently just added the hair. I will add a picture of the 3 views, as off right now i have work in the morning.

I do understand ill see what i can cook up with stylising the body shapes abit more. 

• Azure_Dragon
    Offline / Send Message
    This is the body current shape. my next few images will be trying to change up the style. The clothing is not finalised just place holders for whats to come :smiley:
  • X-One
    Offline / Send Message
    X-One polycounter lvl 18
    Do you have any reference for any of the work you're doing? If you don't, I suggest that you find some solid reference to work from. At this point, I don't think you're achieving the look you're going for, but because I don't really know what look you're trying to achieve, it is hard for me, or anyone else to give you solid feedback. I mean, I could just say that a lot of the anatomy is wrong, but some of it could be acceptable if that's the look you're going for. That said, even if you're going for stylized, you really have to work on the orbital area on all of your faces. The eyes are making your work look really rough. I would forget about bodies, full heads, and textures for the moment. Spend a couple days just looking at eyes. Spend a couple more days just sculpting eyes. I think it will improve the overall quality of your work significantly.
  • Azure_Dragon
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the feedback. I will be posting up references. so you guys can give proper feedback.  I Will consider everything been said. I haven't had much free time up until now. So in the next few days i will be working on just eyes and proportions off the face. 

Hope the sculpt shown below is a step into the right direction. I have used references for this sculpt. but to be honest very little.

I will now use more references and build a solid library of images to work off for the sculpts to come :)

• Azure_Dragon
    Offline / Send Message
    Penelope Cruz i am using as reference. I have started with measurements of the face.

• Azure_Dragon
    Offline / Send Message

Final Progress for today: i will work more on the eyes tomorrow as i have gathered some really good anatomy reference for the eyes. 
  • Azure_Dragon
    Offline / Send Message
    Eyes and orbital area
  • Azure_Dragon
    Offline / Send Message
    Based of Jin Kazama but a female version. I did this acouple of years ago. Everything iv learnt so far about the face i redone the face structure.

This what she looked like before
  • Azure_Dragon
    Offline / Send Message
    Penelope Cruz: Here is the progress so far. Been working on the eyes. Any comments
    also made adjustments to the rest of the face.
    Finding it difficult to get the likeness.  

• Azure_Dragon
    Offline / Send Message
    Face 4: Improvements. Eyes still need more work 
  • Azure_Dragon
    Offline / Send Message
    Any feedback would be great
  • Azure_Dragon
    Offline / Send Message
    Still experimenting with the hair and colours. Any feedback would be great.
  • Azure_Dragon
    Offline / Send Message
    With out the hair and made a few tweaks
  • Nuclear Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Nuclear Angel polycounter
    It is great that you are sticking to this and that you keep pushing through more work. Id say that you should work on the basics, ignore polishing details and polypainting and such. Id say that the face 4 is the best presented one, as that one is showing the most of your sculpt. So post some polypaint free pictures and it will be easier to give you feedback on the quality of your sculpt. 

From what I can see I think you should work on proportions and the anatomy of the skull. I linked an image of skulls below, your skull shapes are very unrealistic, and they are also missing some major landmarks and the ones you have are in the wrong places. Like the temporalis line, eyebrows, forehead, nostril bridge and zygmaticus are all wrong or completely missing. And because your skull knowledge is not there your eyes and mouths are wrong and weirdly placed because of it. So if you nail the skull a lot of facial features will fall in place naturally for you. Even stylized characters have proper proportions and anatomy. So start with the skull. 

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/ef/f7/79/eff779ea48e1d9cb54a41e9a71f187b2.gif

When you have gotten that down you can move on to do the planes of the head, and from there go to details. Like eyes, mouths, ears and all the fun stuff of the face. 

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-R_IpVDbs19I/VhUayfL6YFI/AAAAAAAABiI/uyfrwr73B9M/s1600/john+asaro+head+montage+sm.jpg

And this applies to all of the body, start with the basics, and for goodness sake, use references. Always, and not references that aren't real, look at real people and real references. And then stylize it when you know what you are doing. 

Sorry if this was harsh, but it is super of you for sticking through and doing this. So keep it up and you will get there eventually. Good luck. 
  • Azure_Dragon
    Offline / Send Message

Thank you for your feedback. No its okay, i am here to learn (regardless of how harsh). You have gone out your way to critique my work with honesty, i respect that. I am here to improve so please continue to critique.    

I have started from the beginning again and will full on learn anatomy. Above is the start of the skull sculpt without the jaw and teeth. I want to take this step by step so i can learn properly. I have broken down the bones above. 

Any critique is welcomed and thank you. 

references i am using

• Azure_Dragon
  • Azure_Dragon
    Offline / Send Message
    Any feedback back would be great
  • Azure_Dragon
    Offline / Send Message
    Face based on the skull. Some tweeks have been made to the skull such as the jaw line, Nasile bone  and zygomaticum bone.
  • Maxilator
    Offline / Send Message
    Maxilator polycounter lvl 8
    You should try the transparency slider in zbrush, it'd a good way to instantly see where the proportions are wrong, Just pop an anatomy picture under your zbrush window and you have a fast and easy reference. Don't start relying to heavily on it though.
  • Azure_Dragon
    Offline / Send Message
    Final Progress for today for the base head. I hope the proportions are better. Thank you for that tip and feedback.  Tomorrow i will find a person for likeness. Judging from the previous post it seems a step into the right direction. 
  • Azure_Dragon
    Offline / Send Message
    couldn't sleep so i thought i just sculpt some more, pose and colour her, results above. 
  • JLeeD
    Offline / Send Message
    JLeeD polycounter lvl 3
    Hey Azure! You're definitely making improvements, but you're just not quite nailing the forms and shapes of the head quite yet.
    So, the main crit I have right now is that you're really not understanding the skull that well, and it especially shows in the eye sockets. I drew this with my mouse but its just to explain what I mean, 

