Home Technical Talk

Is 3d Coat worth it?

VividSombre
vertex
Offline / Send Message
VividSombre vertex
In couple of weeks I will do a big project that will last for a year or more, making a game all by myself. I've been learning 3D for 5 years on and off with Blender. It's my only 3D software I ever used, and I know that there's way better softwares than this one, because Blender is basically a mix of everything but not really good at something, except maybe modeling because of his shortcuts.

I will have around $1800 and I need softwares that won't cost me too much and that will do the job, For texturing, UV mapping, retopology, animation, and modeling. What I had in mind was to buy 3d Coat and Substance Designer, I tried 3d Coat's trial and I do like it so far. When I looked on youtube for timelapses or tutorials, or simply renders on google, there's barely something, why? When I go check on forums and do research about the software what people think about it, I don't find anything. So now I'm not as confident and fear to do a mistake to buy it. The game will run on Unreal Engine 4 and I thought that Substance Designer would be a good choice to tweak my textures.

What do you guys think? 

Replies

• bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    I think some people might disagree with you about Blender, haha. Personally I love 3D Coat but I use it exclusively for projection texture painting. And if you have animation needs, I do not believe the program can do that (I could be wrong). It's not a very widely used program so any technical snags you run into might wind up taking more time to solve than other 3D apps.

For that budget, you might look into either an Indie version of Modo or Maya LT. Both are fairly affordable, and have more documentation readily available.
  • VividSombre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VividSombre vertex
    Not saying that Blender is total crap, I do really love it a lot, but there's things that needs more work. Like sculpting I have 16 GB of RAM and just for a few hours working on my mesh it slows down because of too much tris when to me is not that much when I look on my screen. Texturing there's not a lot of tools to use and had so many problems with it. UV mapping it seemed to work great, baking textures is a pain, modeling is awesome and it's my favorite thing about Blender, the 3d manipulator can be hard though when using things like screw or bend modifiers and playing with the location, rotation, scale. For animations I heard that animators love to use it and I did thought to use it too. Rendering it does a good job with cycles, I had some issues with performance when I would use a mirror shading but I can't tell if it's supposed to be like this because it's pretty much the only render engine I ever used, never used like Maya, 3ds max or whatever is popular nowdays.

Modo I would like to give it a try , but for Maya, eh I tried and I'm used to shortcuts because of Blender and to me it slows me down a lot to select things with a mouse. I didn't know there was a indie version for Modo, just hope that I can still make some money to sell my game after that. Thanks a lot for your suggestion!
  • Chimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    Dont forget you can't draw willies or satan with 3dcoat! But he can't enforce it either so long as you don't put 3Dcoat's name anywhere near your work :)

3D coat for me is a secondary tool, ive tended to go to it for the odd thing here and there like retopology. There's barely any information/videos/etc because it isn't (that) widely adopted by professionals like Max and Maya are.

All of them have their faults. Personally I'm a Max user and can tell you about how its straining under the weight of it's legacy stuff whilst receiving minimal love from Autodesk - usually in the form of stuff that went to Maya first. I'd probably suggest Maya as it's widely adopted and you therefore get the benefit of immediately being prepared for jobs if you learn it. There's also the most freely available support and information (although that applies to max too, theyre about on par)

Modo is interesting but it's got a smaller user base, so less information out there. Go with Max or Maya, and get both the substance apps, instead of the designer/3dcoat mix you suggest.

It's not to say that alternatives don't cut it, but the path of least resistance is most important for most, and with the wealth of info out there on these because they're used by the most people, you have the most chance of solving anything. Also millions of plugins, and direct support in engines. I like the little guys though, of course, its where the innovation and fun happens. but when you're on a budget and you want to work professionally, dont get something with a lot of barriers to work.

• fdfxd2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator
    Chimp said:
    Dont forget you can't draw willies or satan with 3dcoat! But he can't enforce it either so long as you don't put 3Dcoat's name anywhere near your work :)

source?

This looks like something I'd here more about
  • Chimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    It was a big thing years back. I hesitate to derail this thread in that direction because the discussion on it ended years ago and the more interesting stuff has been removed from the net.

