Home Career & Education

Do studios fire cannabis users if they find out?

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
ambelamba polycounter lvl 6
 Well, I am in Cali. And probably attend Gnomon with Uncle Sam's pocket starting from this Summer or Fall. And I intend to stay local, job wise.

And...for the last two years, I have been dependent on weed to function. :(

I gotta confess, I have some deep-seated anger issue and vaping some few puffs of Indica calms me down. I have to vape before bed to function normally on the next day. It gives me more confidence to jump into creative works like drawing and sketching. I can be free from random angry thoughts. I can be really calm and pleasant and very likable. All thanks to the Devil's Lettuce. 

I have a feeling that I can be a decent modeler/sculptor after finishing Gnomon. But...I guess the studios are pretty much a corporate environment and I wonder if they do random urine test. 

This is a huge confession and I had to post it because I intentionally missed the vaping last night and it was horrible today. For the half of the daytime I couldn't draw or sketch. (Tuesday is my day off.) I was overcome with some random anger. Before dinner I fired up the Banana Kush cartridge and took a nap for an hour and a half.

And now I am functional and content with myself. Now it's almost 10:30pm and I am debating myself if I should pull a midnight oil to draw some characters for the admission interview on Friday. But I will be working the whole day tomorrow. 

Sorry for the wall of texts, but I am really curious. Like I said I wanna stay local, but even in CA companies can fire employees over weed use. And I am not sure if I can be a one-man outsourcing studio since I am not good at running MY OWN BUSINESS... 

Replies

• Travis C
    Offline / Send Message
    Travis C polycounter lvl 8
    I highly doubt you'll get tested. It's more of an "at your own risk" kind of thing. As long as you don't smell bad from the drugs and you can perform, and don't get in trouble with authorities, it should be fine. I knew some vfx guys in an LA studio that did crack often and even threw parties where people snorted like it was nothing.
  • gsokol
    I don't think I've ever heard of any studios drug testing folks.   That being said, if you consider yourself dependent on the stuff to do any work...you might have issue.  Nobody will care what you do in your free time, but they would probably care if you rolled into work baked.
  • bounchfx
    like George, I've never heard of any studio actually doing a drug test... but on the other hand, I have worked with people and artists that were nearly-dependent on weed to get through their day. They would smoke in the morning before work, and some had vape pens during lunch or whatnot. If you are discreet and 100% let it not be an issue with your productivity and social qualities at work you should be fine, imo.
  • Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I think you'd be hard pressed to find a studio that didn't have at the very least few recreational smokers. I dare say you'll be fine.
  • oglu
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    I think you'd be hard pressed to find a studio that didn't have at the very least few recreational smokers. I dare say you'll be fine.
    true....
  • Joao Sapiro
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    if studios fired weed smokers , this industry would have a massive brain drain xD
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    Treat it like alcohol, don't drink in work, don't turn up drunk to work and don't turn up reeking of it.
    You may want to examine the reasons for being dependent on weed, maybe get help looking into the anger issues if at all possible. 

Try looking for alternatives such as a MediPen which contains a high % of CBD but no THC. That may give you what you are looking for. All the best with your applications and kudos for being brave enough to have a open talk about it!
  • Spoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    ambelamba said:
    [...] I guess the studios are pretty much a corporate environment and I wonder if they do random urine test. 
    [...]
    Random urine tests is probably the last thing you will see :) We are not an Olympic sports team.
    There are people here that smoke weed. Every day. Everyone knows. No one cares.
    If they deliver the quality they should, by the time they should, it's not an issue.

I am not sure that can be said for all studios, of course.

• pangaea
    Offline / Send Message
    pangaea polycounter lvl 5
    You should really get help with anger issues and not just smoke weed all the time.

Weed is a bit funny as overtime you might get more paranoid. That might spell bigger problems in the future especially if you have anger issues.

If you mix anger issues with paranoia it might be really bad.
  • ExcessiveZero
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    the real question is do studios fire cannibals if they catch you eating a co-worker?
  • radiancef0rge
  • Add3r
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    the real question is do studios fire cannibals if they catch you eating a co-worker?
    Once again... As long as the quality is being produced on time, who are they to say?  Amirite guys?  Guys?

