Replies

• AtticusMars
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    I'm glad the meme is catching on

• Andra
    Offline / Send Message
    Andra polycounter lvl 4
    Or you know, maybe more people enjoy sculpting women and more people like looking at them.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • vickgaza
    Offline / Send Message
    vickgaza polycounter lvl 6
    it`s as if people like sex or something ? seems to me heterosexual males and lesbian/bisexual women might like to make and/or view boobs and ass more so than they like alpha cards of grass placed on rocks or monsters or 3d renders of cars .... WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT !? *mindblown* 

• leslievdb
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
  • tekkoontan
    Offline / Send Message
    tekkoontan polycounter lvl 4
    tits and asses are the things i want to see and AS shows me what i want to see so thats good. the more people bitch about it, the more i want to make more though haha.
  • Pedro Amorim
  • Amaury
    Offline / Send Message
    Amaury polycounter lvl 7
    I'm surprised no one's admitted how simple of a man they are yet, this thread begs for the meme.
  • SpiffyMai
    Offline / Send Message
    SpiffyMai polycounter lvl 5
    You should add dicks. Even it out! Equal opportunity objectification! 
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    It's artstation not Arse-station, guys, keep it PG.

• future-fiction
    Offline / Send Message
    future-fiction greentooth
    @Joopson Offtopic, but this is the kind of thing that annoys me. A million renders of the same commercially available Daz/Poser character flooding a page like this is kind of ridiculous. Of course someone practicing their composition/rendering skills using premade characters is totally legitimite, but I wish they would consolidate all of these to one post per character and just use multiple images per project instead.

On the actual topic, I don't think its an issue, but I would be a bit upset if someone thought I put sexualised aspects into my work just because of 'clickbait'. I didn't want that to sound pretentious or anything, but I genuinely like the aesthetics of sexy/revealing costumes on characters etc, and I think a lot of people who do enjoy it can easily be peer pressured out of making that kind of artwork because (all moral arguments aside) its not 'mature' or 'serious' enough. tl;dr if its honestly what the person enjoys making, I'm all for it :smiley:
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    @future-fiction
    To be fair, I searched "cleavage" to get this page of images, and DAZ/Poser are definitely firmly in the "sexy poses" category that would use cleavage as a tag. But I absolutely absolutely absolutely agree. You can always tell, too, which I think makes it worse. All the models look exactly the same.
  • future-fiction
    Offline / Send Message
    future-fiction greentooth
    @Joopson lmao that makes sense! I thought it could have been in the 'newest' tab!
  • Zack Maxwell
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    To be fair, I don't care about people making art like that either. I'm more concerned about;
    A ) The actual value of the site as a place to put up a portfolio and be discovered by an employer or client being diluted because of the front page getting swarmed by all the T&A nameless random viewers enjoy,
    B ) Having a harder time finding the kind of works that interest and inspire me personally because of it, and
    C ) Less publicity being given to artists who create more skillful work.

If I'm mad at anyone, it's Artstation for not better curating/filtering their pages. I feel like better work should get better coverage; not whatever random stuff the most people are spanking it to.
    I agree that they should have filters for different types of art.
  • Alemja
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja quad damage
    So I think everyone is really getting caught up on the "tits" portion of the observation, when maybe a better point could be made: "Hey I notice that there are topics that generally trend very highly (fanart, T&A, sci-fi guns, etc) do the artists do these pieces just for the views? Should I do them?" This could be an interesting topic of discussion.

Tits, asses, pinups and such are just probably one of the more obvious examples that catches people's attention, since everybody has wildly different views on what is and is not acceptable and sexuality (not all nudes are sexual, context matters) is kind of a taboo thing. Is there stuff that can be seen as pandering to the lowest common denominator? Of course there is, there always will be art that could be considered as pandering. However, I think it's important to be change you want to see; make your own things and promote other artists who do other things you enjoy, especially if its something different and unique. There is also no point in being offended by art, imo it's far more productive to take a step back figure out what you do or don't like about a piece of art rather than go with the knee-jerk reaction of feeling offended by something.
  • Mehran Khan
    Offline / Send Message
    Mehran Khan polycounter lvl 9
    Drawcrowd has 4x more tits and ass than artstation, just sayin.

• Jonas Ronnegard
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    Well they can't curate or filter the trending top list since the meaning of it is just to show what is popular right now, how many likes per hour.
    if you want the filtered list then you go to picks.

Sadly I think that anything like gumroad tutorials etc don't get put in the pick section, most of my work got into the pick section except anything that had a link to gumroad or was meant for promotion purposes, so for me I don't want to miss out on good tutorials that might get released so I stick to trending.
  • DavidCruz
  • Rockley Bonner
    Offline / Send Message
    Rockley Bonner polycounter lvl 12
  • koyima
    Offline / Send Message
    koyima polycounter lvl 5
    From what I see T and A isn't the majority of art on trending. What I can say is that as a hetero male I can spot the boobs without paying attention to what is going on, I can see them even if I blur my eyes. Maybe OP is projecting his acute sense of boobery and that's why he ignores 90-99% of the content.