In the interest of history though, here's my anecdotal summary: In short, it was a case of somebody leaking their personal life out into work. It started with a religiously-worded section of the EULA that prohibited any nudity or anything that could be considered lewd, progressed to him refusing sale of the software to people on the grounds that their art was a demonstration of their corrupt souls etc. The end of it was a life-story he wrote about his corrupt beginnings and how he found god and left it behind.

If you want to look it up though, Google for '3D Coat EULA'.  As i say, most of the interesting stuff has been removed from his site. Nobody cared that much until he started contacting artists publicly and privately and telling them to cease and desist (with a lot of religious damnation language, calling other professionals corrupted, calling their work disgusting etc etc), as well as refusing purchases of the software on the those grounds. You can probably find peoples' reactions, closed threads etc.

As you can imagine it spiralled into discussions about religion, sexuality etc. In summary though it was just someone who forgot the personal/professional boundary. The worry was that he could come after your game and sue because you used his software in violation of the EULA just because you had a nipple bump under a shirt or something (or an overt, giant cock lol) - and his attitude indicated he would come after you.

I remember one that was just a crocadile-man with big muscles, there was no genitalia and the context wasn't at all sexual, but he attacked it nonetheless.

A lot of it happened on their forums though, where they had the ability to brush it away after consulting lawyers and iterating on the clause in question to make it a bit less vague and religious.

Don't really want to turn this thread into a discussion on it though, I regret the cheeky stab i made in my post :P
  • VividSombre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VividSombre vertex
    What? Seriously!? I give up, freedom is important to me and no one should tell me what to do, It's freaking art... Sorry never thought that could be a thing, thank you so much for the warning. Btw look in their website, it hurts just reading it... company/ourvoice

• gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    3d coat has a number of advantages over Substance Painter

1. you can paint with different brush dabs/pictures  alternating randomly , kind of "image Hose"  of Corel Painter
    2.  you can always work in final resolution up to 16384  and  see what you actually paint 
    4. you have better control over edge detection , edge rust distribution etc  with easier and much simpler  adjusting   while in SP you have to go through gazillion settings and still it looks unpredictably, especially once you switch to higher resolution.
    5. better projective painting , but  Photoshop does it  even better than 3d coat  imo , in some respect. 

Substance Painter has a huge advantage of being resolution independent  and has better and logical layer structure that allows to replace materials  and masks very quickly. 

I personally use 3dCoat when I have to do something  unique and visually critical in  true realistic style     and use Substance Painter when I need to do quickly  a lot of not so important props. 

So in short if you prefer to work more as a traditional artist in hi-res file to be then downscaled to final resolution , go 3d coat.     If you want to work quicker in a kind of automated way  in  low res and then upscale the file to final resolution, go SP .   Sometimes it's totally ok, sometimes the procedural  system would  screw and give you something unexpected.   Imo everything done in SP is pretty much recognizable by having a kind of "robotic"  and "procedural" artificial look.  

Hope someday somebody would collect all the best features from Coat, SP and Mari  and do a truly convenient soft .   Would not be surprised if it will be Blender since it have very nice painting system too that could be interactively combined with Cycles procedural nodes and super cool  realtime Pointiness edge detection.   It misses just a few things actually.  
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    bounchfx said:
    I think some people might disagree with you about Blender, haha. Personally I love 3D Coat but I use it exclusively for projection texture painting. And if you have animation needs, I do not believe the program can do that (I could be wrong). It's not a very widely used program so any technical snags you run into might wind up taking more time to solve than other 3D apps.

For that budget, you might look into either an Indie version of Modo or Maya LT. Both are fairly affordable, and have more documentation readily available.
    In regards to support, Modo definitely would not be any better. Despite loving the software, I literally had to stop using it and replace it, because I hit a showstopping error that I couldn't even get a response on anywhere, let alone a solution. The community is practically non-existent.
  • Chimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    gnoop said:
    3d coat has a number of advantages over Substance Painter

1. you can paint with different brush dabs/pictures  alternating randomly , kind of "image Hose"  of Corel Painter
    2.  you can always work in final resolution up to 16384  and  see what you actually paint 
    4. you have better control over edge detection , edge rust distribution etc  with easier and much simpler  adjusting   while in SP you have to go through gazillion settings and still it looks unpredictably, especially once you switch to higher resolution.
    5. better projective painting , but  Photoshop does it  even better than 3d coat  imo , in some respect. 

