Home Career & Education

How often do you model?

vertex
Offline / Send Message
Ouru vertex
Long time since my last time here, I went to game jams and enjoyed being in develop groups, but I kinda let go modeling (cause I burned out all my energy on modeling everyday from scratch).

I wanted to ask you guys, how often do you model? Do you follow any rules? (for example: I model EVERY day at least 3 hours)

I admire you all, and I want to learn how to grow as much as you guys.
I'm afraid of leaving the poly way of life once again, I really want to make my life out of this.
Thanks for reading

Replies

• Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    what do you mean? personal work? professional work?
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Every day, at least 14-18 hours a day.
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    The more you learn the easier the path gets.

its a hard question because everyone works different amounts at different stages in their career. students have loads of time to spend on projects and practice and professionals work the hours they need to. outside of that anything goes. 

don't think of it as a time sink. break down what you want to learn and focus on how you learn it and who with.
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    I can't give exact timings but for sure More then is healthy.

But I will have break days, but I usually feel like shit if im not doing something like a 2D drawing or just something productive, I often consider a break from my main model or larger project working on some alternative or smaller project, breaks up the tedium.
  • Asura
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asura greentooth
    Currently I usually try to get a good 4-7 hours a night after my day job. 8pm - 3am is usually the schedule.

There was a time where modeling was hard to keep up with but after some soul searching I found that it was all about my mindset. After that modeling became almost like a core part of my day. on weekends I crank out about 8-12 hours. 
  • Tectonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tectonic polycounter lvl 10
    7-8 hours on average
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    from 9 - 5 when I still worked as a modeler. Maybe 2 - 4 hours on the weekend. I found it difficult to model even more when modeling is all you do for a whole work week.
  • huffer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer interpolator
    I think you shouldn't ignore the rest of the pipeline, a game artist should know efficient UV's, baking, texturing. Why not work on a game asset for 3 hours every day instead? You'll be better off.
  • Ouru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ouru vertex
    Thank you all for your answers

huffer
    said:
    I think you shouldn't ignore the rest of the pipeline, a game artist should know efficient UV's, baking, texturing. Why not work on a game asset for 3 hours every day instead? You'll be better off.
    You're right, I expressed myself wrong. My bad, I don't know I usually say modeling for the whole pipeline.

Neox said:
    Both, how much is "enough" for daily production (expressed in hours). I know its relative to each person, but to make myself a general idea, cause I'm not spending enough time on it (i think)
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Wow.. You guys are.... machines :O 
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Spoon said:
    Wow.. You guys are.... machines :O 
    Once you enjoy doing something,  it becomes a physical part of you.

I love modeling. I want to create as much detail possible. Even 18 hours a day still feels extremely short to me, because when you stop, you feel like you were only 2/3rd's of the way to finishing something.

And when you start the next day, you lose the current pacing you had which I dislike.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    Ouru said:
    Thank you all for your answers

huffer
    said:
    You're right, I expressed myself wrong. My bad, I don't know I usually say modeling for the whole pipeline.

Neox said:
    Both, how much is "enough" for daily production (expressed in hours). I know its relative to each person, but to make myself a general idea, cause I'm not spending enough time on it (i think)
    then between 0 and 10 hours a day. depends on the project and the task

privately not so much anymore, every now and then, not really measurable. more if i am in the mood, very often... not at all :) 
  • Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    Everyday basically, I always have a personal project of some sort going + modelling at work. It's very rare that I'll have a day of no modelling, it basically only happens if I'm out of country. 
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    8 hours a day during the week (work),
    When i work on a personnal project after work you can add from 1-6h a day to that but...way less often than I used to I must say :/

Aren't we a lil insane?
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    Tits said:
    8 hours a day during the week (work),
    When i work on a personnal project after work you can add from 1-6h a day to that but...way less often than I used to I must say :/

Aren't we a lil insane?
    is your work all modelling tho? how much do you actually model? how much is sculpting how much texturing?

i have days where i do not model at all, sometimes i do nothing but modelling for weeks
  • Ouru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ouru vertex
    Neox said:
    more if i am in the mood, very often... not at all :) 
    I'm trying to produce every day, even though I not always feel like it. But 18 daily hours of not feeling like it is hard, so I get like 2, but feel like shit.
    I'm scared of being left behind, btw love your stuff, I always stalk your works on ArtStation c:
  • Chimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    Sometimes not at all but I'm a generalist. If you're a professional and have a full time job, I think it varies a lot and depends how intensive your work is, might want to spend time with family etc outside of work. If you're learning the basics or unemployed, then really as much as possible. Less about X per day and more about a high quantity of high quality pieces that are finished.

