Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Roman game assets based on scan

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
holypoly polycounter lvl 2
Hi!
In this post, i want to share my workflow wich i had to do in this project.
Game alpha deadline is 15 Jan, so I have to make an asset about in 1-2 max 3 hours.

So I making assets for the game as hell fast as I can, I also recieved photos of the icons,and mosaics, and 3d scans wich i have to optimize, create UWs and materials.

First I do some corrections on the highpoly scan in Zbrush.

Lowpoly:
For the topology: Zbrush->Topogun->3ds Max
Baking: X-Normal, Toolbag 3, Substance Painter
Texturing: Substance Painter

Photoscans are from Louvre,and British Museum, from Sketchfab! And I only used the topology for normals, and occlusion.

You can find these images on artstation too with 3d view :)
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/Jn4Ez

These modells are LOD0 wich means they have 2000-8000 polygons, and 1 UWmap/modell

Replies

• holypoly
    Offline / Send Message
    In the few days i will do more and share via gumroad... I going to post it on  the great game art giveaway too
  • holypoly
    Offline / Send Message

Roman wall fountain and lantern

• holypoly
    Offline / Send Message

Roman lantern number two
  • holypoly
    Offline / Send Message
    another pack of statues... 

• holypoly
    Offline / Send Message
    These are the last ones, and my job is ended with scan refferences...

• [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • holypoly
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! I will definetly post the process! During my job I noticed some things which I really want to share, and find out what you think about it!
  • holypoly
    Offline / Send Message
    These assets will be in an interactive learning program, wich will have a roman level, Aquincum.
    The deadline was very close, and there were more than 30 assests wich I had to deliver. So I had to make assets as fast as I can, and worked out relativley fast ways to do it.
    Please let me know if i did anything dumb! Especially need advice on unwarping, because I still learning it, but every critic and advice are very welcome!

1: Sketchfab

First I received a list with full of sketchfab links.
     These modells are under creative common license, and downloadable for free.

2: Position_rotate_scale

At first import the object is mostly floating in random coordinate,
     and needs a proper rotating, and scaling to get the real world size.

Of course there where other issuses where I had to make correct smooting groups, make submaterials, fill holes, or sculp the highpoly mesh for a proper bake. If needed one highpoly for color map (original) and one for the correct AO, and normals.

3: Retopo

I used Topogun2 to make a new mesh.
    It wasnt like hard surface modelling...even when the scanned object was it. Scans can be very chaotic, and there isnt things like symmetry, or smooth surface,correct chamfers, and so..
    So the most accurate method is using topopgun, where I draw the topology vertex by vertex. Every pot and lantern made like this, because of the complexity

More complex things like the statues made with Zbrush. It was the fastest, but not so accurate.
    I set Zremesher to half the polygon count, and step by step scuplted the lowpoly mesh, to get some more accuarte basic shape.
    There were some standing statues, where I had to use both of the programs, the get some correction on the lowpoly mesh, and prepare to unwarp.

4: Preparing to unwarp

Some basic thing has to be done on the lowpoly mesh, check vertex, and face overlapings, normals, smoothing groups, material IDs, detaching for multi bake if need, and make sure everything is okay.

5: Unwarp
    The main goal was to create a map with the less possible islands, and keep texel size to not get weird texture sizes.
    I used UvLayouts for this, but this time not only because of the deadline, and my time managment.
     This program helps me a lot to understanding how unwarping works.

6: Bake

I use many programs to bake textures from highpoly, and its always depends on how much time do I have.
    I used mostly Marmoset Toolbag 3 for fast and nice bake, and I totally amazed by this little monkey!

This time I didnt used the specular and gloss bake, but this is my next thing on my list. Just have to make proper material IDs on the scan, set a correct pbr setting with scaned albedo, and bake the hell out of it!

7: Textures

Substance painter baker did an excellent job too, but in texturing has a leading role. Smart materials, dirt alphas, and other procedural material ninja things helped me get feel of a material.
    The export was UE4 with merged AO, roughness, and metallic texture.

So thats it. The client was happy to see historically correct assests, in a demo game map with 120fps...
    And Iam happy to share it with you and courius what you think about it!

• holypoly
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally able to capture some footage and pics from our first level. It will be part of a bigger hystorical game for schools.
    Thanks to Bela Szabo (rigging,animation) and Pester Sekula (Rome Fantasy pack vol1)
    Lightning ,enviroment,and some of the modells  made by me.
    UE 4.14