Substance Painter has a huge advantage of being resolution independent  and has better and logical layer structure that allows to replace materials  and masks very quickly. 

I personally use 3dCoat when I have to do something  unique and visually critical in  true realistic style     and use Substance Painter when I need to do quickly  a lot of not so important props. 

Regarding your 5 points: I'm not sure a brush constitutes a good primary reason to choose between programs. The resolution stuff is nice, I cant fault it although when working at those resolutions people tend to go to UDIM, which substance supports. Not sure what you mean regarding edge detection, seems fine to me - there's about 6 different methods you can use (and unlimited more considering you can build your own, as people have done and published to the Share) and as for projection painting, yeah I suppose - I don't use that much.

As for realism, I'll point at Rolegio Olguin, Josh Lynch and a list of AAA productions as long as my arm. There is a reason that most big studios have adopted it. Not sure what you mean about unreliability either, they're pretty reliable so far as I can see?

Not sure why you've picked just painter to compare though, he was thinking about Designer+3Dcoat, and I suggested the combination of Designer+Painter. The cohesion of the two allego packages > the mix of 3dcoat and painter.

I think you've missed the main benefit of the substance pair though which is that they constitute an entirely non-destructive, non-linear workflow that is production-tested and heavily supported which is a godsend to people doing pro work on big projects. If a change needs to be made, you don't need to re-author. You just update the graph and re-export. Not to mention that any parameters can be exposed in-engine.

That, and the fact their support is unparalleled - I can talk directly to their team at almost any time of day and get a response straight away - they've added things to the program at the request of users non stop over the lat year and continued to stay up to date with what the industry needs in terms of tools and technologies.

There are libraries of graphs available to use, people are constantly making guides, tutorials etc and in general the wealth of materials and resources available is night and day. The same cant be said for 3DCoat as the OP confirms.

So far as I can tell, the procedural material capabilities are miles apart. 3D Coat essentially offers what painter offers - some generators, some mask systems etc, but if you bring designer into the discussion it is blown away completely and utterly - and I'm suggesting that one buys both, not just painter.

Every program has its advantages and disadvantages, 3D coat is a fine package but I think both substance packages together blow it out of the water, and choosing them over it for _texturing_ is a no-brainer for sure. Compare the work out there from 3D coat users, and from Substance users.

I do suggest getting 3D coat for what it excels at i.e retopo, we all need varied tools in our toolboxes, but for a first purchase of primary software specifically for texturing - I say go with the business that has made texturing its only goal - not the one who has texturing as one peripheral feature of many. 
  • fdfxd2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fdfxd2 interpolator
    @VividSombre
    I read the "our voice" page

I respect a man who actually practices his religion more than the people merely preaching it on Sundays/Fridays or a certain month then proceeding to violate it behind everyone's back

I recognize that a business has a right to sell / not sell to anyone for any reason.

So I guess since we are making video games here, most of them are violent, some of them REALLY violent.
    Our values clearly don't mesh very well with his
    The most respectful thing to do is to not buy them

Substance Painter 2 and Zbrush 4r7 are better anyway.

At least until he learns that you have to separate business from personal life.

