Home Technical Talk

Help with UV mapping character with hard/soft edges

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Cortes polycounter lvl 6
(OT: I love it when the server has a brief seizure and you lose the whole post you wrote -_-)

Hey guys. I posted a few months ago about working on a character. Unfortunately the project didn't work out and I'm still struggling with this. I went about trying to unwrap this simple astronaut character in a way that 90% of character tutorials teach you how (the usual generic nude human beginner mesh): I'd select seams and faces, unwrap, relax, stitch, sew. Apparently that aint good enough. As you can see in the left side of the pic, the islands still have godawful distortion that makes me cry. I have no idea how to unwrap this guy. I've also tried multiple different layouts: I'd go into the beveled edges and make tons of strips for each beveled little panel in the armor. Still no dice. He isn't really dense at all either. The tutorials really don't prepare you for these kinds of things.  Any help is appreciated.

Replies

• Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    not sure what youbare asking for

however, what prevents you from straightening those pieces?
  • Cortes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cortes polycounter lvl 6
    I don't know how to straighten them... I'm hitting a wall with this and don't know what techniques or steps I'd need to avoid that distortion on some of these surfaces 
  • Cortes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cortes polycounter lvl 6
    Bump... any help is appreciated 
  • rohMizuno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    its a good idea to tile your checker a bit more in order to see how bad that distortion actually is. I don't always trust modo's "heat" map colors for such thing.
    But for what I can tell your unwrap does not seems all that bad, you might have more cuts than you actually need, but in terms of distortion, a character will hardly have perfectly straight uv islands, if that is what you are trying to achieve. And depending on the texture software you are going to use, some distortion wont be problem at all.
  • kwyjibo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kwyjibo polycounter lvl 7
    If you intend the suit details to be symmetrical  you could probably overlap a lot more of the UVs. Orienting shells in 90 degree increments and also arranging things in an organized layout would help if you intend to paint in Photoshop or similar. I would probably straighten out a lot of the long thin strips.