Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monthly Environment Art Challenge - January & February 2017 (46)

Replies

• Tzur_H
    Offline / Send Message
    Tzur_H polycounter lvl 9
    Toku said:
    @cfey Thanks! I used MD to sim the cloth on the bed but its difficult to fold it under like in the concept. especially if it has more than one side. I think I will probably end up simulating it, then moving it with FFD then sculpting in ZBrush to get an accurate result

@Tzur_H Keep up the good work man, It's looking much better once you have visual landmarks which you can associate with in reality. My measurements are about the same.

The Coffee table may be a bit too tall, On average they are 1-2in shorter than the tops of the seat:
    http://www.decosoup.com/images/stories/Design_Issues/Coffee_tables/00C.jpg 

There are a few technologies which are behind in UE4 such as real-time GI, Decal shaders etc which make it difficult to copy the style of some games. Check the thread "Star Citizen Decal Technique" it has a lot of good information regarding getting high quality decals in UE4
    Thanks dude,  I think the sofa is actually too low, so I might bring that up in level with the coffee table as sown in your reference, or vise versa, I'll see what works better.

If you want to fold the blanket over in MD, you can use pins to hold the fabric in place. It's hard to explain in words so just do a Google search on it :]
  • RustyBeard
    Offline / Send Message
    RustyBeard polycounter lvl 2
    Was a bit late to the party on this, but thought I should show you what I ended up with: I made a couple of changes to the design to add to the physicality and some of the perspective is a little different. Really enjoyed this piece and learnt loads. 

• RustyBeard
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi guys, bit late to the party on this. Loved the concepts but I hadn't done much stylized work so tried my hand at the well concept by Egor. Initial grey box for proportions done in Maya, then form and sculpt in Zbrush, broke the whole thing up into polygroups for ID masks, UV's done in Zbrush and Maya then baked and textured in Substance Painter. Created a set of smart materials using masks created from curvature, AO, Thickness and World Position with some hand painted work for details. Rendered with Marmoset 2. 
  • Decordova360
    Offline / Send Message
    Decordova360 polycounter lvl 9
    Great job guys on the challenge. My first one to share and it has been fun. Look forward to participate in many more. For now, here is my render of the HMX Grenade.
    Thanks and I cant wait to see what will be next :smile:

• creepyhooman
    Online / Send Message
    creepyhooman polycounter lvl 7
    Nice work guys.

My grenade turned up somewhat different than how I imagined it in substance painter, but here it goes.

Next one is that stylized prop.
  • limit3d_me
    Offline / Send Message
    limit3d_me polycounter lvl 5
     First post with this account. I've been inactive for a bit and I kind of forgot my account. So.... tabula rasa and all that bullshitery.

Anyways I'm doing the well.

Geo and UV's are mostly done here, so 2nd to last number is Tri count. Everything except the logs and skull are split into quarters and repeated, then rotated 90 degrees around origin. Added a stone base to the logs too, just make the logs not look like they're floating in space.0

Candles aren't modeled yet, and I haven't made alpha planes for the grass either.

I'll try to update this when I can. Final piece will be in sketchfab.

Edit: https://skfb.ly/667v6  but its not entirely finished yet

Cheers :D

I was going to be lazy and just pipe shove all the rocks, I was yelled at so I retopo'd to a cleaner single mesh.

beginning of texture.

how it's looking in sketchfab.

• PSok
    Offline / Send Message
    PSok polycounter lvl 4
    Hello.
    It's my first time that I join to challange. I choose prop modeling because I always want to make stylized model, also I like this style.

My goal for this project is to make Game Ready asset using a Maya (Block shape, UV), ZBrush (Sculpt) and Substance Designer (Detail), next it will be render out in Marmoset or Unreal. 

I try sculpt only things that I need to sculpt, rest will be maked in Substance Designer.
    For example, bricks I sculpted only borders, rest height details will be maked in Designer.
    Wood I sculpted all in Zbrush because it is easier to make this kind sculpt than trying achieve this details in SD.

Also I will make it modular. I won't  spend sculpt all of pieces. Ground bricks it have only 2 pieces but if I rotate or turn I will have another looking brick, so I save my time. Same with bigger brick, chains.
    Main Wood I sculpted only one, another one is copy and pass with my block model, than I correct some details.
    Wall with little triangle bricks I maked with alphas, I create 4 alphas than I put in on wall than I sculpted. This kind of tricks increase speed of my workflow. 

