Home General Discussion

3d art ideas? Post them here!

null
I had an idea to search the internet for ideas for some 3d art. And as per usual for me I searched around google images for a while without any inspiration. So that's where this idea came about. Not only to help me, but other artists who are currently "blocked". If you have an idea for a scene, object, etc. post it here!

Replies

• [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • JordanN
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Good thread.  :)

If you're looking for an idea of what to model, try old animated films. For me, it was a badge of honor trying to remake this style in 3D before I pursued working on my own designs and artstyle (but I still look to this stuff for inspiration).

I would love to see more artists carry on this vision. Especially when there's so much and I'm not exaggerating, SO MUCH concept art out there for these movies. If old animated films were like a buffet, you would NEVER starve looking for ideas to consume. They're just EVERYWHERE, waiting to be modeled.

Princess & The Frog

The Prince of Egypt

Lilo & Stitch

Again, I'm not kidding. There's soooooooooo many out there. And once you're done modeling, DON'T just stop there.

Do what the developers of Guilty Gear Xrd or Paper Man did and try and mimic the style as close as possible. Make the 3D art feel as if it was 2D again.

• PyrZern
  • Magihat
  • Jakro
    Offline / Send Message
    Jakro greentooth
    @Magihat that's a little imitative of minecraft, nice colour pallet though  o:)
  • Linko
    Offline / Send Message
    Linko polycounter lvl 7
    If you want inspiration for hard surface and steam punk stuffs i suggest the software Brainstorm, there is a review of Marc Brunet on Youtube:

https://youtu.be/6MIDiW4qheQ
  • Eric Chadwick
  • Joao Sapiro
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    so you are saying that sites like artstation dont give you inspiration ?
  • Spoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    I would suggest Artstation for general wow, and Pinterest for more specific topics.
    Is there anything you need, which you cant find on those sites?
  • m4dcow
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    The gallery section on http://fzdschool.com/ has some pretty cool stuff, not all polished but can provide a spark.
  • beefaroni
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    m4dcow said:
    The gallery section on http://fzdschool.com/ has some pretty cool stuff, not all polished but can provide a spark.
    Some gem mines right there !!
  • stickadtroja
    Offline / Send Message
    stickadtroja polycounter lvl 11
    I hope we see an end to these lazy threads soon. 
    What here gave you anything a google search couldnt? And was it important enough for asking people to spend time on it?
  • beefaroni
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    I hope we see an end to these lazy threads soon. 

Just link your own stuff. Self promo :smile:

• Joao Sapiro
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    people that enable threads like these are just as culpable of this spoonfeeding trend... nowadays theres no excuse with artstation , pinteret, deviant art etc. 

I seriously doubt you had no idea about these sites since you know/registered in polycount.
    This thread is wut
  • stickadtroja
    Offline / Send Message
    honest question, is it possible for the mods to enforce some no-lazy-threads policy? put it in the posting guidelines; "dont spam, write more than just a sentence, and if you can google the answer dont post at all" and  then remove threads that violate it?
  • beefaroni
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    people that enable threads like these are just as culpable of this spoonfeeding trend... nowadays theres no excuse with artstation , pinteret, deviant art etc. 

Ya but I got 1 new follower on my tumblr. 
  • ambelamba
    Offline / Send Message
    ambelamba polycounter lvl 6
    Organic hard surface modeling based on designs by Ikuto Yamashita.
  • Eric Chadwick
    honest question, is it possible for the mods to enforce some no-lazy-threads policy? put it in the posting guidelines; "dont spam, write more than just a sentence, and if you can google the answer dont post at all" and  then remove threads that violate it?
    That would be a lot of moderation work. And over-moderation never works out well. The OP seems to have a legit need, it looks like they might just need to be shown how to search.

We do have some material in the Intro to Polycount sticky about searching. People don't read, but that's their fault.

Anyhow if you see something that needs moderation, use Flag > Report and let us know. 
  • ExcessiveZero
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    what Joao Sapiro  said and #PenisTanks obviously

