Home Unity

Optimizing my first 3D game on mobile (IOS / Android)

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
salimmatta polycounter lvl 7
Hello guys,

We are an indie team game developers, and from now to the next upcoming 2 weeks we are going to release our first 3D game on mobile using Unity. I request assistance from the experts when it comes to optimizing the entire game. I do understand that I should check quality and player settings in Unity, but I would really prefer a direct help from someone who already have experience in that matter.

Thank you,
Kind regards :smile:

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    It sounds like you need to hire soneone. We have a jobs section.

Or else someone already on your team needs to be in charge of optimization. It's a very hands-on task.

There are many good tips here in the Unity section if you dig around a little.

Just don't expect an expert to do all your optimization work for free.
  • RyanB

We are an indie team game developers, and from now to the next upcoming 2 weeks we are going to release our first 3D game on mobile using Unity.

As Eric said, you need to hire someone.

Also, two weeks before release is not the time to be optimizing.  Making any changes to the game 2 weeks before release is extremely risky and always creates bugs.  All of the optimizations that need to be made must be tested on device and regressed. 

• cptSwing
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah, depending on how your worlds, models, effects were set up, 2 weeks will not be nearly enough for significant optimizations. You need to plan for target platforms at a way earlier stage of development.. ;-)

• PeterNP
    Keep it low on Polycounts
    Bake Lights (it's better than real-time lighting) for mobile.
    Use Mobile Shaders
    Avoid particle effects
    Use fake trees if needed
    Don't use unity terrain system
    Disable Shadows or use fake shadows there is plenty of assets for that pupose
    Make static objects (static and turn off READ_RIGHT) on those meshes
    Good scripting !
    And more importantly NEVER EVER use unity standard shaders it will kill your FPS
    There is a new light weight render pipeline configuration in unity 2018 try it out

and you can look up more about mobile optimization in the official unity YouTube channel
    https://www.youtube.com/user/Unity3D/search?query=mobile
    they have some great tutorials on that subject
    even some of them are old but the same stuff apply to unity 2018 and so on
    i hope that helps a little bit ;)
    #HR