To be fair if all you can spot are the boobs you might think the site is filled with boobs even if it isn't.
  • koyima
    Offline / Send Message
    koyima polycounter lvl 5
    Like, I mean you might be hardwired by a few thousand years of evolution to spot that TandA
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    I have absolutely nothing to add to this conversation but I still felt the urge to comment here
  • shubham kumar
    Offline / Send Message
    shubham kumar polycounter lvl 9
    Gadorian said:
    WTF? I just went on Artstation to get some inspiration and to see what's new, and the front page is riddled with tits, asses and chicks in suggestive poses with little to no clothes. My question is - do artists do these kind of pieces for views? I mean, you look into any of these pieces, and they have thousands of views and likes, then there are some stunning environments, sculpts, and some beautiful art in general, that once you hold for more than a second and appreciate the work and thought that has been put into it, and they have little to no views and likes, like wtf? Do people just scroll through works, see tits and upvote? I mean, if I want people to notice my work, should I add tits to everything? It's just the idea that I'm getting from watching Artstation feed.

What are your thoughts on this matter?
    It happens some time and its because most of them are know and famous artist and lot of people are following them , whatever they upload it will be visible to lot of people and many people hit like button  just because he is a known and a good artist and then it goes on to Trending wall .   

This can be helpful to you - http://magazine.artstation.com/2016/12/artstation-account/

• Stinger88
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Its definitely true that more than ~20% of the images that is shown on the front page are of females, with only some of them being boobs, butts, whatever. This is to be expected tbh. The female form is generally seen as more attractive by both sexes and thus will get more "clicks".

When Artstation started it was mostly professional artists that were invited to join, etc. I remember thinking to myself "How long will it be until this community descends into Deviant art realms?". I'm glad to say its not anything like DA and hopefully never will be.

AS also started at the about same time Drawcrowd started up. Without wanting to "beat up" on another art community. Here's what I found on their "Daily Ranking" page. Its nearly NSFW tbh. But thats the direction that community chose I spose.
    https://drawcrowd.com/daily_ranking
  • stickadtroja
    Offline / Send Message
    stickadtroja polycounter lvl 11
    uhhhhh boobs and asses are so boring. when is dicks going to be popular? huge dongs outlined in tight leather thongs. that would be something. everybody knows what is most attractive to the human eye is phallos shaped forms. why do you guys think skyscrapers look the way they look? cuz we love them cocks

• Stinger88
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Polycount top tips #37: Posting a cock tank will get you "likes" and featured in the Recap ;)
  • Blond
    Offline / Send Message
    Blond polycounter lvl 9
    Over abundance of ass, tits and generic while sexy female warrior character? Yeh, it seems like it's 90% of what you find on most art sites though. Artstation is still consistent in terms of quality though..it's not to the point of deviant art where you have to search for a long time to find something out of the mass...
  • xrg
    Offline / Send Message
    xrg polycounter lvl 10
    The sad thing is, I clicked on this thread because it had tits in the title.
  • Spoon
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    pior said:
     What I find interesting is the way these sort of conversations always seem to create the biggest misunderstandings.

Someone wondering how come there is quite a lot of [insert name of the thing] somewhere, doesn't mean that this person is against [insert name of the thing], enjoys [insert name of the thing], would like to see less of [insert name of the thing], or enjoys rubbing their face against [insert name of the thing]. This is just a question, without any value judgement besides the one one wants to apply to it after the fact (and of course since this is The Internet Of 201X ... be offended by it).
    I found this funny enough that I had to quote it :smiley:
  • stickadtroja
    Offline / Send Message
    i really really hope polycount doesnt end up as artstation. like it would be such a bummer. like. uh. it would be shit in a cake-bad. with all this talk of bigger thumbnails and shit, i worry. there is no better place for gameart on the web, as far as i know. and if it ended up being only barely-clothed-anime-girls-with-oversized-breast-stuff, it would be sad. like in a the-last-panda-has-died sad. maybe not that much. but still.

beware. the road to shit-cake-draw-crowd type of forums are paved with good intentions like "make the thumbnails bigger", "make the text readable", "maybe put the popular posts on top", "add a like button".

dont be a shit cake. be a regular cake. thats good enough.
  • Brygelsmack
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    I just sort the website to whatever I want to see and save that as a bookmark. I think I got Digital 3D and trending currently saved. Works fine.
  • Snefer
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    Well, the trending section and the picks etc are a bit safer than the community page, which makes me hang my head in shame occasionally :D
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Do an image search of classical sculpture, in a new window do an image search of car tuner magazines.  What does the majority of Artstation and CG art in general resemble?
  • ninosboombox
  • ninosboombox
    Offline / Send Message
    ninosboombox polycounter lvl 2
    i dont see any tits!!!

