Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Alleyway Crime Scene [UE4]

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
jwills polycounter lvl 8
Hey guys!

I'm starting my new environment project based on an Alleyway Crime scene, showcased through UE4 and using a bunch of reference images and some concept art below to drive the direction.

There's a few things I'm really trying to focus on throughout this project:
1. Scene composition.
2. Telling the story of the scene/game through lighting and assets.
3. Use Substance designer to help me get to grips with the software.
4. Not over doing my textures. My main feedback from previous projects was pushing my texturing too far resulting in messy and noisy normal maps.

I've done a bit of work so far over the last couple of days such as block out and starting to work on a few wall sections. Im pretty new to Substance Designer so if anyone has any Crit's at all about any of my work please comment it and I'll try my best to push the scene further and fix issues :)

Maya Blockout:
UE4 Progress:

Substance Mats:
Tarmac:

Brick:

Replies

• snakos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snakos polycounter lvl 8
    The dramatic side of a crime scene is indeed a good choice for lighting practice. Do your best on it !

For the materials, i think it is a good start. The brick wall is really good, the shape of the bricks and colors are very nice. As it is a dramatic scene it will probably be better to have more dirt on the tarmac and also on the cement part of the brick wall.
    Maybe it is not the kind of wall you want but i found this ref:
    http://bgfons.com/upload/brick_texture3334.jpg

• FreneticPonies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FreneticPonies polycounter lvl 3
    Brick looks awesome! Keep going, looking forward to more.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your curbs seem a little too high.  Also, not sure whats going on in the back, why does the curb curve around a doorway, then just kinda end in the back. 

Maybe just have your alley go straight through, and have the building in the back be across the street?  An dead end alley like this typically wont have vehicles going through it, would be more of a pedestrian spot.  You have vehicle doors and dumpsters, but no believable way for a vehicle to get through there.

On the right, is that a storefront?  Why would there be a store front facing an alley.  The facade would face customers street side.
  • jwills
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jwills polycounter lvl 8
    @Snakos Thanks for the feedback on the bricks, I thought the grout was looking too clean as well so I have gone back into designer and dirtied it up a bit more but im planning on adding some vertex painting later on and will add a lot more grunge and leaks as well as some graffiti decals which will all help place them and help hide some of the repetition :)

@FreneticPonies Thanks dude!  :#

@gsokol Thank you for the feedback as always bud :) You're completely right with the pavement height! They can vary between 10 - 20 cm and mine were at 20 so I've brought them down to 15 which I definitely think looks better, thanks!
    The Maya blockout does have a dead end which when I brought into UE, I also thought looks weird so the UE scene has the path turn a corner which hopefully this fixes that issue but im still not completely final on the layout so I may end up moving buildings and making it a dead end alleyway :) and the shop front on the right was based of a reference photo I found on google (below) and is designed to be a closed down / deserted shop with boarded up windows and shutters :)

Progress ! Brought my tarmac mat in and I've been playing with some roughness vertex painting.. still needs a lot more dirt and pot holes but its looking okay:) Also some more progress on my windows and doors but plenty more to do. Noticing a lot of repetition from my brick texture which will be less obvious once I start vertext painting, decal-ing and placing assets but if anyone has any suggestions on how I can vary my textures let me know, im open to suggestions :)

• gametime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gametime polycounter lvl 8
    materials and lightning look promising!

• chrisevansart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisevansart polycounter lvl 9
    Oh yeah, boiii. Smells criminal. Looking good man!
  • jwills
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jwills polycounter lvl 8
    @gametime @chrisevansart Thank you guys!!

Progress - moving my way through the environment assets and materials. I felt like there was too much of the same brick texture going on so I created a cinder block texture to help break up the buildings. Pretty happy with it so far and I'll be able to push my wall textures further with some vertex painting down the line. 
    Also played around with a graffiti decal just to test how they'll look... looking forward to throwing a load of these on once I've created all my assets :)

As always let me know what you guys think and any crit is always appreciated!

• jwills
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jwills polycounter lvl 8
    Some more progress from this week!
    Got through some more wall pieces such as shutters, closed down shops and went back to fix reflection/normal issues in other sections. Added a some more vextex painting to the walls.
    Nearly finished with the modular environment sections, bar a few roof and wall trims, then I can crack on with dressing the scene with props and doing an initial lighting pass.