@Chimp
    Well.. 
    too late ;)
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    I don't use 3d coat as a main program, but it is a great software for retopology and texture painting (if you are into that kind of stuff)
    I haven't used all the new fancy pbr stuff in 3d coat, tbh I am not that interested in it but it seems decent enough. If you are into hand painted stuff (like I am) its pretty great and I enjoy the projection options it offers etc.
    I know some artist also love the sculpting inside of it, how easy it is when working with boolean from what I've heard.
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    Chimp said:

Every program has its advantages and disadvantages,

It's basically what I tried to list.     Both Painter and Designer have its merits for pipeline  mass graphics production.  No question.     But for ultimate realism I prefer tools  where I could easily work with photoscanned  hi-res sources , not procedural ones.    Imo both Substance programs are not very good for that.        Overcomplicated ,puzzling and slow  for things that should be simple and easy like 2x2.        
         Substance Designer recently added  Hight Blend  node , a thing I asked  and needed many years ago, and still it's pretty inconvenient  and slow with bitmaps,  comparing to our own game shader that does it with 5  layers and a speed of light.    Still no  node bypass command I asked years ago too.      In fact they implemented  almost nothing from what I asked through many years.
       We  have not a single square shaped environment texture and Designer is a puzzle to work with  4x1 or even 2x1 form factor.    
       To be honest I don't understand why people so excited of that procedural texture approach.   Imo it's wrong in many cases. It's often a waste of time and a kind of sport.  Why should I do procedural bricks or wooden floor for example   while it never be same good as the scanned ones.  You would instantly recognize the true one if put next to each other, whatever good the procedural one may be.
  • VividSombre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VividSombre vertex
    @fdfxd2

Yeah sorry about that, I over exaggerated, it was late and I was tired. But you have to admit it is weird when you see this. You buy a tool, but you can't do everything with it because of team's belief. It's like I would buy a mature game, but I can't kill anything in the game, if I do, then I will be punished and lose my game (license). When you make a software you know that people could use it to do fan arts of Game Of Thrones or God of War, and things like that. If they did share their view but not limit us, that would had been fine.

• VividSombre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VividSombre vertex
    @Tits

I still have things to check, Retopo I was thinking for topogun or Blender, texturing part is a hard one, I will try 3d Coat and Substance Painter and see which one I like best. The modeling in Blender is pretty solid, I almost have everything I need. Do you have something you would recommend me? Like softwares you use daily and good to have at all time.
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    @VividSombre I personally use topogun for topology but 3d coat is also pretty great, the only plus side to 3d coat is that at least the software is still being improved and updated, while topogun is no longer being updated and so it is harder to get help with licenses or bugs if ever they arise.
    I can't say if 3d coat is better or worst than substance painter since i've yet to really try the later, I believe I would use them for different reason tho.
    I mostly use 3d coat for painting more painterly-looking things and albedo, I would use painter for working on stuff a bit more realistic, to work with metal and roughness etc.
    I don't personally use blender but its a good package, especially since you can use it for free, unlike the others.
    I use Zbrush a whole lot so I would recommend that but it really depends if you do a lot of sculpting in your work, which I don't know. But it's a great software to know.
    Otherwise I would also recommend marmoset toolbag 3 if you want to do quick and easy presentation that look kickass, can't beat that but I think you said to be using UE4 which really make sens too. The new toolbag 3 has awesome news features tho, since as baking so that makes it even more interesting for the price.
    Otherwise I would also recommend Knald if you are looking for a baker. The price is pretty decent, the bakes are super easy to setup, super quick and saved me tons of time compared to Xnormal.

Goodluck :)
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    This is probably going to be a rather unpopular answer but I actually think Maya's new retopo tools are great. Not at the same level of Topogun (my favorite) or 3D Coat, but definitely good enough to replace either and I've even used a hybrid of Topogun/Maya simply because I dont need to leave maya to retopo all the time (Quad Draw tool). Topogun is amazing though, my favorite.

@Tits, I thought there was a Topogun 3 coming? I know they've said it for years but... has it been officially canceled now? If so - :(
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    @bounchfx Hm, good question. I just never heard anything much from them since 2012 and even getting ahold of them when I had issue with my licenses was harder than it should. I just figured that they had stopped the topogun project all together. I am now curious and shall poke them on twitter,
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    Yeah, considering they've been dead silent for 5 years now, I wouldn't have much faith in them even if they did release a new version of Topogun.
  • VividSombre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VividSombre vertex
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    gnoop said:
      Imo everything done in SP is pretty much recognizable by having a kind of "robotic"  and "procedural" artificial look.  
    No no no.

