Home Technical Talk

Question about 3DS Max to Zbrush workflow for a gun.

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Spode polycounter lvl 3

Hi!

So for the last year or so ive been making my high poly weapons within 3DS Max. Ive recently started to use Zbrush for some of my projects, and id really like to incorporate it further into my workflow. Ive decided I want to try and make the high poly for my next project ( A HK MP5 Sub machine gun) within Zbrush, but im wondering if this is the correct way to go about making this, or whether it would be better to stay within Max.

My idea for how I would do it would be to make the base mesh in Max and then export it to Zbrush and add the finer details there, but im not sure how well this will translate to something as hard surface as a gun.

Any help or advice I could receive on this would be very appreciated as im quite unsure about how to go about doing this.

Replies

• cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    It's up to you, really. Modeling it in SubD within max will definitely make adjustments at a later date much, much easier though. And your lowpoly is halfway there.
  • Spode
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spode polycounter lvl 3
    Cheers for the reply, my main concern with it right now is figuring out what details to do in Max and which to do in Zbrush, this is the first mesh ill going into some real detail with outside of an Axe ive made prior to this.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Personally I wouldn't take this into ZB at all, there isn't even a wooden stock to bang up here. Pretty much all the forms I can see are fairly easily modelled in a traditional SubD workflow, and enable you to edit subdivided edge bevels, re-boolean and the like long after you finished version 0.001 ...
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    The advantage of taking your model from Max into ZBrush is ZB connects all your verts upon import and you can dynamesh the model (use Dynamesh Master you can download it) and use polish on the pieces. Dynamesh master even respects polygroups so can specifically select psrts to polish collectively or separately. This gives you incredible freedom, and for me it solved my hard surface problems. Here is the thread by Amsterdam Hilton Hotel, which explains the process: http://polycount.com/discussion/168610/proboolean-dynamesh-hardsurface-workflow-tutorial/p1

Cheerio