• kysg
    Offline / Send Message
    kysg polycounter lvl 3
    just want to get some thoughts on how to improve the low poly grenade.  I have this baked off but want to improve it.
  • hannes d
    Offline / Send Message
    hannes d polycounter lvl 12

more progress, started baking some bits, adding detail etc

• Atticus
    Offline / Send Message
    Atticus polycounter lvl 9
    model
    Hey all,

Everyone's stuff is looking great. I went back into my project and instead of texturing in Photoshop, I decided to learn Substance Painter. These were my results in my second round of texturing with Substance.
  • jenast_
    Offline / Send Message
    jenast_ vertex
    Interesting workflow @RustyBeard ! Gonna try that when time allows.
    Your model looks amazing!

I just thought I was gonna post my progress so far. Made a few changes to the model from the feedback I got. Baked it and now I'm in Substance Painter doodling. First time I use it on a more serious model, slowly getting my head around it. 
    To the left is how it looks in SP so far. And to the right a quick render in Marmoset 2.

I will put some more time into texturing before calling it done.
  • RustyBeard
    Offline / Send Message
    Interesting workflow @RustyBeard ! Gonna try that when time allows.
    Your model looks amazing!

Digging your model too! Looks nice and clean. 

One thing which I noticed is how much everyone is loving putting wear on these, like they have been thrown around or rattled around in an iron box. Explosives in the real world aren't generally treated so nonchalantly! That's purely a stylistic choice though, still looks good and edge wear is great for really making the individual shapes stand out. 

Thanks for the kind words!  I highly recommend trying out this workflow.  I love the freedom of design that the workflow gives me and for non deforming / environment pieces it allows for a super efficient model and at the least a concept piece which can be cleaned up easily. 

A tip for baking with painter / designer which really helped me is always... ALWAYS bake your high / low model at 4K with anti-aliasing turned up to 4x4 at a minimum. It will massively increase your bake time, but you will see a great difference especially with those curvature maps and edge wear masks. Even if you only export out 1 or 2K down-sampling will give much better results.

• abyssdrakon
    Offline / Send Message
    abyssdrakon polycounter lvl 2
    Hi guys, i just saw the challenge yesterday and i hope is not too late to participate.

There are so many awesome things being created and posted :D

This is what i currently have at the moment :).

• hannes d
    Offline / Send Message
    it's never to late to start dude :)
    go for it
  • bjporter
    Offline / Send Message
    bjporter polycounter lvl 2
    Hi everyone, I just joined (might work on the sci fi room scene). I assume the challenge ends at February 28th?

@cfey
    Looks really good! Nice work on the bed.

@RustyBeard
    That looks absolutely gorgeous. (One thing I notice is that the rib cage to the left at first looked like a white spiral egg. The flat shader version seemed to show the depth.)
  • bjporter
    Offline / Send Message
    Just started on Sci Fi Scene.

Trying to get some shadows, lighting, illumination ready for the scene. Just a preparation.

Video:
      https://gfycat.com/SelfishCarelessDiamondbackrattlesnake

Too dark, but first version:

With some more intense illumination - seems closer to the original scene:

Studying the scene as well. Perspectives, detailing, decals, lighting, various models and textures that are repeated, as well as the plants, and books.

I found 2 "errors". 1) It looks as though the reflection of the left light is not in the correct position from the camera. 2) There do not seem to be any branches on the larger plant. 

• DeathstrokeFTW
    Offline / Send Message
    DeathstrokeFTW polycounter lvl 4
    After failing my art test I'm probably going to spend more time on these monthly challenges from now on.
  • Marverick
    Offline / Send Message
    Marverick polycounter lvl 6

model
    I finally finished the grenade after stalling it for so long.
    and it didn't take as long as I thought too
    urgh shamefur dispray!

anyway moving on to the scifi scene
    hopefully I can finish it by the end of the month
  • cfey
    Offline / Send Message
    cfey triangle
    Hi guys,

haven't posted progress for a while. had to bake and re-bake and reorder the UV's, struggling with substance painter and quixel and suchs things. now i'm arranging things in marmoset3, fixing color-issues (for example the awful black metal). decals, plants and books are still missing (am i scared of them?!) will ad them soon... i hope ;-)
    hope you like it!

best regards
  • bjporter
    Offline / Send Message
    @cfey that looks gorgeous. I like your interpretation of the overall scene. The space backdrops are crazy good, did you use a shader, or is a texture (and if so where from)?

