Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Rise of the Tomb Raider: Blood Ties dlc

Rhoutermans
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Rhoutermans polycounter lvl 12
Hi guys,

Finally able to share some screenshots from the Rise of the Tomb Raider: Blood Ties dlc we at Nixxes Software made together with Crystal Dynamics. Mostly worked on modelling and materials, with some prop dressing. Thanks for taking a look!

Replies

• Chimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    Lovely work, no idea why there's no replies but it certainly deserves some praise! Able to share a little bit about the challenges you faced and any lessons learned?
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    Awesome work, makes me want to go back and finish the game!
  • Budd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Budd polycounter lvl 2
    Looks great!, I've been meaning to check that game out for some time now.
  • romy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    romy polycounter lvl 12
    awesome job man, makes me want to try the game =)
  • Tzur_H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tzur_H polycounter lvl 9
    cool stuff man!  I really like the cellar shot
  • rgbeard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rgbeard polycounter lvl 4
    fantastic work!
  • Beard3D Bandit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Beard3D Bandit polycounter lvl 7
    @Rhoutermans 
    would you mind going into a little bit more detail in the final 2 pictures. 
  • Di$array
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    Really want to play the new Tomb Raider but its always finding time to do so.... damn you time. But seeing this artwork I think I'm going to have to make time. Fantastic job.
  • DInusty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DInusty polycounter lvl 17
    looks great! congrats on your release as well :smile:
  • Mant1k0re
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mant1k0re polycounter lvl 8
    Awesome art, congrats on this release :)
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Man, I haven't finished Rise of the Tomb Raider yet, and haven't given the DLC a shot...thanks for reminding me i need to get back to it :)

It all looks great.  Any chance you can show specific props and materials for this?  Would love to see those.
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments! Just to clarify this DLC is part of the PS4 20 year celebration release :)

Chimp said:
    Lovely work, no idea why there's no replies but it certainly deserves some praise! Able to share a little bit about the challenges you faced and any lessons learned?
    Sure, this project was a huge step up for me and I learned a lot. Learning more tools was very important as well, even the smaller stuff like plugins for maya etc. I've primarily been a 3d max user, but I had some basis in Maya..which helped me transition. I'm still learning more about maya but at least I wasn't at a total loss from day one :) It's always a good idea to learn other packages. For me, the biggest challenge was probably learning more about materials and our engine. What also helped a lot was that communication in our team was(is) very friendly and open which made it easier to walk up to someone and ask about workflow / process. I hope I've answered ur question :)

Beard3D Bandit said:
    @Rhoutermans 
    would you mind going into a little bit more detail in the final 2 pictures. 
    I think I've answered this question on artstation but just to be sure; most of these assets are modular but where we want custom dirt etc we merge the modular parts together and work in the details as a 'new' asset. Hope this helps!

Thanks for taking a look!
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gsokol said:
    Man, I haven't finished Rise of the Tomb Raider yet, and haven't given the DLC a shot...thanks for reminding me i need to get back to it :)

It all looks great.  Any chance you can show specific props and materials for this?  Would love to see those.
    Haha you are very welcome, hope you enjoy it :) I'm afraid I can't share those, I hope that changes tho  :#
  • AXEL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AXEL polycounter lvl 6
    Guys, you have to stop making such a good art I can't play the game anymore all I do is stare at the art :D wondering when will enemies stop shooting me so I can explore every detail in peace :D
  • Chimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    AXEL said:
    Guys, you have to stop making such a good art I can't play the game anymore all I do is stare at the art :D wondering when will enemies stop shooting me so I can explore every detail in peace :D
    Don't you know the secret Greentooth button combo that works in almost every game released in the last five years? Secret agreement amongst devs, turns on a special photo mode with free floating camera and individual material map and render pass display mode? We all suffered this until the holy polygon pact was made, and the great lord vertex said no greentooth should ever have to kill a digital life to appreciate art..

Thanks for the insight Rhoutermans ! :)
  • Chimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    It's A, X, X, Y, Y, Y, B Left Up... OH NO IVE SAID TOO MU---- 
    aeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!!!
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    this game looks beautiful, I must remember to get it some time!
  • HapZungLam2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HapZungLam2 polycounter lvl 7
    Looks amazing.  Im very impressed with the whole game.  Wondering which engine were you guys have used for tombraider.  And what engine you guys use mostly in Crystal Dynamics
  • Rhoutermans
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks amazing.  Im very impressed with the whole game.  Wondering which engine were you guys have used for tombraider.  And what engine you guys use mostly in Crystal Dynamics
    I actually don't remember the name of the (in-house) engine, but the editor is called Horizon. Can't really say much about it I guess, but there's some interviews you can google about it :)