Home General Discussion

Fat distribution and deposit in human body

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Blond polycounter lvl 9
Well today, as I was drawing and studying a lil bit my anatomy, after practicing the usual bones, muscles and silhouette stuff, I decided it was time for me to tackle on figures with chubbier and curvy features.

After a few minutes of research, I quickly realized there wasn't much reference or tips about overweight or fat character. I mean, real reference, not the usual archetype fat character. Most of the anatomy stuff you find online is always shown with fit and muscular bodies which are used to define the bones and muscles.

Only thing I've found was this page here:
http://68.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5r9pkjfYE1qeluhr.png

http://creamatorie.tumblr.com/post/82100731870/do-you-have-any-tips-on-drawing-men-vs-women-and

And honestly it's not much is it? I wondered if any of you had any knowledge about how to acurately draw fat and sagging features in a character.

Replies

• Chimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    Probably not what you want to hear, but: life drawing. and if possible, grabbing n manipulating the fat of people you know well enough to let you molest them. No better reference than life. I'd share online resources if i knew them, but I mostly just use IRL resources. I found animating fat people really taught me the most, because I had to start to transform, jiggle and generally deal with these forms in motion, giving me a proper sense of their _weight_ in terms of how they move and therefore how they sit at resting.

Edit: second result on google for 'drawing fat people'
    http://keepursulafat.tumblr.com/post/89031181018/i-have-a-fat-character-i-want-to-draw-but-she-ends

• JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    I actually turn to medical references/papers to this. It may sound over the top, but I like hearing scientific explanations how the human body works.

Although I might not be alone. When Disney was animating Tarzan, they consulted with physicians to oversea development of what his muscles should look like.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    my fat distribution seems to center around my belly, must start eating low calorie pies.
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    Chimp said:
    Probably not what you want to hear, but: life drawing. 

Ha! So true. Every male life drawing model I've ever had, Dad bods. I'm glad the female models were different sizes and ages.
  • Blond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    Chimp said:
    Probably not what you want to hear, but: life drawing. and if possible, grabbing n manipulating the fat of people you know well enough to let you molest them. No better reference than life. I'd share online resources if i knew them, but I mostly just use IRL resources. I found animating fat people really taught me the most, because I had to start to transform, jiggle and generally deal with these forms in motion, giving me a proper sense of their _weight_ in terms of how they move and therefore how they sit at resting.

Edit: second result on google for 'drawing fat people'
    http://keepursulafat.tumblr.com/post/89031181018/i-have-a-fat-character-i-want-to-draw-but-she-ends

Exaclty what I was looking for. Thanks for the link...

By the way, to stay on topic, I definitely think the  game industry needs to add more proper fat character in their stories.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Blond said:
    By the way, to stay on topic, I definitely think the  game industry needs to add more proper fat character in their stories.
    I cannot think of the last game that had a fat main character, especially if you are not counting games with "tank" roles.

Witcher 2 and 3 might be the only games I can think of with good npc body type variety and it handles weight realistically, even with the background characters. 
  • kanga
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanga quad damage
    ZacD said:
    I cannot think of the last game that had a fat main character, especially if you are not counting games with "tank" roles.

Witcher 2 and 3 might be the only games I can think of with good npc body type variety and it handles weight realistically, even with the background characters. 
    GTA had C.J. (you) vary the weight of your character, and some missions required you to be morbidly obese. It was also kind of fun feeding yourself up then training all the weight off. A google search for 'fat game characters' brings up a pretty decent bunch of em, even an overweight Lara Croft :).  If I Look for overweight anatomy reference on the web there seems to be quite a bit to choose from.
  • Melazee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Melazee polycounter lvl 11
    I remember certain areas in Fable you could only access by making your character overweight :P And there is that Fat Princess game too. But yeah, there aren't enough really.