Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monthly Environment Art Challenge - January & February 2017 (46)

Replies

• hannes d
    Offline / Send Message
    hannes d polycounter lvl 12
  • DrFacemelt
    Offline / Send Message
    DrFacemelt polycounter lvl 8
    Hey guys! Lots of awesome stuff in here. This is my progress so far I'm doing the Sam Brown Sci-Fi room - getting ready to do high poly's next.

This is my first time building a scene for ue4. Having fun so far :)

• zhixson
    Offline / Send Message
    zhixson polycounter lvl 8
    Hi! There is some fantastic work in here and I can't wait to see where it goes.
    Also, I thought I'd go from serial lurker to timid participant and give this a shot. Here is my blockout progress of the spooky well. 

Figured this was as good a time as any to start learning some new software as well, so I'm gonna attempt to do the detail sculpting with 3D Coat. 

Keep up the awesome work everyone!
  • JoBritt
    Offline / Send Message
    JoBritt polycounter lvl 4
    what is everyone's workflow for the sci-fi scene?
  • hannes d
    Offline / Send Message
    just start on it jobritt, after creating several environments you will find a way that suits you. everyone is different
    have a look at all the posts so far and you ll get a glimpse in peoples head
  • hannes d
    Offline / Send Message
    hey guys

questions about the lightmap in U4
    i have uv channel 1 and uv channel 2 and it seems udk was using uv channel 1 for the lighting
    i always thought it used channel 2 ?

• hannes d
    Offline / Send Message
    more progress this evening 

• cfey
    Offline / Send Message
    cfey triangle
    Hi there,

new to the polycount-community. I'm currently working on my portfolio and this challenge came across with the artwork of sam brown. so i decided to take part :)

here are the steps i made until today - had the same issues with the perspective like 'hannes d', have chosen to use the vanishing point more in the center.
    some thoughts for texturing, materials and workflow
    blockout

i'm currently working on the highpoly parts, next post will be the scene more detailed.

best regards :)
  • cfey
    Offline / Send Message
    cfey triangle
    hannes d said:
    more progress this evening 

in my opinion, you could check for the proportions. i think the room may be a bit longer, so that the door and the bed have more space... but maybe that's just the different perspective.
  • Tzur_H
    Offline / Send Message
    Tzur_H polycounter lvl 9
    I've finished the grenade.  I might start on the sci-fi enviro next.. :]

keep up the amazing work everybody!

• Reil
    Offline / Send Message
    Reil polycounter lvl 8
    Here's my take on the prop. Decided to stay as close as possible to the concept :) I'll probably start doing the scene next ! 

• SergeyA
    Offline / Send Message
    SergeyA polycounter lvl 6
    It's been some time and I'd like to share my progress so far. After a few iterations my well looks like this in Unity.

• Qurka
    Offline / Send Message
    Qurka null
    Hallo guys im new to the polycount forums :smiley:
    First time doing a challange like this.
    I have started with the Sci-Fi grande working on the blockout
  • Piemaster
    Offline / Send Message
    Piemaster greentooth
    mrey4957 said:
    Calling an end on this project. I redid the work I lost and happy how it came out a second time around. I think i strayed from the concept a little with more damage added and wanted to see what it would look like with a dust layer, but I also think i matched the different types of damage to different parts of the model better this time around.

model
    And as I mentioned in my first post, I wanted to have a go at some alternative skins for the model. The original concept was quite sci-fi in feeling, so I went the the tried and tested hexagons and digital camo patterns. I'm happy with the results and pleased with the new details that I added to the concept.

Comments welcome and appreciated.
    Well done, these look great. :)
    What is the poly count on these bad boys?
  • jonnavidson
    Offline / Send Message
    jonnavidson vertex

Took around 2 weeks, my first model.

• X-One
    Offline / Send Message
    X-One polycounter lvl 18
    Sculpt+basic mats applied. I might try and add a bit more detail to the inside of the top bricks before I retopologize. I'm going to try and be fairly economical with my texture space, but the bottom dirt/grass has me a bit worried. I may break them off onto a separate 512 map, then use a more procedural detail map to put in some finer details.