You need to bring the corner of the eye socket back quite a bit, it feels like you're only looking at things from the front and side, not from the three quarter angle, but I suspect it may be that you're failing to 'draw on the right side of the brain'. This refers to a book by Betty Edwards which basically states that our knowledge of the world fights with what we're actually perceiving, and we draw (or in this case sculpt) what we think should be there rather than what we are observing. In this case, you've studied the skull, but you're still not properly observing your references. There is an artist called Andrew Loomis and looking at his stuff might really help you understand the head, and how to stylise it. His stuff is archived online https://archive.org/details/andrew-loomis-fun-with-a-pencil, its particularly fun with a pencil which I was thinking of, though all of his books are really helpful and you should look through and see which one might best help you. He breaks the skull down into simple forms and teaches a system to make it easier to draw (or sculpt) from any angle.

Sorry that its see through, they're the best I could find on google images. And sorry to be basically throwing a library in your face, but with all the stuff available online sometimes it can be the good old books that help the most! 
    Along with the books, I would try to achieve a likeness and stick to it until you've nailed it. Though you are aiming to create a stylised face, learning how to realistically achieve it is not only better to give feedback and direction on, but you know how to do it properly. Get a screenshot of your sculpt and the person you're trying to recreate and overlay them over each other in photoshop, or you can use the zbrush spotlight feature to do this. Once you're comparing them from the same angle, any misobservations you've done will really stand out. When you're doing your likeness, I would check out Hossien Diba and see if there's any tutorials of his online, I know he has a walkthrough of a George Clooney likeness which he did. Though you might not find it as fun as a stylised face, once you've done a realistic one going back to stylised will have informed you an incredible amount. Also push the likeness as far as you can get it, try to achieve the same result as Diba. 
    And I must apologise once again for the incredibly long post, but I really hope some of this helps! Keep it up and you will get there! 
  • Nuclear Angel
    Offline / Send Message
    Nuclear Angel polycounter
    JLeeD gave you some really solid advice. I would say that you should not do a likeness though, Id say go for making the most generic standard face you can and to it well. And do it with a proper skull. As looking at a reference and not understanding it will not help you, because if you follow a reference and only copy it, you will not understand the underlying structure. So stay away from likenesses as they are very hard to do right and I do not think they are good for learning anatomy. 

Also it is great that you are improving already, props to you on that, and awesome that you take the feedback to heart, that will help you grow super fast! ^^ 

But regarding your skull, you are far from done with it. It still have a structural problems, not even going in to the missing details. I did a paintover in my lunch break to illustrate. It is done in 5 minutes, so it is not perfect, but it shows how far off from a proper structure you are. And that is shown in your lastes head, nail the skull  mate. 

Overall the proportions are still wrong, and the skull is missing a lot of the shapes that make it correct. Try to focus on the shapes before going in to the details. The skulle is missing some landmarks and major definitions, for example the temporalis line, which I did a paintover of. and also the eyebrows are almost non existent. So use more references, and compare them with your skull. And I would recommend lowering the field of view on your perspective, and try turning it on and off while working, as that will help you see things more clearly. 

Good luck, and sorry for the wall of text. 
  • Azure_Dragon
    Offline / Send Message
    thank you guys for the great feedback. i spent a day just looking at the angles of the skull. Different skulls have variations  and i think this is my issue. I need to look at different references but ultimately create it according to the main reference i have chosen to sculpt.  Slowly i am getting to understand the skull. Above i have made changes, and i understand judging from my references on why those changes needed to be made.  

I will be going deeper into the proportions in my next and compare them to these adjustments and compare and contrast on whats wrong with it.  

Guys really to appreciate the feedback, keep them coming its the only way ill learn.  :smile:

• Azure_Dragon
  • Azure_Dragon
    Offline / Send Message
    Final Detailed Skull. Any Critique Would be great. So i can move onto Learning the Muscle Structures.  
  • Azure_Dragon
    Offline / Send Message
    i have been very busy sorry about not having frequent post. 

I have managed to spend a few hours on creating a base head for fun. Just so i got some sculpting done today. Below is the result. Clearly i need to spend alot more time on the orbital area and get that right. Any feedback would be great :)

• Azure_Dragon
    Offline / Send Message
    Still building on the forms. If I have more time today I will post some more work 

• Azure_Dragon
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally got around to fixing this face according to the feedback from JLeeD . below is the result

• Azure_Dragon
  • AgreeingMachine
    Offline / Send Message
    AgreeingMachine polycounter lvl 3
    Were the eyebrows and lashes painted on this latest piece? It may have been a misstep, and I can't help but think the region of the eye sockets could be placed lower on the head. Your polypainting is always quite nice, but I think if sculpting is what you're trying to master in the moment, maybe leave these pieces unpainted, like @Nuclear Angel suggested. Your readiness to step back and really build on your anatomical knowledge is inspiring, keep up the good work!