But, on topic, I have seen people fired/"let go" because of obvious use of cannabis around the workplace during work hours, on work property, and was arguably causing some issues with work ethic and production.  Though, I can't see recreational use out of the work place being too much of an issue in this industry.
  • Chimp
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    Nobody will fire or not hire you for using it in your personal time. Bringing it into the workplace or having it impact any aspect of work though is obviously a big problem for employers. If its a medical thing, authorised by a doctor, employers will probably understand fine and perhaps make allowances for you.

Writing about a dependence on it for anger management, being functional, with the tone you have (i.e the devil's herb versus medical marijuana) in a industry forum might put hiring people off though, and worry people if you were already hired. You will be googled. Think about your tone and what you say and how it might be construed in the context of this forum. Personal blogs are probably fine, but have to conduct yourself professionally in an industry place or you will for better or for worse get judged by people that may or may not hire you.

TLDR: weed is a useful support, but if you get to the point where you can't support yourself without it, it's become a dependency issue that employers will worry might affect work. What happens if you can't get your fix at the most crucial time in a project? Just deal with you spending the day in irritable mental agony? Or hire someone who never has that problem?

We're an industry of creative types, drug use is all over the place. Its less about whether you're taking drugs, and more about whether or not you can act responsibly, appropriately and not have it impact work, which your post could be construed to indicate you might struggle with that.
  • slipsius
    I think studio's know better than to ask / test. They don't want to lose half their staff...

Of course, if you show up to work high,  smelling of it, not getting your work done, I`d say chances of getting fired are much greater.  

Even in places that it's legal, it's going to be treated like alcohol, as mentioned above.

• thomasp
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    i think the problem is if you are not really functional without your fix - that sounds like a long term problem that requires solving with priority.

definitely not one for the interview to bring up when they ask what you consider your weaknesses. ;)

• ambelamba
    Offline / Send Message
    gsokol said:
    I don't think I've ever heard of any studios drug testing folks.   That being said, if you consider yourself dependent on the stuff to do any work...you might have issue.  Nobody will care what you do in your free time, but they would probably care if you rolled into work baked.
    It's not that bad. I just need to vape before bed. It's mostly for anger management and stabilizing the mood. I would never use weed during the daytime. Only before bedtime. 

As for the anger issue, it...runs in the family, at least for 4~5 generations. So I am not sure if there's a good solution beside vasectomy. And I used the term Devil's Lettuce as a joke. I do believe in the healing power of weed. :)

I am surprised by the avalanche of responses. Thank you folks. 
  • Mark Dygert
    Like getting baked at your desk, watching netflix and disrupting everyone with your annoyingly loud stoner laugh?
    Or 
    That's what you do in your down time away from work?

Either way, it's legal in a handful of states and it's pretty low priority for law enforcement in a lot of states so it really comes down to how uptight is your employer.

• Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    the weed smoking is the least of my concerns from everything you posted. The deep seated anger issues. Yeah thats huge red flag.
  • Odow
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow polycounter lvl 8
    ambelamba said:
    It's mostly for anger management and stabilizing the mood.
    I think this might be your bigger issue here. Like hugeeeeee Red flag. If you need drug to function, it can be a huge problem. Not sure how " sorry for my attitude yesterday, I didn't smoke my daily dose of pot" would go with your manager.
  • ambelamba
    Offline / Send Message
    Odow said:
    ambelamba said:
    It's mostly for anger management and stabilizing the mood.
    I think this might be your bigger issue here. Like hugeeeeee Red flag. If you need drug to function, it can be a huge problem. Not sure how " sorry for my attitude yesterday, I didn't smoke my daily dose of pot" would go with your manager.
    Ah...actually it's not that bad. The anger issue simmers down after a few days without the weed. I wonder if it's just a quick withdrawal symptom. 

I thought that the anger issue was a fairly common problem for creative types. Well, although I am the only creative/artistic one in the entire family, the anger issue runs in the family. I am doing my best to suppress the temper. Don't many potheads start out because they want to control their temper? To me it does have a great therapeutic effect.

EDIT: For the last 2 years I consistently vaped nightly basis. Come to think of it, the anger didn't really spring up whenever I missed the dose. And if it did, it went away after a few days. Seems like the 'steam' must be vent out every now and then, and weed seems to simply suppress the steam. 

Truth be told, anger was not the main reason why I got my medical card. It was insomnia and mood stabilization was a secondary concern. Actually I missed the dose a few days ago because...I wanted to dream. :p THC does suppress the REM sleep. Hmm, maybe that has something to do with mood control...