• Ckingy91
    Offline / Send Message
    Ckingy91 null

I took the concept of the Grenade and had a go at modeling it in Maya, I haven't textured it yet but will look to do so soon. Any feedback would be great in how to do better. 
    Thank you :)
  • AlexPWX
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexPWX triangle
    Hello Guys, was a while that I wanted to start participating at an Art Monthly Challenge.
    Finally I managed to get some time for me.
    Here is my grenade.

Also Very Nice the concept of David Harrington, if the time let me I'll try to work on it.

• cfey
    Offline / Send Message
    cfey triangle
    Hi there,

finished highpoly (maybe some tweaking while creating the lowpoly). will add more normal-detail in substance/quixel.
    i know that the plants are missing - will add them soon :-)

best regards
  • mrey4957
    Offline / Send Message
    mrey4957 polycounter lvl 4
    Piemaster said:
    mrey4957 said:
    Calling an end on this project. I redid the work I lost and happy how it came out a second time around. I think i strayed from the concept a little with more damage added and wanted to see what it would look like with a dust layer, but I also think i matched the different types of damage to different parts of the model better this time around.

model
    And as I mentioned in my first post, I wanted to have a go at some alternative skins for the model. The original concept was quite sci-fi in feeling, so I went the the tried and tested hexagons and digital camo patterns. I'm happy with the results and pleased with the new details that I added to the concept.

Comments welcome and appreciated.
    Well done, these look great. :)
    What is the poly count on these bad boys?
    Thank you @Piemaster for the kind words. The final count was 1632 faces. I tired to optimise as much as possible on the top, so most of the faces are on the cylinder to keep a nice shape going into the detail going into the base.
  • harjm
    Offline / Send Message
    harjm polycounter lvl 4
    Hey all I have finished texturing the grenade here are my final renders any feedback will be much appreciated thanks.
    Had a great time creating this prop and getting back into modelling and texturing 
    http://youtu.be/rs4lUj3_u-A

• Tzur_H
    Offline / Send Message
    Tzur_H polycounter lvl 9
    @cfey looking good mate, did you tackle the bathroom as well?

here's my progress on the scifi enviro, just blocking things out

• Toku
    Offline / Send Message
    Toku polycounter lvl 6
    @JoBritt I am using an approach similar to star citizen/alien isolation which uses weighed vertex normals on chamfered geometry for the panels/construction of the environment which means you can build out different forms without having to worry about normal mapping them. Unique and tiling assets such as the bed, sofa and trim will have their own bakes. Also using planes for decals over surfaces to add detail.

@hannes d
    Check the static mesh settings and there should be a lighting channel option. Set it to 1 as 0=UV1 1=UV2 in UE4

@Tzur_H
    Blackout is looking solid dude but the human in proportion to the room is small. Use some visual landmarks which can be grounded in Rl reference such as the size of a double bed or the width of a sofa, then scale your scene accordingly. Although I have to admit I am guilty of the same thing, right now I have a bed which is 220cm long instead of the average 200 and my scene is wider than the concepts,  but I figure it had an overall better composition while still beinggrounded in reality. But yeah the amount of head clearance in you room right now breaks the realism somewhat 

Also this may be my overactive imagination but if you check the concept you can see that there is a ring with a rope attached to the headboard of the bed which inserts into the panel. Looks like something to fasten it to the wall in case of a decompression,  then you can see there is a grip on the bulkhead ring and a blue bar attached to the storage unit, possibly an escape route built into the environment?  
  • cfey
    Offline / Send Message
    cfey triangle
    @hannes d thx, for now i will leave it for the room itself, because the concept does not show the bathroom clearly at all. i'm not even sure how the mechanism for the door works - i think that's the design-principle turned wrong: "function follows form" - so i decide to leave it as a kind-of window/supply-thing-area whatever... would prefer to spend the extra time on the grenade, not a vague idea of the maybe-bathroom ;-)
  • babymagnum24
    Hey everyone, all the work looks great. Here's my version of the grenade, I enjoyed doing this and am looking forward to doing more challenges! 
    I plan to redo this in the future possibly adding more details and reworking the UVs and textures. 
    Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

• AlexPWX
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexPWX triangle
    Hey everyone, all the work looks great. Here's my version of the grenade, I enjoyed doing this and am looking forward to doing more challenges! 
    I plan to redo this in the future possibly adding more details and reworking the UVs and textures. 
    Any feedback is greatly appreciated!

