Home Career & Education

Should i buy domain for my portfolio?

levsingh
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
levsingh polycounter lvl 2
Hello guys, i am finishing my final year at university and soon i will start applying for internships as a 3d artist or environment artist. i made myself a portfolio and a demo reel on wix.com but as a student the plans are quite expensive. so just want to ask you experienced guys is it fine to apply for internship with a portfolio with little ad banner and a free domain given by wix?

Replies

• Chimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    Doesn't matter too much, so long as the work is front and center :)

Domains go pretty cheap these days though, you can get a year's .com for the price of 4 cups of coffee.
  • f1ey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    f1ey polycounter lvl 7
    no, personal domain's outdate like age ago, social networking its future just use artstation, facebook, linkedin, gmail its will be look more proffessional
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what he said ^

Make an Artstation page.  The last several artists we hired here just used Artstation for their portfolio and its totally fine.
  • Tomiajayi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tomiajayi polycounter lvl 2
    i'm sure they're right but I do so love having a personal website to send people to. :)
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    You can always get a domain and link it with your artstation portfolio with artstation pro
  • Biomag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    I was told Artstation is enough and I was told get yourself a domain of your own. Both advices coming from high end art directors. The reason for the domain would be to establish your own 'brand' and not have people click on the next guy that shows up just because artstation is so convinient.

Sticking with artstation is a saver bet to prevent you from overdoing things, having other technical issues,...blah...

Best advice - be everywhere, have everything and keep it clean. It really depends on who sees it. Some prefer the one thing, some the other. But also none of this matters if your art is not top of the line.
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    We get a lot of applications that link to horrible websites :)
    If they include an artstation link as well, it's simply easier and almost always better to click that, rather than their personal website with weird navigation etc.

So, I will echo. 
    Artstation will suffice :)