Sorry for the wall of texts. :p

EDIT2: I think I mistook the withdrawal symptom with deep seated anger issue, which I could endure well before getting my medical card. Yes, looks like it's the withdrawal symptom! :p
  • EarthQuake
    @ambelamba smoking weed is pretty common in the games industry, just don't show up high or let it affect your work as others have said. Now, honestly the thing you're doing in this thread, self-diagnosing your mental state, is a bit of a red flag. I would suggest that you stop posting about this stuff here and talk to a therapist or psychiatrist.

I don't mean to say this in a way to shame you for wanting to have this conversation, it's certainly a good thing for you to be thinking about, I just think you should have it with a professional rather than random people on polycount, as it is unlikely anyone here is qualified to give you meaningful advice.
  • ambelamba
    Offline / Send Message
    @ambelamba smoking weed is pretty common in the games industry, just don't show up high or let it affect your work as others have said. Now, honestly the thing you're doing in this thread, self-diagnosing your mental state, is a bit of a red flag. I would suggest that you stop posting about this stuff here and talk to a therapist or psychiatrist.

I don't mean to say this in a way to shame you for wanting to have this conversation, it's certainly a good thing for you to be thinking about, I just think you should have it with a professional rather than random people on polycount, as it is unlikely anyone here is qualified to give you meaningful advice.
    Actually self diagnosis is inevitable because there is not enough research on this issue... Ah, I will handle it well. I was very curious because I had no idea how creative industry handles the cannabis users. 
  • Mstankow
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
    Just don't vape in the office.
  • RyanB

ambelamba said:
     Actually I missed the dose a few days ago because...I wanted to dream. :p THC does suppress the REM sleep. Hmm, maybe that has something to do with mood control...
    You should try ZMA.  I took ZMA for a few years when I was weightlifting and it helps you stay in a deep sleep.  Be prepared for some intense dreams.

• ambelamba
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow said:
    Just don't vape in the office.
    Of course I won't! :D
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    I totally agree with EQ.  I get that you feel you are comfortable controlling your anger or that it's "not that bad" but can you guarantee that you won't have a bad day at work that you can't justify?  One "bad day" with a boss that doesn't tolerate that kind of behavior can get you blacklisted pretty quick.  And the industry is SMALL.  Get a professional opinion and maybe even get on a schedule of meeting with them to vent your issues so you can avoid any "bad days."  But on the original topic, weed under control is perfectly fine and no one is going to give you shit unless you put it on display at work.
  • ambelamba
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh said:
    I totally agree with EQ.  I get that you feel you are comfortable controlling your anger or that it's "not that bad" but can you guarantee that you won't have a bad day at work that you can't justify?  One "bad day" with a boss that doesn't tolerate that kind of behavior can get you blacklisted pretty quick.  And the industry is SMALL.  Get a professional opinion and maybe even get on a schedule of meeting with them to vent your issues so you can avoid any "bad days."  But on the original topic, weed under control is perfectly fine and no one is going to give you shit unless you put it on display at work.
     Actually I checked a research page on University of Washington last night. (I can't replicate the search result, though.) Seems like anger is definitely a withdrawal symptom of cannabis. 

I am with the VA healthcare system, that means the healthcare providers won't be that helpful when it comes to cannabis use. (they are federal employees and usually can't give us positive outlook on weed use...) That means I have to do my own research myself. 

I think I confused the withdrawal with something deep seated. Maybe I shouldn't have brought up the anger issue. Well, originally I got my medical card for insomnia and...blood sugar control. Things about anger was what I found out later on.

EDIT: One positive effect I found out was that I can actually reduce the overall sleep time with weed. All I have to do is to go to bed around 1am after vaping. This is rather surprising.  My wakeup time is always consistent, and weed actually helps me cope with less sleep time. Even with nighttime coffee!
  • radiancef0rge
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
    la da da da da
  • ambelamba
    Offline / Send Message
    la da da da da
    Uh...well. As I get older I am more conscious about the substances I take, influencing me. No, I never ever did hard drugs. Never will. I've never smoked cigarette and seldom drink alcohol. 

Well, I know that many artists drink ungodly amount of caffeine, usually through energy drink. To me, coffee is much better. Isolated caffeine does more harm than good. Coffee has more pleasant effect. 

And...years ago I was prescribed with Trazodone because I had insomnia. Around fall 2009, I went to a meditation workshop to see if it works. After just a couple of sessions, I could sleep well without any medication for next few years. But eventually the sleep problem came back. 