Which usually means keeping scope small to keep quality high. The natural inclination is to strive for maximum quality _over_ quantity, but that's only useful if you're experienced and good at it. A noob polishing a turd is going to end up with a turd. To start with you just need to finish what you start often, so you can iterate on what didnt go well as often as possible, that is to say, don't get stuck into a 10 week piece because you think you can make it a masterpiece. just get it finished in a set time so you can evaluate what ate up the most time and how it could be better spent to get better results in a better time.

Tis a lesson ive had to learn the hard way multiple times in multiple fields over the years, take it from me and do what you can finish AND finish well. Not too big that you're wasting time that could be spent iterating, and not too small that you're not improving. Find that balance.
  • Ouru
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ouru vertex
    Chimp said:
    Sometimes not at all but I'm a generalist. If you're a professional and have a full time job, I think it varies a lot and depends how intensive your work is, might want to spend time with family etc outside of work. If you're learning the basics or unemployed, then really as much as possible. Less about X per day and more about a high quantity of high quality pieces that are finished.

Which usually means keeping scope small to keep quality high. The natural inclination is to strive for maximum quality _over_ quantity, but that's only useful if you're experienced and good at it. A noob polishing a turd is going to end up with a turd. To start with you just need to finish what you start often, so you can iterate on what didnt go well as often as possible, that is to say, don't get stuck into a 10 week piece because you think you can make it a masterpiece. just get it finished in a set time so you can evaluate what ate up the most time and how it could be better spent to get better results in a better time.

Tis a lesson ive had to learn the hard way multiple times in multiple fields over the years, take it from me and do what you can finish AND finish well. Not too big that you're wasting time that could be spent iterating, and not too small that you're not improving. Find that balance.
    I'm going to save this text, I'm literally doing that.
    Spending months on projects because I want to make it perfect, I'm scared of doing shitty work.
  • Millenia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Millenia polycount sponsor
    Practically every day unless I have no PC access.
  • Defunct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Defunct polycounter lvl 10
    About 2 hours a day.
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    0-8 hours during daytime at work depending on the task, unless you count fixing radar and depth/collision models as modeling as well, then 8. Plus 0-12 hours after work depending on how caught up I get on a model for one of my personal projects.

Scripting in blueprints and learning c++ for UE4 is a nice break too! Nothing beats modeling and animating a robot, and then seeing them fight each other over a castle :P
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    9 to 10 hours weekdays.  3 - 5 hours weekends
  • Mant1k0re
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mant1k0re polycounter lvl 8
    2 hours per day in average and way more on the week-end. I don't know how people can have a full time job and model 6 or 8 hours after hours and have a partner or a family O.O that's insane.
  • Kbrom12
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kbrom12 polycounter lvl 8
    8-12 hours including work hours during the weekdays then I get a few hours in on the weekends.
  • Nam.Nguyen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nam.Nguyen polycounter lvl 9
    Usually every day, except sunday.

The key to keep you from burned out is to avoid doing the same thing every day over and over. You can :

+ Mix it up with other type of works, doing 2 project at the same time, ( ex : 4h  modeling on project 1, 4h on texturing project 2)

+ Learn new techniques, you might do the same thing but not the same way and you can improve your works at the same time

+ Better time management : there are ton of guideline out there about this topic. Just be organize, you will get more stuff done and have more break time

+ Keep yourself inspired : Take a look at awesome works from people here on polycount or Artstation. Browsing through your old projects, compare them with the newest one, see how much you have improved.

• Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    21 times a month or more. any less is bad for your prostate.