• kohg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kohg polycounter lvl 9
    What version of UE4 you're using? Recently i've been having problems applying decals since i'm forced to use the blend mode as translucent, which makes the decal color barely noticeable.
  • jwills
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jwills polycounter lvl 8
    @kohg So with decals they need direct light to be seen, GI light doesnt work unless you switch it to the DBuffer decal mode and change a few of your project settings. This video explains it all and shows you how to fix it. But as a warning, turning on dbuffer can have performance problems depending on how memory heavy your project is.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1WKQMRguY

• chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    I think the main problem here is scale, I think you have to slow down a little bit and make sure the scale is right. The doors are a bit too wide but also in most cases the first floor of NYC buildings are taller than the second, third and fourth floor.  If your floors are the same height it quickly starts looking like warehouses or old factory buildings.

Even in this alley here, you can see the building resting on a base that raises the first floor allowing windows to see down into the basement. It gives the perceived impression that the first floor is taller than the other floors but it helps building it like that too. Making your buildings have a concrete base as well allows you to build them on slight slants :)

But good work so far man ! looking forward to seeing more :)

• jwills
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jwills polycounter lvl 8
    @chrisradsby Thanks for the feedback Chris! I completely missed the door scale, they were way too big! I've resized them down to the average door width and height scale, thank you for the spot :) I agree with you, the the street scale doesnt quite feel as if its towering over you. I've tried pulling the buildings in which hopefully makes the scene feel a little tighter.

I like your idea with an extra meter or so sections underneath the buildings. I've added some to see how it would look, but did you mean to have all the buildings raised up or just a couple to help add variation?

• jwills
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jwills polycounter lvl 8
    Progress! Been a busy week at work so it hasn't progressed as much as I would like but got the last couple of environment props done as well as an initial lighting pass. I'd usually leave lighting until the end but I wanted to start to get the feel of the scene started before I placed my props and was a good chance to bring in a few light sources. There will be a better light pass done after the props and effects.

Hopefully you guys like the new lighting, for some reason there's a lot of compression on the images after uploading! As always, any suggestions or crits are welcome.
  • jwills
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jwills polycounter lvl 8
    Small Update!
    Added a few more props and played around with lighting a little. Still been pretty busy I've only been able to get a few props done but slowly getting there. I've also added a 'Work in Progress' post to my artstation since in about halfway through and thought its a good time to get it thrown up there. So you can see some more images of props and substances there :)
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/gK94m

As always any critiques are welcome! On to the crime scene itself :)

• FreneticPonies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FreneticPonies polycounter lvl 3
    Solid but too dark, I always want to make things "appropriately dark" as well. And with HDR (HDR Tv HDR) you can! At least compared to the brightness of artificial lights. But for SDR (eg screenshots/most anything else today) you need to brighten things up unrealistically through exposure settings/GI gain/etc. to make stuff visible.

EG, (make the "darkness" a somewhat desaturated blue to give the impression of mescopic vision, and thus the idea that's it's really darker than it is)

• Kiyamlol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kiyamlol polycounter lvl 12
    Too dark and too saturated ^^

Maybe some night time photos of similar scene will help? :)

I think a crime scene will be lit up for investigation

for something like this its way too dark to see anything honestly.
  • jwills
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jwills polycounter lvl 8
    @FreneticPonies @Kiyamlol Thanks guys! The lighting is in need of real reworking, I've noticed the images on my screen look brighter than when I view on others (I must have a crap screen) so Im going to have a look into what I can do to improve them ,other than just trial and error on multiple different screens. Thanks for the reference images, they're a big help :)

As for the crime scene itself, it will have more lighting using some tri-pod stands like these, they'll help lift the lighting up for the scene as a whole and help create a focal point.

Will start working on the crime scene next! :)
  • Kiyamlol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kiyamlol polycounter lvl 12
    Definitely!! Some of those in the scene would definitely help make it more lit and give a crime scene investigation feel ^^

Would be cool if there is also some blood caught in the light?
  • jwills
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jwills polycounter lvl 8
    @Kiyamlol Ohh yes! blood, foot and finger prints, murder weapons. All kinds of evidence thrown everywhere :) I'll try and make sure they get a nice reflection on them.
  • jnascimento
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jnascimento polycounter lvl 4
    Very nice walls. Maybe a bit of garbage to make it believable
  • jwills
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jwills polycounter lvl 8
    Long overdue update: Apologies to everyone who's been helping me during this project, a new job has meant I've been preoccupied but I'm still making small, slow progresses on this. The main issue last time was the darkness of my scene (i think my monitors calibration is all screwed up) so I've added a bunch of lights and also increased the indirect bounces to hopefully reach more corners. Also more assets! There's still plenty to do on this project and I'll be working hard over the next few weeks to get back on track. As always any suggestions will be greatly appreciated! (especially in lighting... i suck at lighting).

@jnascimento Yeh garbage assets / set dressing is next on my priority list, thanks for the suggestion :)