Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

I need a new portfolio piece

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
X-One polycounter lvl 18
Hey all, this is my portfolio as of now:
https://ksheriff.artstation.com/

My current situation can be found here http://polycount.com/discussion/181949/new-year-new-approach , but the tldr version is that I'm looking for work, and I don't want to spend too much time unemployed.

Right now, all of my other work is either non-relevant, or too old for a current environmental artist position and two pieces is too few to give myself a fair chance. I need to make some new solid art, and I need to do it as fast as I can without compromising quality.

I've been considering what type of environment to work on next. At the moment, my two main contenders are something Sci-fi (which might be easier for me), or something more natural. My main consideration is that I don't want to spend months on it, as I really want to be ready to send out another round of applications as soon as possible. That pretty much means that I very much have scope in mind.

With that said, I'm open to any ideas.

As of now, I'm leaning in the direction of nature, as I think it will push me a bit, and I currently don't have any exterior scenes. Here's what I'm thinking right now:

I think my main inspiration seems doable with a relatively tight timeline, but I worry it looks too boring. I haven't quite figured out what direction I want to take it, but I feel like I need to create a narrative to make it successful. Right now, I'm thinking some kind of rogue military encampment, but that's just for the sake of getting things rolling. I'm hoping as I block things out, I get some ideas.

Any input, even if it means doing a full 180 on this idea, is appreciated. 

Replies

• Ashervisalis
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Some advice someone gave to me is to figure out what near studios you would want to work for, and make stuff in that art style, that look like it could be just dropped into one of their games.

That outdoor scene looks like it would be pretty fun to make!
  • X-One
    Offline / Send Message
    X-One polycounter lvl 18
    Fully aware of how bad the sketch is, so don't mind it. I committed myself to posting everyday (even if all I have to show is this crap). I've blocked out a lot of the scene, but I still couldn't resolve the composition completely, so I just started painting over a screengrab. I'm really not sure it's worth modeling a lot of the building, because I'm not sure I want to go all the way around the building.

Narrative wise, I'm thinking research station at this point. 

@Ashervisalis, that's good advice, and I may scrap this in favor of an urban street scene. It will be less fun to do, but probably more practical.