I talked to my VA psychiatrist this morning, before work. She told me that I should not be tied with perfectionism, which causes enormous anxiety. Fortunately, she concluded that I am fit for intense schooling. I think many people in the artistic field are dependent on some sort of psychological/psychiatric help. We are not some fine artists and productivity is an important asset we need to possess. 
  • low odor
  • Chimp
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    Quote: " This is a huge confession and I had to post it because I intentionally missed the vaping last night and it was horrible today. For the half of the daytime I couldn't draw or sketch. (Tuesday is my day off.) I was overcome with some random anger. Before dinner I fired up the Banana Kush cartridge and took a nap for an hour and a half."

That is the bit that will worry potential employers. It's not the fact that you smoke weed, its the fact that you seem to be an addict.  If on a particular day you can't get your fix you're going to be useless and potentially impact other people too. Or not turn up. I have in the past been dependent on weed, and I can tell you if you're at that point, its time to stop and suffer the withdrawal so you can sort yourself out, clear headed and flushed of substances. There's many great things about weed, I still love it, but you must not allow yourself to be dependent on it. Have it as a reward for good work, or the last weekend of the month etc.

Don't be an addict for very long, it gets harder to fix. Don't fool yourself into thinking the weed is fixing anger - the same way that regular, heavy coffee drinkers think that the coffee makes them more alert in the morning when actually, it brings them back to a normal level, after withdrawing all night. Never having had coffee, they would not be feeling the effects of withdrawal.

I was given this simple nugget of advice, passed down from grizzled hippies throughout the ages:
    Don't let your life revolve around the weed, have the weed revolve around your life.
    Or something. I was stoned at the time so it's hard to recall, but you get the jist.

Also, continual weed use is shitty. You don't get high the same way, you kind of forget what high even is. Take a month-long break and come back to it and get blown away by the potency. Tolerance is a hell of a thing.

As for sleep, weed significantly reduces the quality of sleep - you don't dream/REM as much - there's little understanding of REM in the scientific community, but the one thing that is known is that we need it, and if you avoid it, you eventually have to pay up. Interrupting REM sleep one night will mean more REM the next night. Basically, the body needs to do it, and delaying it for long periods really has an impact on the organisation and structure of your memory, and the quality of your thinking. You regress slowly to child-like impulsivity and lose the ability to make smart decisions.

TLDR: weed is great, but don't let it run your life or it'll run it into the ground. Just like Booze, nicotine and the rest - they all have positive effects, but becoming dependent on them gives rise to more negative effects.
  • ambelamba
    Offline / Send Message
    @Chimp Thanks. I've been vaping for two years and I never got desensitized with weed. 99% of time I vape a couple of puffs before bed. From my experience it really didn't lessen the quality of sleep. And come to think of it I do dream a lot even after vaping. I just can't remember the most of the dreams.

Like I mentioned before I never did hard drugs and never will. In fact I don't need anything stronger than a couple of inhales and it has been like that. As for the mood stabilization there's not enough serious researches on this, but mostly anecdotal stories. 

I swear that weed doesn't control my life as you fear. No it doesn't. One excuse, though, is that bad temper runs in my paternal family, and I don't want to be associated with that kind of family traits. My family name, especially my bloodline, is notorious for being ill tempered by my people. (believe it or not) I just want to distance myself from that kind of notoriety. 
  • AlexFort
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexFort null
    Has anyone ever tried cbd products of https://uk.ma-time.com/ ? I use a vape at the moment and want something new… found some
    vapes online but don't know what to choose, advice is needed 
  • Kevin Albers
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Albers polycounter lvl 18
    If you get the studio in trouble due to smoking, you could get fired or put on the short list of people who should be laid off if the studio needs to lay off a few people. At the first job I had in the industry, artists were noticed smoking pot in the parking garage by other tenants, which caused serious problems for the studio. If you cause your studio to get kicked out from it's lease, that is quite bad.

In general, it's 'don't ask, don't tell'.  I mean, we are talking about an art department...
  • sacboi
    Offline / Send Message
    sacboi high dynamic range

...instead of asking for advice from a bunch of online forum profiles.

You should really seek help from a health professional...probably ASAP!  

• ambelamba
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't worry. I don't smoke anymore and I don't need to. I feel alright. Just some mixture of vitamins and minerals does the magic.