• Tzur_H
    Offline / Send Message
    Tzur_H polycounter lvl 9
    @cfey coming along very nice dude!
    few things: the top of the window, there's a seam we can see through.
    all of the materials feel the same, they're quite flat looking at the moment.  play with the roughness values and add some more interest to the materials.
    don't be afraid to use more polygons.  for example, the orange handles that are attached to the wall panels, use geo.
  • Vailias
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Coming along slowly. 
    Screengrab from Max.
  • cfey
    Offline / Send Message
    cfey triangle
     @bjporter thanks a lot! The space-backdrop is an image from wikipedia shifted to blue (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milky_Way#/media/File:Milky_Way_IR_Spitzer.jpg)

@Tzur_H have seen the seam before uploading, thought its still a w.i.p. , but thx for noticing! As i said, im playing with the colors and stuff, i'm on your side, the scene looks so damn flat right now  :( good idea with the roughness, will try it asap.
    with the geo it will be a little bit more tricky, i have still some texturespace left, but i think SP is sadly very bitchy with changing geo... i try!
    thought i want to use very few polys, because i think its a little bit more challenging. but in the case of the handles it's maybe a little bit too minimalistic  :p

@RustyBeard looking right from the colors and it seems that everything is in place, nothing forgotten. in my opinion what makes the overall look not matching the concept is, that its not cartoony, sketchy, bendy (enough). at first, look at the silhuette.

maybe you could ad some loops and try to bend all the parts a little so that they fit the concept.
    you could play with the lens a little - a fisheye could do a good job on this one ;-)
    i think the ripcage and the hand are far to detailed, make 2 or three fat rips instead of 6 or 7 tiny ones. the same with the grass and the rope; fat, exagurated, clear, reduced shapes.
    you posted your UV's: i think you could have straightend out some parts (like the rope, the dwellrocks, even the soilpart could be straightened). the distortions you get are not that big deal, but you get a lot more space...
    i think its a 1k texture?! you can pack things closer together. in my experience in a 1k texture its enough to have at least 4 pixels between two parts to avoid bleeding. that saves a lot of space as well. what also helps against bleeding: 'padding' or how its called in xNormals PS-filter 'dilation' - good sideeffect: makes the texture look a lot cooler ;-)

i'm so sorry, thats a lot of feedback! 

best regards
  • Toku
    Offline / Send Message
    Toku polycounter lvl 6
    Hey guys, Here is progress with the Scifi scene, Still need to sculpt the bed, model the panel behind it and cover the scene in decals. Most the assets in the scene are the Mid/HP stuff without a smooth mod on so I need to bake a lot of it down also.  I also used the Substance Source library to get some materials which fit  the minimalist/clean scifi appearance, although they do look flat from a distance.

• RustyBeard
    Offline / Send Message

@RustyBeard looking right from the colors and it seems that everything is in place, nothing forgotten. in my opinion what makes the overall look not matching the concept is, that its not cartoony, sketchy, bendy (enough). at first, look at the silhuette.

maybe you could ad some loops and try to bend all the parts a little so that they fit the concept.
    you could play with the lens a little - a fisheye could do a good job on this one ;-)
    i think the ripcage and the hand are far to detailed, make 2 or three fat rips instead of 6 or 7 tiny ones. the same with the grass and the rope; fat, exagurated, clear, reduced shapes.
    you posted your UV's: i think you could have straightend out some parts (like the rope, the dwellrocks, even the soilpart could be straightened). the distortions you get are not that big deal, but you get a lot more space...
    i think its a 1k texture?! you can pack things closer together. in my experience in a 1k texture its enough to have at least 4 pixels between two parts to avoid bleeding. that saves a lot of space as well. what also helps against bleeding: 'padding' or how its called in xNormals PS-filter 'dilation' - good sideeffect: makes the texture look a lot cooler ;-)

i'm so sorry, thats a lot of feedback! 

best regards
    Thanks for the feedback! Yeah, I could definitely spent more time on the UV's and the grass. I decided to go a little less cartoony than the original concept because of personal preference, although I may go back and see if I can push it more that way at a later date. 