Hello @Babymagnum24, I think you should :
    * work more on the shape making it similar to the concept

The number of polygons ( The colored lines in the image represents useless geometry ).
    Now would be good for VFX , allowing subdivisions|Smoothing;
    For Real Time, you have to optimize the mesh by inserting information only where  It requires,

otherwise every time BIlly3322 will launch this grenade he will have an fps drop.

This is an Example how to work between High Poly and Low poly
    ( Maya ) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hoZknts9Ds.
    ( 3ds Max ) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojCqLzM5P54.

-Alex.

• babymagnum24
    AlexPWX said:

* The number of polygons ( The colored lines in the image represents useless geometry ).
    For Real Time, you have to optimize the mesh by inserting information only where  It requires,
    otherwise every time BIlly3322 will launch this grenade he will have an fps drop.

-Alex.

Hi @AlexPWX, thank you for the reply and bringing up points I can work on, it is greatly appreciated.

I didn't realise I forgot to upload an image of the low poly wireframe that I baked the high detail shown onto, the shape is still slightly off but there are a lot less useless polygons. If there are any other issues you spot, then pointing them out can only help me improve.

Also thank you for the links to the videos, I'm usually switching from modeling in 3ds and baking and UV'ing in Maya so they will help greatly for future projects. 

• Decordova360
    Offline / Send Message
    Decordova360 polycounter lvl 9
    My progress so far while keeping up with professional 3D development. Will have the texturing done tonight to showoff later today or tomorrow. 

• AlexPWX
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexPWX triangle
    AlexPWX said:

* The number of polygons ( The colored lines in the image represents useless geometry ).

-Alex.

Hi @AlexPWX, thank you for the reply and bringing up points I can work on, it is greatly appreciated.

I didn't realise I forgot to upload an image of the low poly wireframe that I baked the high detail shown onto, the shape is still slightly off but there are a lot less useless polygons. If there are any other issues you spot, then pointing them out can only help me improve.

Also thank you for the links to the videos, I'm usually switching from modeling in 3ds and baking and UV'ing in Maya so they will help greatly for future projects. 

Personally I advise you not to use Maya for baking textures,  on Normals, for Hard Surface, sometimes creates defects.
    I recommend software like xNormal or Substance Designer.

However in the technical process there are no errors.
    From here onwards is a lot of practice.
    Go on ;)

- Alex.

• artygamer
    Offline / Send Message
    artygamer polycounter lvl 3
    First try at this Monthly thing, let me know how I did :smile:

model
  • Flanders
    Offline / Send Message
    Flanders null
    Hi guys 

Just thought I'd throw my low poly grenade into the mixer, Feedback would be appreciated!! 

model

• MMGiles
    Offline / Send Message
    MMGiles polycounter lvl 4
    Hey guys here's my update on the final result of my monthly challenge, hope you guys like it, first attempt of the monthly challenge and loved every minute working on it look forward to working on others. 

https://www.artstation.com/artist/martingilesart

• hannes d
    Offline / Send Message

started to model the highpoly 
    also tweaked blockout, made room deeper and wider
    still feels a bit off imo
  • Zerogun
    Offline / Send Message
    Zerogun polycounter lvl 9
    Did a slow progression in January on my free time for the HE Grenade piece. Simple hi to lo baking and then beating my head against Quixel Suite. All feedback is appreciated. 

• cfey
    Offline / Send Message
    cfey triangle
    Hi there,
    had some issues with the scale of the room and its furniture. Had to scale the couch and the table that it fits the human body.

@hannes d yeah, this thing always looks slightly off, because the concept has different vanishing points and the scale (as i mentioned) looks right, but isn't :)
    we won't get a 1:1 matching scene, but the overall look and feel should be as close as possible... 

@Zerogun @MMGiles : don't know if you both wanted to change the proportions of the grenades parts? maybe this is what you can have a look at once again. 

best regards
  • ZacD
    Online / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    It seems like the proportions on the majority of the grenades are off. The bulges on the bottom don't stick past the width of the body if you look at the silhouette. The approach that most people took was having the bulges matching up with the widest part of the base cylinder, and the rest of the base matching up with the inset part near the bottom, it might not be exactly how the concept looks from the front, but it better captures the silhouette and is a more balanced design that reads better. And a flatter body makes more sense for throwing. 