• marrakech
    Offline / Send Message
    marrakech polycounter lvl 5
    at least most works are not as bad as this art of lara croft .oo no im against art
    https://youtu.be/vMdtAJyMsic?list=PLAbMhAYRuCUgRhWcNEpIT2QmX4zIZNkYb

• cupsster
    Offline / Send Message
    cupsster polycounter lvl 11
    If you do not like tities and can't digest nudity, then do not do art. Art is full of this stuff.. And well if you get aroused by it then just keep it for yourself, no need to launch nukes for it.. Cheers on nice titties and asses! .)
  • R3D
  • Chimp
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    Grimwolf said:
    To be fair, I don't care about people making art like that either. I'm more concerned about;
    A ) The actual value of the site as a place to put up a portfolio and be discovered by an employer or client being diluted because of the front page getting swarmed by all the T&A nameless random viewers enjoy,
    You mean diluted by all that extremely popular work, popular for both its content and it's execution -- i.e artists who make desireable work, desireable artists. As opposed to what? showing niche stuff on the front page? Stuff that few people have liked? You can argue all you want about people making tits just for the likes (which i think is crap) but its still LIKED. You're the one with the obscure taste, trying to argue as if it's the norm.

The function of the main page is to show what you call 'nameless random viewers' (most people) like. If you want to see what you like, that's what subscription feed is for. As for employers, they get by fine. The front page is absolutely not a problem for them. The search could do with a lot more fine grain options.

Grimwolf said:
    B ) Having a harder time finding the kind of works that interest and inspire me personally because of it,

Could you give me a concrete, demonstrable example of this? Show us a few searches you've done, because it sounds like rubbish to be honest.

Grimwolf said:
    C ) Less publicity being given to artists who create more skillful work.
    Please define skillful. So far as I can see, all of the work on the front page is created with a lot of skill. It's generally professional bordering expert level work that appears there, I very rarely see poor quality or execution float to the top... Care to provide some evidence here too?

Grimwolf said:
    I feel like better work should get better coverage; not whatever random stuff the most people are spanking it to.
    I agree that they should have filters for different types of art.
    'Better work' versus 'random stuff?' Again, show some of this stuff because the stuff on the front page is not random garbage, its exceptionally executed and of content that most people enjoy. There are filters for categories of art... I count _thirty_ of them? What do you mean with 'random'? If anything this strange 'skilled work' you talk about seems pretty 'random', by what seems to be your definition. What most people like is NOT random, its the opposite of random. What _you_ want seems to be niche, you're complaining that the front page is showing the most liked artwork, but not providing any definition of what makes this amazing but unknown 'skilled work' is. Please show us this skilled work that gets no likes...
    As for spanking, Yeah im sure most people whip it out and wank to artstation. No dude, it's just interest, people are naturally interested in it and therefore make it and like it, theyre not furiously wanking over it.

Sorry to hold you to your words but you're moaning without actually saying anything of substance imo :/

• AtticusMars
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    @R3D
    idk man I don't see any tits
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    If you do not like tities and can't digest nudity, then do not do art. Art is full of this stuff.. And well if you get aroused by it then just keep it for yourself, no need to launch nukes for it.. Cheers on nice titties and asses! .)

To be completely fair (and again, not making any positive or negative judgement here even though I personally do have a firm opinion on this, but this personal preference itself is simply not really relevant to the conversation), it's still interesting to see that many digital artists tend to favor fantasy (or ... fantasized) subject matters compared to traditional painters who seem to favor accurate descriptions of nature/the human form. There is a borderline grotesque aspect to some of the Drawcrowd stuff, probably coming from the fact that when someone is drawing from one's imagination using a vocabulary limited to a few pre-determined 2d elements ("2d code for female anime face" + "2d code for boobs" = image), then the only room for variation is the rendering quality, the size of the elements, and their relative placement. Aka : Big Shiny Titties.

But then again, who cares ? Nothing wrong with that, i
    f anything it makes it easier to stand out. And when you have something to say or show there is zero point in worrying about what others are doing anyways. 
  • Chimp
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    As for other people i cant quote because the quote system is down right now:

If the problem is because it's got tits, what are you arguing for, that we should show equal parts dick and equal parts inanimate object? No, that's not the purpose of the front page - if there were a significant enough number of people that wanted that, it would be there. And even then someone would complain that there isn't enough Furry art.