Thanks for taking the time to go through that, really appreciate it! Your piece is look great too!

Cheers, 
    Russ
  • Andy19941
    Calvinb41 said:
    Hey this is my first time doing one of these challenges. check it out!! please give me some feedback on how I can make this look spot on, always willing to learn. thank you in advance!!

My website : http://calvinb41.wixsite.com/calvinbaptista-1 

Hey this is really good so far, loving the blend between the cylindrical shape and the hard surface top of the grenade, a couple of suggestions though is to lower the amount of sides on the pin of the grenade there is just a little too much going on there and add some Thickness to the bottom of the grenade where it bevels.
  • abyssdrakon
    Offline / Send Message
    @cfey
    Your scenario is looking good :D.
    I wonder what's the max limit of meshes Marmoset toolbag3 can display.

@Decordova360
    Very nice granade :).
    I like the small details and the damage in the logo and the letters

@RustyBeard
    Your stylized sculpt looks very cool, how many hours it took you? O-O

• abyssdrakon
    Offline / Send Message
    Another update on my scene, i just hope i can finish it before the challenge ends.

Sorry about the meshes looking weird in the UE4 screenshot, i haven't unwrapped them yet.

• Tzur_H
    Offline / Send Message
    Tzur_H polycounter lvl 9
    @IsaacRivera double check the proportions of the scene mate.  look at the bed in comparison to the window in the concept vs yours.  your layout is extremely wide at the moment.  look at how much space there is from the end of the bed til the drawers or whatever it is.  try and break the scene and look at these types of relations between assets to better gauge the proportions.

here's my progress.

• NBerbatov
    Offline / Send Message
    NBerbatov polycounter lvl 6

HI! I started modeling on the really nice  concept of  Egor Bielawski. Here is my block out in 3d max and some sculpting in Zbrush. I hope I can finish it :)

Any advice and critique are welcome :)           

• hannes d
    Offline / Send Message
    sculpting the bed
  • artstream
    Offline / Send Message
    artstream polycounter lvl 11
    Had to start over, lost the original grenade file. I think it was for the best, as it forced me to try this shape again and get it correct. Quick screenshot from 3DS Max. Goal is to finish this with variations before GDC next week. 

@hannes d: the bed is looking good. Make sure the detail is consistent with this asset across the other main assets in the scene. 

@Andy19941 I'd look at the concept again, your proportions are all over the place with the top and bottom of the grenade. The pin mechanism is not nearly as big as you have it, and the bottom of the grenade doesn't flare out like that. Based on the concept's silo, and what I've seen of this model online by other artists, is that the bottom segment is flush with the rest of the grenade body, which makes sense, especially for ease of throwing. 

• DkuCook
    Offline / Send Message
    DkuCook vertex

Needed a break from my current project so headed over here for some inspiration. Loved what i saw, so thought I'd throw my hat in.

Have got a marmoset scene uploaded over at artstation if anyone wants a closer look.

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/abJBJ

• mats effect
    Thought I would take part. Here is my highpoly so far. Want to adjust some of those edges on the top they look pretty sharp still. 
  • Toku
    Offline / Send Message
    Toku polycounter lvl 6
    Another update, Almost there now! Just need to make the decals for the panels on the floors, vents, bolts etc and detail the shelves/coffe table! 

@hannes d
    That bed is looking really good! But an issue is that the area where the duvet is folded over looks like a separate piece, it follows the concept closer than mine but I am not sure if its practical

• jonnavidson
    Offline / Send Message
    jonnavidson vertex
    @Toku Originally I interpreted the concept the same way you did. Since the blue sheet was wrapped under the mattress I ended up thinking it must be a separate sheet that's not attached the the blue sheet. I think your room is coming along nicely though keep it up

@NBerbatov I think yours is coming along nicely,keep working on it I feel your block out is pretty good so far.

@Tzur_H I feel the design of your door doesn't really fit with the rest of the room. The room has a lot of hard boxy edges, and almost nothing rounded like your door.

@cfey Yeah, I'm saving the plants for last :D Havnt even blocked in the pots or books myself. Struggling with everything else enough as it is.

I feel your drawers may be a little bit busy compared the the rest of the room with all the bolts you added. The back panel behind the bed needs some more work I think but I'm sure your just trying to figure it out. It looks flat to me because the folds are not catching any light.