Another mistake i see often is making the most of the grenade material metallic. It's very uncommon for any metal grenade to have a metallic finish. They are mostly painted metals which you should treat as a non metal. Also making the red stripe metallic makes it look like a Christmas ordainment material.
  • Reil
    Offline / Send Message
    Reil polycounter lvl 8
    ZacD said:
    Another mistake i see often is making the most of the grenade material metallic. It's very uncommon for any metal grenade to have a metallic finish. They are mostly painted metals which you should treat as a non metal. 
    I totally overlooked that part. I looked into it and I got to understand why. Thanks a lot, I'm going to note it down for the future
  • MMGiles
    Offline / Send Message
    MMGiles polycounter lvl 4
    cfey said:
    Hi there,
    had some issues with the scale of the room and its furniture. Had to scale the couch and the table that it fits the human body.

@hannes d yeah, this thing always looks slightly off, because the concept has different vanishing points and the scale (as i mentioned) looks right, but isn't :)
    we won't get a 1:1 matching scene, but the overall look and feel should be as close as possible... 

@Zerogun @MMGiles : don't know if you both wanted to change the proportions of the grenades parts? maybe this is what you can have a look at once again. 

best regards
    @Zerogun cheers for the feedback will defo go back at some point and check it out and see what in can do to solve the issue.
  • Joebewon
    Offline / Send Message
    Joebewon polycounter lvl 12
    Lots of grenades in this thread!  Cutting it down to the wire for the monthly challenge, so I'm gonna have to call this guy done.  A little bummed I lost a good amount of details from the sculpt, but I'll have to look into that going forward.  

• Atticus
    Offline / Send Message
    Atticus polycounter lvl 9
    Here is another grenade to add to the collection! I learned a lot from looking at everyone's posts along the way so thanks everybody!

3.4k Faces
    Albedo, Normal, Metal, Roughness
    3DS Max, Xnormal, Photoshop

model

httpiimgurcomQGtxgFhjpg1

• sharsein
    Offline / Send Message
    sharsein polycounter lvl 9
    Working on the well thing. Made some changes for it to be more functional, and decided to play with adding more dangling skeletal limbs to make it a little goofier.

One thing that helped me a bit was to divide up the bottom dirt into shapes then used dynamesh to mash them together in the blockout stage. Wasted a lot of time getting lost in there when I started with a simple pyramid.

• kyrzon
    Offline / Send Message
    kyrzon polycounter lvl 2
    Hi there!
    this is my first post on this month's challenge

@ZacD you're right about proportions, this kind of props can even feel cartoonish if you don't manage it carefully.
    About the material, if you follow the concept the body should be metallic, but actual grenades are coated with dielectric paint. I think it's done like this to achieve the sci-fi look, anyway I'll do some "skins" to test it.

@Atticus your proportions are a bit off, the body should be thinner and the top part smaller. Nice use of generators on painter though.

@babymagnum24 your mesh feels like a high poly, for realtime you need to clean all the unused loops, everything flat should be 1 poly or near 1 and the amount of detail should be the same over the prop. For example, the gear over the cylinder is too dense. Also be careful with shapes, the bottom of your grenade is very different than the concept one.

I've been working on the grenade but wanted to push further the weighted vertex normals workflow in ue4. I've done this for testing and learning purposes to apply it to an environment next month.

- No mesh normal map nor highpoly used 
    - 1 ue4 material instance
    - 4 tiled standard materials (can be used in multiple props)
    - 2 Customs UVsets [0-seamless overlap/1-lightmap/2-wear&damage normalized]
    - 3 procedural masks (packed) in 1 map [sun bleach/edge damages/rust and dirt] (Mesh specific)
    - Parametrized ue4material slots to change the overall look 
    - Parametrized ue4material controls for masks and wear levels to use in runtime
    - Substance designer graph for further control over masks (mesh specific, slower in runtime)
    - Mesh decals with damage and dirt (also controlled through substance or ue4material params)

UE4 editor screenshots, default lightning with hdri setup
    I'm planning on doing a breakdown on a separate post if it's interesting for someone.
    It's a WIP, I need to polish it but I wanted to post it here as soon as possible, any critiques are always welcome

• artygamer
    Offline / Send Message
    artygamer polycounter lvl 3
    cfey said:
    Hi there,

finished highpoly (maybe some tweaking while creating the lowpoly). will add more normal-detail in substance/quixel.
    i know that the plants are missing - will add them soon :-)

best regards
    this is niceee! love it good job!
  • cfey
    Offline / Send Message
    cfey triangle
  • Toku
    Offline / Send Message
    Toku polycounter lvl 6
    @cfey really nice work! How did you make the cloth on the bed?