Substance Painter is a fairly new program and I find that a lot of people are not taking advantage of interesting new workflows that can open up when working with a mix of custom .sbsars and textures brought in from outside of the program.

Most of the procedural look comes when people use MG Metal Edge Wear, MG Dirt, Grunge Scratches Rough, and Clouds 01 on all of their materials regardless if it's actually an appropriate wear for the surface. 
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    beefaroni said:
    gnoop said:
      Imo everything done in SP is pretty much recognizable by having a kind of "robotic"  and "procedural" artificial look.  
    No no no.

Substance Painter is a fairly new program and I find that a lot of people are not taking advantage of interesting new workflows that can open up when working with a mix of custom .sbsars and textures brought in from outside of the program.

Most of the procedural look comes when people use MG Metal Edge Wear, MG Dirt, Grunge Scratches Rough, and Clouds 01 on all of their materials regardless if it's actually an appropriate wear for the surface. 
     It's ok when you are working in low res on a small sized prop, but once you go up to final resolution and  your object is big enough (architecture),  it instantly reveals the repetitive and artificial nature.    When you try to bring your own hi-res textures as  patterns, it hangs.

I would gladly use SP with my own textures and work style with a kind of procedural icing over my own work  if it has all the very simple conveniences of a regular painting program.  A convenient  projective mode at least.    Contrary to what they say  SP forces you to work within  certain paradigm only.  

Imo   Algorithmic should look very closely to other Painter, a Corel one. 
    Not alternating, single  square brush alpha is such a damn heresy .  Even Zbrush have "Roll" brushes with long  alphas.    But try Corel Painter  pattern brushes to see where the beauty is.   BTW it also one of the advantages of 3d coat.  it has long alphas  too.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Hm I was only arguing your your point that..
    "Imo everything done in SP is pretty much recognizable by having a kind of "robotic"  and "procedural" artificial look."

I do agree that the painting could be improved and that they should closely look at other competitors.

Anyways, to get back on point. I think a good freelance software layout would be..

Blender - I have not actually used it though.. Can someone weigh in on if you can actually export good animations for in-engine out of it?
    Zbrush - Lots of resources/tutorials online for sculpting ($800 now?)
    Substance Designer + Painter - For texturing ($300)
    Photoshop - Probably will need to use it at some point ($60 a year?)

Should come out to about $1200. If you can swing the extra cash down the road, maybe going from Blender to Modo since it is a bit more established.

• happybell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So far I haven't had any issues using 3D coat, religion or not. It's nice for handpainting, quick unwrapping and retopo from my experience. Remember 3D coat also has sculpting functions, which can negate purchasing Zbrush. However Zbrush > 3D coat for sculpting. If your game uses PBR you may want to take Substance instead. They also have a rather nice baker integrated.

TLDR: If you are concerned with saving money then pick 3D-coat, it's quite a jack of all trades. If you want the best out of every aspect then pick the individual softwares highlighted by others. Also take note of the times when the developers give discounts, they pop up every year like cyber monday etc. I got the substance pack for half price which was totally worth it.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I currently use 3D Coat for it's unwrapping tools, and using it as an alternative to the boolean-dynamesh workflow. I have used the autotopo a bit in the past. Not a fan of the manual retopo tools. It's a nice cheap jack of all trades application that has some nice uses. 
  • VividSombre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VividSombre vertex
    My game will have good graphics so yes I will do try to make it for pbr. I think Substance would be better but it's not because 3d Coat's belief, it's just that I pretty have everything anyway with Blender, and I heard that having two together painter and designer it's really awesome. But thanks a lot everyone for all your answers!
  • MmAaXx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MmAaXx polycounter lvl 10
    stay with Blender, buy allegorithmic and zBrush. All that you need to deliver something. cheers.
  • VividSombre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VividSombre vertex
    @MmAaXx
    Alright thanks a lot! That's what I will do.
  • Carlosan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Carlosan polycounter lvl 10
    Blender + 3DCoat would be your best option.