Currently struggling with the sofa. Think I have some pretty fundamental errors that I'm trying to figure out.  A lot of hard edges on the softer materials on the edges of the polygons, I think I may need more geometry and follow the silhouette of the sculpt closer. Maybe I should use more tris since it's a non moving organic form.

I think I may need to make two texture maps for the sofa too, some of the parts are very small, not sure, the baking didn't turn out well for anything on the model.

Have learned that test baking is important.

Also here is my block out.

• artstream
    Offline / Send Message
    @jonnavidson  if you post your low, might be able to give you some tips. Depending on what you want to be the focus pieces, you might want to re-use the pillows at different angles to get more bang for your buck. 

Updates, with the variations was thinking of: default, gas, and EMP. Also some different bottom options as well, just for fun. Should be working on the in-game model & uvs tomorrow, to be texturing Wednesday.

• Valravn
    Offline / Send Message
    Valravn polycounter lvl 7
    Here is my attempt at the grenade. Nowhere near as impressive as what I'm seeing from the rest of you, but I'm happy with them for now :)

Modo, Substance Painter, Photoshop, Marmoset.
  • Zerogun
    Offline / Send Message
    Zerogun polycounter lvl 9
    I was able to go back and revamp my model to add in missing pieces. I also based it off some other images I found along the same lines. Mind the darkness, I'm still adjusting lighting to get the render effect I need.

I feel I'm almost done. Just need a few more adjustments.
  • hannes d
    Offline / Send Message
    man i have the feeling i wont have enough time :dizzy: 
  • Turks
    Offline / Send Message
    Turks polycounter lvl 9
    /delete...

Wrong thread. Whoops!
  • jonnavidson
    Offline / Send Message
    jonnavidson vertex
    @artstream
    That's a good idea I'll do that.Here is the low poly.

• Tzur_H
    Offline / Send Message
    Tzur_H polycounter lvl 9
    hannes d said:
    man i have the feeling i wont have enough time :dizzy: 
    I'm certain I won't finish in time, I have other things interfeering.  Don't stress, just make sure it looks awesome.
    @artstream
    That's a good idea I'll do that.Here is the low poly.

You have a lot of un-needed poly loops here. If they don't contribute to the silhouette, get rid of em.
  • artstream
    Offline / Send Message
    @jonnavidson I'd recommend letting your normal map do a lot more work. The "footer" of the couch (with all the small divets and cuts) could easily be reduced to just flat geo, and let the normal map handle that. The detail is so small and doesn't break the silhouette enough to warrant it. Similar to the side indent of the couch. You could also have the cushions be one large mesh, and let the normal handle the detail. 

Update: bakes done, shown with the 3 variations of the HMX (default frag, gas, and EMP). Shown with normals and AO inside of TB3. The grenade is about 7500 tris, and the two add-ons are about 2k, due to their repetition throughout the main body. 
  • Vailias
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Had some fun tonight putting together the flame for the candles in Unreal. Its a textureless particle system. Came out rather well I think. 
  • jonnavidson
    Offline / Send Message
    jonnavidson vertex
    @Tzur_H
    @artstream

Hey thanks for your advice guys, helped a lot. Reduced the poly count a ton and it's looking much better.

• cfey
    Offline / Send Message
    cfey triangle
    Hello folks,

here is my almost final piece:

tell me what you would change -definately-, i'm so tired of looking at it again and again  :s
    i only want to finish this... please  :D

best regards
  • hannes d
    Offline / Send Message
    @cfey i think you should tweak light and materials
    example there is no shadow in your scene
    there should be at least shadow under the bed etc
  • ziikutv
    Offline / Send Message
    ziikutv polycounter lvl 9
    HI guys, I am thinking of participating in future (I assume it is too late for me).

Do these assets have to be made in 1 piece? I am seeing a lot of the grenades' wireframes and they all seem to be made from one mesh.
  • cfey
    Offline / Send Message
    cfey triangle
    @hannes d yeah, that makes sense ^^ my three lights on the ceiling should produce shadow - confuses me a little... 
    i'll try to fix that issue and tweak the materials (but marmoset ins't very handy imho)

@ziikutv you don't have to model everything in one piece!
    (but sometimes it is better to do so to reduce texturespace... in my opinion you should maximize the usage of texturespace - the polycount isn't as important)