Here is an update with the scifi environment in UE4, It stil needs some details but they will be done with decals.
    It deviates fromt he concept a bit (No bathroom window, Wider room, 3 Shelves). But overall the Sofa and Bed follow real world scale and the width of the room gives a less claustrophobic feeling I think. Also for the lighting I used an emissive material with the realtime GI then also overlayed some Dynamic lights which gave a good mix of GI lighting and shadows. Any crits are appreciated
  • cfey
    Offline / Send Message
    cfey triangle
    @Toku thx mate. the cloth on the bed was a little bit tricky, had to watch several cloth tutorials and ended up with a not-so-trivial solution aaaaaand by-hand-fixes (working in 3ds max). didn't want to get in touch with marvelous designer (don't get me wrong, the program is very nice, but i'm not having enough time to learn it right now), i think that makes it a lot easier!

i like your lighting and that's a nice way to evade the bathroom-problem  :D
  • Tzur_H
    Offline / Send Message
    Tzur_H polycounter lvl 9
    I also went with bigger room scale, feels better IMO.  ceiling height is 2.6 meters, and room width is 5 meters wall to wall.
    Started creating the trim texture in NDO, I'm going to use face weighted normals with decals, would have been awesome if POM decals worked in UE4 :\

• Toku
    Offline / Send Message
    Toku polycounter lvl 6
    @cfey Thanks! I used MD to sim the cloth on the bed but its difficult to fold it under like in the concept. especially if it has more than one side. I think I will probably end up simulating it, then moving it with FFD then sculpting in ZBrush to get an accurate result

@Tzur_H Keep up the good work man, It's looking much better once you have visual landmarks which you can associate with in reality. My measurements are about the same.

The Coffee table may be a bit too tall, On average they are 1-2in shorter than the tops of the seat:
    http://www.decosoup.com/images/stories/Design_Issues/Coffee_tables/00C.jpg 

There are a few technologies which are behind in UE4 such as real-time GI, Decal shaders etc which make it difficult to copy the style of some games. Check the thread "Star Citizen Decal Technique" it has a lot of good information regarding getting high quality decals in UE4
  • kysg
    Offline / Send Message
    kysg polycounter lvl 3
    kyrzon said:
    Hi there!
    this is my first post on this month's challenge

@ZacD you're right about proportions, this kind of props can even feel cartoonish if you don't manage it carefully.
    About the material, if you follow the concept the body should be metallic, but actual grenades are coated with dielectric paint. I think it's done like this to achieve the sci-fi look, anyway I'll do some "skins" to test it.

I've been working on the grenade but wanted to push further the weighted vertex normals workflow in ue4. I've done this for testing and learning purposes to apply it to an environment next month.

- No mesh normal map nor highpoly used 
    - 1 ue4 material instance
    - 4 tiled standard materials (can be used in multiple props)
    - 2 Customs UVsets [0-seamless overlap/1-lightmap/2-wear&damage normalized]
    - 3 procedural masks (packed) in 1 map [sun bleach/edge damages/rust and dirt] (Mesh specific)
    - Parametrized ue4material slots to change the overall look 
    - Parametrized ue4material controls for masks and wear levels to use in runtime
    - Substance designer graph for further control over masks (mesh specific, slower in runtime)
    - Mesh decals with damage and dirt (also controlled through substance or ue4material params)

UE4 editor screenshots, default lightning with hdri setup
    I'm planning on doing a breakdown on a separate post if it's interesting for someone.
    It's a WIP, I need to polish it but I wanted to post it here as soon as possible, any critiques are always welcome

Emulating concepts 1-1 is never going to be 100% right.  Even in yours the clip is off.  

Some people opted for 1 loop on the pin, some opted for a double-loop.  Some people did the text as a normal pushed in, some just went for a plain white decal.

Can't even say what material the concept art is going for...dunno if that is even a metal...
  • creepyhooman
    Offline / Send Message
    creepyhooman polycounter lvl 7
    Hello, so this is my first polycount challenge. Renders of hp.