• Kwramm
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    just pick some real world objects, contemporary or historical. That makes it easy to find reference. The rest is then more or less straight forward modeling and texturing.
    Another tip is to pick any complex object, e.g. a ship, building, vehicle, and then look for interesting parts to model. E.g. I picked up this book about the HMS Victory and there are some great drawings of the guns. Or if a building is too large of a scope, just model part of the facade or any other interesting feature.
    Another good idea is to think about what you can possibly learn from a piece - other than getting practice - i.e. if the piece would allow you to try a new technique or software.
  • Zeldianiac
    To everyone calling this a "lazy thread"
    I honestly haven't heard of Artisian, haven't liked what I've seen on Deviantart, and don't know where to look on pintrest. I created this as sort of a "what do you model when you don't know what to make" thread. It's a for fun thing, or to hone one's personal skill. I was asking because people here seem to be of a professional mindset. Which this doesn't seem to be the case (as if it were, you wouldn't publicly insult one uninformed as I, and would have left the issue after Spoon simply put it). So to all of you who have called this a "lazy post" or "spoon feeding" it's been said before, and it's a useless judgement. You might as well call every post looking for work here "spoon feeding" and "lazy" because it is effectively the same idea.
    Now if you're actually here to help, and be useful, please post an idea. But if you're here just to call it lazy. It's been heard, and you can move along.
    @Joao Sapiro  @stickadtroja @ExcessiveZero
    To the rest of you who have posted something useful, I thank you for your contribution.

• [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
  • stickadtroja
    Offline / Send Message
    @Zeldianiac maybe i overreacted but it was because yours was one of several threads that followed a pattern, which i saw in general at the same time. someone posting, expecting a lot, and not putting very much effort into the post themselves.

now, your thread wasn't the worst by far, but maybe this could been avoided if you phrased it differently;
    "inspiration thread, post concepts here!" and then putting some links of your own in the OP. so instead of making the thread primarily for you asking for help, and secondary to "Not only to help me, but other artists who are currently 'blocked'.", it would serve a general purpose, useful to all.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    with this thread you are basically saying that you think that your time is more valuable than others so let them do the ( basic ) research for you. If you dont consider that this is pointed out to you as usefull then you are in for a rude awakening.
  • ExcessiveZero
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    To everyone calling this a "lazy thread"
    I honestly haven't heard of Artisian, haven't liked what I've seen on Deviantart, and don't know where to look on pintrest. I created this as sort of a "what do you model when you don't know what to make" thread. It's a for fun thing, or to hone one's personal skill. I was asking because people here seem to be of a professional mindset. Which this doesn't seem to be the case (as if it were, you wouldn't publicly insult one uninformed as I, and would have left the issue after Spoon simply put it). So to all of you who have called this a "lazy post" or "spoon feeding" it's been said before, and it's a useless judgement. You might as well call every post looking for work here "spoon feeding" and "lazy" because it is effectively the same idea.
    Now if you're actually here to help, and be useful, please post an idea. But if you're here just to call it lazy. It's been heard, and you can move along.
    @Joao Sapiro  @stickadtroja @ExcessiveZero
    To the rest of you who have posted something useful, I thank you for your contribution.

Hey no need to get moody, while echoing Joao sapiro  or "Joao Sapiro" as the tragically overly dramatic call him I gave you a solid suggestion of penis tanks.

http://polycount.com/discussion/61374/jm-vs-kp-battle-of-the-bulge/p4

• Zeldianiac
    @ExcessiveZero @stickadtroja
    To you two I apologize. Stickadtroja I understand your recommendation, but unfortunately cannot do anything about it to my knowledge.

@Joao Sapiro
    "with this thread you are basically saying that you think that your time is more valuable than others so let them do the ( basic ) research for you"
    This was not at all the case. This was merely asking for suggestions, nothing more than asking a friend "hey what should I draw?" other than the fact that it was to a more broad audience. I spent much of my own time searching for anything, but I could not find much. If you took the time to read the rest of my post, you would realize that this isn't just for me, but also any other artists who are currently "blocked". This is a help forum for more than just myself, and as such is for more than just my benefit.

• [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
  • Pedro Amorim
    The cool thing with 3d is that you get to model whatever you want.......

How the hell are these people supposed to know what you like?

You look like those ppl that get asked, where they wanna go eat, and you say, "whatever", and then get upset when people end up going to a place they don't like..
    Well, maybe you should have pitched in!

Maybe you should think what you like, and then if it's spaceships, find pictures of spaceships.
    If it's guns, find a gun to model. 

Really, this thread is stupid because of this.. People here are not psychics.....
  • odd_enough
    Offline / Send Message
    odd_enough polycounter lvl 9
    "Ideas for some 3D art" is a VERY broad subject. What kind of ideas are you looking for? Characters? Environments? Props? Organic or hard surface? This thread would be FAR more useful if it was filtered down to a specific archetype. Otherwise, depending on what you need inspiration for, you could be skimming through loads of pictures that have no relevance to you.

Try narrowing down your google searches, or sift through the concept art on Artstation by category. Also, don't overlook unconventional sites when looking for ideas. I often browse Ikea and directindustry.com when I need inspiration.