Perhaps it sucks as a girl or homosexual to rarely see stuff that appeals to you -i.e cute men for example, but often have to endure seeing skimpy girls, but dude, its mostly heterosexual males making the art, and being an industry site, its mostly them looking and liking it too. You shouldn't pervert the concept of a popularity page by artificially injecting not so popular content - that's what your own subscriptions and the 30-odd categories are for.

So what, as a girl or homosexual, or person from X place,  you feel like you aren't being given an equal experience on the website? what you should be asking for is better search tools, NOT less tits. Less tits is dumb. It's like freedoms activists who impose restrictions on what people can and cant say, it's just dumb. The front page is about what most people like, and most people in this industry are a particular sort, so thats what you see.

Try subscribing to people whose work you like, looking at the lists of other people's work that they make, and generally delve into the website a bit yeah? Or you can just phone into a nationwide radio station and complain that they arent playing your favourite local band's nu-death-core-grunge-noisewave symphony.

TBH I feel like tits and arse are a strawman here for people who dont see what they want to see, and feel entitled to inject it artificially to safisfy their own desires. Really, what's needed is a better search tool. The front-page is fine, the quality of the work is high and it's done based on what most people like. It's always going to show a certain sort of thing, but so does the cinema. If you want art-house unique interest niche stuff, skimpy men, lamp posts, or hyper realistic renderings of saggy dog anuses, so go find it yourself because it wont and shouldn't be on a page that is designed to give a representation on what most people are interested in. ask for better search tools if anything, not less of what most people want to make.

• pior
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Chimp - agreed on all points !

Now I only just skipped through the thread but if I am not mistaken no one is asking for less T&As, right ? I see people wondering why there is a lot of that kind of imagery around sites like Artstation and Drawcrowd (and in the case of the OP, a question as to why this is so popular/gets lots of likes) - these are interesting and relevant questions, but I don't see anyone asking for less of it. Unless that was the subtext the whole time ? But I'd personally rather take what people say as face value rather than trying to read between the lines, it's just  simpler that way.
  • Chimp
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    quote: I feel like better work should get better coverage; not whatever random stuff the most people are spanking it to.

Problem is what does better work mean, especially when what hits the front page is _technically_ fantastic for the most part, and in terms of content we've established its done on a measure of what's popular.
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    See, that comment is implying that these images aren't as well done as other work. I don't think that's the case. Most I see are really very well done. I mean, I get bored of it too, but this is a major part of art communities like this, so it's definitely best to just accept it and find your corner of the site to browse. It's a wide world of varied tastes. Yours won't always match up with what's popular.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i make boobs because i like boobs... i don't really care what other people like, don't like, or think about my work...
  • stickadtroja
    Offline / Send Message
    @Chimp
    i think the difference is what we expect from art station. your expectation seem to be that its like some ones homemade fan webpage, "i upload fun pics check dem out lol!!111", like 9gag or reddit or something. and i agree, with that expectation isnt it weird at all to see them cater to the most popular stuff.

my expectation comes from like a idea i got somehow, that they are like a professional place for game artist, interested in game art and showcasing it. and then with that expectation, when you see the front page its like "is this all we got? tits and asses?". but no one from artstation has said this obvouisly. that they are interested in showcasing game art. their whole reason for starting the website could be to get more tits and asses out on the internet for all i know.
    but when something becomes a "big thing", when its talked about as the one place you have to be to be in gameart these days, i dont think is that weird to have my kind of expectation.
    imagine one of the people you write about, a person not so interested in seeing mostly tits and asses, what if they hear that like art station is the place to hang if you like game art. they go there and are more less shown that, not only are they not what the website caters to, they also as you say have to "be asking for better search tools". like, why blame them? couldn't art station cater to BOTH them AND the tits and ass-fans? maybe the front page could actually be IMPROVED by stronger diversity in the art shown?

• Chimp
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    What exactly is unprofessional about tits and arses dude? Are you an adult? You're talking about them like a child does. And I'm pretty sure we've established that it isn't the case that tits and arse flood the front page quite as much as some people imply? But even within the characters category, there's nothing particularly crude or unprofessional. It's nothing like 9gag. It's professional character artists tackling what frankly is pretty damn hard to pull off well. Have you tackled a fully-finished production quality pin up? And made it appealing? Had a hit drawing? Or have you just done turn around model sheets.

Could understand if it were alien tentacle rape hentai, but it's just the female body.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    The concern I have is that, because T&A compromises such a large quantity of the front page, it shows that people are liking them all because of the subject matter rather than the piece itself. The ones on the front page are rarely of poor quality, but many are displayed in lieu of things that reached similar levels of popularity based purely on their own merits.
    The issue would be the same if the front page was swarmed by trees or cars.
    That being said, I just now found out, because of this thread, that Artstation actually does have categories that you can filter by. So I no longer care about that.
    I don't need to concern myself over everyone rating up anything of X subject simply because X subject is popular.
  • [Deleted User]
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Chimp
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator