Home General Discussion

Kojima's Death Stranding Studio

Replies

• JordanN
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    I'm curious how will the studio maintain a steady flow of income?

I know Kojima is famous and his name will definitely help attract investors (such as Sony helping them with Death Stranding), but considering they are now a completely independent studio and want to make games with AAA scope, that's going to be very expensive to maintain. They are also located in Japan too and the industry there has become very conservative in supporting console games instead of Mobile ones.

It makes me think of Platinum Games situation. Another independent Japanese studio who have become a "developer for hire".  Working on project to project but are at the complete mercy of Publishers who can cancel at any time (i.e Bayonetta 2 and Scalebound).

I'm not saying this to be negative (I'm actually appreciative Kojima can continue making games after what he's been through), but it sounds like a risky proposition in this day an age if you don't already have tons of money to support yourself.
  • rohMizuno
    That is a good point. We can only hope they will succeed, is always a good sign to see a studio being able survive on "its own" and still be able to produce stuff to compete with the big boys. That being said, I have the felling Sony is being of great financial help, mostly now that Kojima and his studio have all this hype towards them. I mean, is all about who has the best exclusives, right?
  • Chimp
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    They will go for part-funding on each title until the flow from sales keeps them going without help, i imagine.

i.e Get a nice chunk of cash in for limited-period exclusivity, or full exclusivity, for example.
  • mats effect
    Sounded like they intended to keep the studio small-ish in terms of staff and intended for quicker development cycles compaired to metal gear. That was the idea when they first announced anyway.
  • Blond
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    Here's a few pic from their nrewly established studio.

I think they're good lol...

• Lt_Commander
    Online / Send Message
    Lt_Commander polycounter lvl 10
    I can't wait to see these studio images again when they release 'which is real' side-by-sides for StrandingEngine 1.0  :D
  • Mstankow
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
    If they made a game like MGS 1 or 2 I don't think it would be too expensive to develop.
  • leleuxart
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    I can't wait to see these studio images again when they release 'which is real' side-by-sides for StrandingEngine 1.0  :D
    They've already done something similar with the Decima Engine, the engine they chose to use, from Guerilla. No comparison, but another recreation

• LiamWong
    Offline / Send Message
    LiamWong polycounter lvl 2
    Got to check it out in person while I was in Tokyo at the 1 year anniversary celebration. The tunnel is so cool. Took a bunch of pictures there and in Kojima's office. 
  • onionhead_o
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    studio looks very nice. Also very excited for Death stranding after seeing the latest trailer with Mads Mikkelsen.