Home Career & Education

Non-Art careers you had

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Pinned
Doodlok interpolator
Hello lovely people of Polycount! 

As a student who aspires to join the gaming industry as a concept artist (currently grinding through technicalities of 2D and 3D arts D:), I was wondering if you are currently working as game artists, what kind of different jobs did you go through if you ever had to?

I finished my freshman year in Vancouver, then I turned 20 couple months ago and as a Korean that means I was conscripted as a soldier! I went through a month of learning how evil North Korea is and all that lovely cold war stuff, but I got reposted have been working as a translator and a counselor in immigration office.

I just wanted to know, because as a student, literally ALL of you artists are my role models and my aspirations! SOmetimes it seems like you were all born as this masterful artists and I know you all put in unimaginable number of hours and hard work to reach where you are at the moment. So I just wanted to get to know you guys as a person, before you became the incarnation of awesomeness. 

Replies

• JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Worked 1 year at a Wal-Mart. It was the single most traumatizing event of my life.  It did help put money in my pocket though to get the tech I need to make better art, but overall, a part of me inside died.

Recently, I quit a restaurant job. After getting the portfolio advice, I just decided to stop showing up and just finish making the props/environments that will get me a 3D job.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    hmm, a couple. started at a grocery store bagging stuff, pushing carts, cleaning bathrooms and ringing people up. I did that until college and then got a job at blockbuster for a bit then gamestop for a couple of years. wasn't too bad because I had some rad managers. Oh, I also helped deliver milk once at 4am. Never again.
  • RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Before games starting at age 15:  Dishwasher, McDonald's, Kitchen Help, 3 Gas Station jobs, Construction Labourer, Electronics Technologist (elevators mostly, picture of an old one below). 

After ten years in games:  took a six year break from full-time games and became a Journeyman Electrician (wanted another back-up career in case I move to small town).  Fire alarm, commercial electrical and a bit of industrial.  I kept working in games part-time while I was becoming an electrician.

Now:  back in games full-time, enjoying it more than ever

• Rockley Bonner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rockley Bonner polycounter lvl 12
    US Airforce Cyber transport. AKA computer networking but I ended up doing more electronics repair.
  • Doodlok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doodlok interpolator
    @JordanN
    I feel you, dealing with number of people who they know they'll never see you again is JUST MINDBREAKINGLY HORRID. I really wish your 3D job hunting goes well!!!

@bounchfx
    delivery at 4am sounds intense as hell!! Hard work does pay off, lesson learned from you :D

@RyanB
    Whoa, that's both long and amazing list of work there. How did you eventually end up joining the game industry? I can already feel the inspiring story coming up :smiley:  Weren't you working on Warhammer title? I think I remember looking at your profile after your SONY workflow post that made to the front page.

@Rockley Bonner 
    You just won the coolest work title ever. That's amazing! Are you still serving in Airforce?
  • Rockley Bonner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rockley Bonner polycounter lvl 12
    Doodlok said:

@Rockley Bonner 
    You just won the coolest work title ever. That's amazing! Are you still serving in Airforce?

Yep I have 2 months and 2 weeks left, a lot of it sucked but it was worth it. Best decision of my life. Ill be going to school right after in April.

• Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    Sold strawberries when I was 10, didn't like it, never looked back, shaped me into who I am today ;).
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lets see....

Corn detasseling when I was 15 (its a rural midwest thing...)
    Dishwasher
    Cook
    Very brief stint working at a video rental store...was working 2 jobs at the time
    Delivery Driver at a fast food sandwich shop
    QA Tester 
    Artist at a Military Sim company
    Environment Artist at a game studio
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Well, hmm, 

Retails => Web Development Internship => QA Tester => Ballroom Instructor => Ballroom Instructor part-time.

Currently working part-time while working on my folio.

• Jaston3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaston3D polycounter lvl 8
    Worked at a movie theater when I turned 17
    Did freelance cinematography and photography during that time as well.
    Got a job full time in the game industry as an environment artist when I was 19.
    20 now, and although I love my job. I've dabbled with ideas of breaking into the feature film industry and getting back into cinematography.
    I guess the sense of professional accomplishment in whatever interests me at the time is something i'll be chasing the rest of my life.

• RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doodlok said:
    @RyanB
    Whoa, that's both long and amazing list of work there. How did you eventually end up joining the game industry? I can already feel the inspiring story coming up :smiley:  Weren't you working on Warhammer title? I think I remember looking at your profile after your SONY workflow post that made to the front page.
    Not sure if inspiring but...

I was working on elevators as an electronics technologist when Quake 1 came out.  I started modding it at home, goofing around with bots and levels.   Then I heard about 3D programs and found POV-Ray.  After playing with that, I found 3DS Max and eventually took a part-time course at Vancouver Film School and eventually went to VFS full-time.

After VFS, I applied all over the world at every place I could find.  Nothing.  I started working at an audio-visual company thinking I wouldn't get a job.  After two months, I sent my demo-reel to a company called BioWare in Edmonton.  About a month later I got a call from them.  They flew me out for an interview.  Shortly after that, they told me I was hired. 

I loaded as much as I could into my car and drove 16 hours to Edmonton.  Starting salary was half of what I made in electronics.  My only furniture the first year was a futon.  That was 17 years ago and I've been mostly working in games ever since.

Having education and experience in math and programming (assembly, C++) as an electronics technologist has been a huge benefit.  I do a lot of scripting at work and even more at home.  I'm sort of at a crossroads of wanting to become a software engineer (tons of jobs) or get deep into learning Houdini. 

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Subway for 1 year in Highschool.
    Diary Queen for 1 year while doing community college
    Customer Support for an Internet Service Provider for 1 year
    IT for the last 4 years.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Phew. Worked as a website designer, worked in a supermarket, worked in a call center, worked a mailman-type job in a federal ministry, and then nearly ten years of working in a hostel/hotel next to studying/loafing etc. Phones was the worst, though. By far.
  • Vincent3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vincent3d polycounter lvl 2
    Started working in a pig farm at 11 years old until I was 17,Worked for 3-4 months at Bombardier (assembly line work)then worked 1 year in a grocery store while studying 3d art,and then I worked approx. 8months after school for Rogers(cellphone) customer service and then finally got a job in 3d!

• Melazee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Melazee polycounter lvl 11
    McDonalds for one week when I was 16. Got fired because I spent too much time making sure the customers were comfortable rather than churning them through haha. That was the only job I had until I got into games once I left University, which was the right choice as I am still there three years later! Clearly retail was not my shtick. 
  • Doodlok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doodlok interpolator
    @Jonas Ronnegard
    You should write a biography. I'd actually buy and read it.

@gsokol
    How did you end up getting job for the military sim company??? That sounds hella intriguing! 

@PyrZern
    So are you currently working as a ballroom part time instructor? Retails must have been tough, dealing with masses of people just kills you slowly inside :dizzy:

@Jaston3D
    THATS CRAZY! YOU NAILED FULL TIME JOB WHEN YOURE 19??? Dude, your hard work and passion must be out of le roof!!!!! Im sure whatever you do in future would be equally successful, cant help but feeling very jealous here :D 

@RyanB
    Er, I don't think if that qualifies as inspirational anything does. I CRIED WHEN I SAW BIOWARE it's like listening to fairytale stories :D Endless respect. Also does this mean you lived in Vancouver before? I'd love to learn more about your industry experience!! 

@ZacD
    Whoa, are you still in IT and preparing for game industry, or are you in gaming industry now? 

@cptSwing
    That's an impressive range of career you have right there! What were you studying for ten years?

@Vincent3d
    I dont know what the hollywood movie producers are doing, they should be making movies about stories like that right now!!

@Melazee
    I feel you, I sorta work in retail environment at the moment and more you're kind more you get 'inefficient', sadly. Where did you attend university in? 
  • Melazee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Melazee polycounter lvl 11
    @Doodlok
    Yeah, retail really wasn't suited to my personality at all. I studied at Falmouth University, Digital Animation and VFX... although weirdly, I came out as a character artist rather than an animator (I went in fully expecting to still want to be an animator at the end of it).
  • RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Doodlok said:
    @RyanB
    Er, I don't think if that qualifies as inspirational anything does. I CRIED WHEN I SAW BIOWARE it's like listening to fairytale stories :D Endless respect. Also does this mean you lived in Vancouver before? I'd love to learn more about your industry experience!!

BioWare was a good place to start but at the time it wasn't well known outside of RPG fans.  They were just finishing BG2 so I got to work on the cinematics even though I had no clue what I was doing.  I just said yes to everything and learned to do it as fast as I could.  After 2 1/2 years it was time to move on so I went back home to Vancouver and got a job at EA Blackbox. 

I've lived in Vancouver all of my life except for my time in Edmonton.  Most of my family is here and a lot of my wife's family is here.  I would love to move to a smaller town but I can't take my kids away from their cousins and grandmothers. 

• PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Doodlok said:
    @PyrZern
    So are you currently working as a ballroom part time instructor? 
    Pretty much. And the perk of being the instructor is that; people don't give you shit/crap. They look up to you. To them, the beginner, you're pretty much a dancing god embodiment :smile:  

But make no mistake. Sometimes it's quite shitty. Say, a couple is on the verge of a break up, and they sign up for dancing lessons. And so now you're pretty much a marriage therapist. Or a boyfriend who is quite a douche, and ignore any technique, and just use more force... Or when a couple tries to blame each other for mistakes they both make.

Usually troubled students don't last long, though. So usually only the good ones remain.

• sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sziada polycounter lvl 11
    Video store employee, Dish washer, waiter, barista, kitchen hand, call center phone operater, all job don't compare to be a 3D Artist
  • Biomag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    9 months trainee at court, 2+ years legal clerk at issurance company, 1+ years QA tester, 2+ years 3d artist and now screwed :D
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    I'm currently working in underwriting in insurance. Was really pumped about it when I first started. Not a bad career at all. When I started taking some schooling which the company paid for I was sent into a 'what am I doing' spiral as I read legal wordings and looked at numbers all day. A friend asked me what I would actually want to be doing and I said something creative, like working on video games. He asked me why I wasn't doing that, and I didn't have an answer. So now I'm working my butt off to get out of insurance!