Home Career & Education

Is there such a thing as 'Old' people in game studios?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
capone polycounter lvl 18
I'm in my mid thirties and been working in the gaming industry for 10+ years now at three very different game dev studios and I've never noticed anyone who looks over the age of 40 :p

I think it's partly down to 'big' gaming studios still being relatively young, I guess for anyone who has worked in the industry for 30+ years they came from a time when games were made by 1 or 2 people so perhaps in a few decades older people in studios will become more of a thing. On the other hand I often hear that as people in the industry start to create a family, the whole crunch time and stress is something they steer away from and take their skills elsewhere so that they can devote their evenings to their families. Not entirely sure but I'm guessing that's much less of an issue these days, that's the impression I get. Another possibility is that the lifestyle (sitting down all day staring at a light) destroys eyeballs and spines, so nobody over the age of 40 ever is able to work anymore?  :'(

I just can't imagine ever being away from making games, still love it and I want to be doing it in my sixties if possible but I never ever even see anyone in their 40's, never mind sixties.  

Replies

• Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Someone I work with is, I think, in his 50s. But he seems like someone who only recently got into games. Everyone else here is early 40s or younger.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    capone said:
    I've never noticed anyone who looks over the age of 40 :p

because it's of those good looks of mine ;)

seriously, I feel there are more people now who are in their 40s It seems like people born in the mid 70s are the first generation where a considerable number became game devs, maybe because they were the first to grow up with home computers like Amiga, Ataris and early PCs that actually allowed you to be creative in your own 4 walls. Before that it was much harder to get started if you weren't a CompSci or art student. I'm pretty sure in 10 years there will be more 50 year olds.
  • RyanB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am over 40.  I've worked in games for almost 17 years.  I've been with my wife for almost ten years and I have two kids.  I spend 2 -3 hours a day after work and 8+ hours on each weekend day with them.  I have no problems with eyesight, back or wrists.  After my kids are asleep, I spend 2-3 hours working on my own stuff.

• Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    I can pick out 4 possibly 5 in just this room I'm in right now heh, although the company has been around for I think 15 years or so.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    I'm nearing 50, and still loving game dev. No particular physical problems from aging.

There are a few people over 40 in our startup dev, some older than me, but that's mostly because we chose to cherry-pick seasoned pros. And those we've worked well with in the past. We also have 20-somethings and 30-somethings.

Older devs tend to avoid crunch because it's dumb, we've done our research, look it up. You could say seasoned devs are jaded, but not in my experience. My cohorts are all really excited about what they do.

Whatever, old people should just die already. :D
  • Mathew O
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mathew O polycounter
    We have quite a few 50 + and atleast one 60+ that I know of at Massive :)

• monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    I've been working as an animator since I was 19. I'm 35 now, but I feel old. So old.
    When I was at Microsoft / Ensemble Studio there were many late 40's and 50 people. But I wouldn't call them old.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    40yrs old here. Although, I prefer the term "Retro".

There are quite a few people here more retro than myself. Games is a new industry so its to be expected. I'd hazard a guess and say the most retro people will generally be coders as that's where games started before artists got involved. You'll probably get older managers and producers also, as they can come from other industries.
  • Schultzie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Schultzie polycounter lvl 13
    I'm 45.  Do I want to be making games into my 60's?  I hope not honestly.  
  • Melazee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Melazee polycounter lvl 11
    I prefer the company of the older devs, I find. They have so much to teach, and I love hearing about the early days of game dev. They're the guys who made the industry become what it is today, there is so much to learn from them. 
  • Ashervisalis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ashervisalis grand marshal polycounter
    Schultzie said:
    @Schultzie Care to elaborate why?
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    I'm 39 and a lot of the guys I work with every day are 40+.  I think one thing that is definitely true is gamedev certainly makes you dress and act younger.  And by younger, I mean immature lol.  All joking aside, I think it depends on the studio and culture as well.  Studios with massive amount of crunch will undoubtedly have a younger skew.  A lot of older guys also break off and do freelance as it affords them time for families as you mentioned.  I love working in a studio but don't want to crunch as much for the aforementioned reasons.
  • Schultzie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Schultzie polycounter lvl 13
    Schultzie said:
    @Schultzie Care to elaborate why?
    I like the work that I do but after awhile the long hours from time to time add up over the years and staying super late to make games isn't as fun as it use to be.  As I've gotten older I like a good work/life balance and if that starts to learn more towards work than life than it's not as enjoyable for me.

• gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The studio I'm at is filled with people in their 40s.  Keep in mind that it wasn't until the past 15-20 years that studios started ballooning in size, so its still a relatively young industry.

True story, about a year or 2 ago, we had a concept artist who retired from here.  First time I've ever personally heard of somebody retiring out of the games industry :P
  • Stuart Campbell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stuart Campbell polycounter lvl 13
    The average age of my art team is 40!

I feel like the industry has just aged alongside me. When I started out in 2002, the bulk of devs seemed to be in their 20's. We went out a lot and did what 20 year olds do, we also did a lot of crunch.

Now most people have families and want to spend time with them rather than being stuck at work crunching their way through projects. As others have said, work/life balance becomes more important as you get older. Making games is still fun, but its not the novelty it was when starting out. I think this plus the benefit of experience makes us more realistic with our schedules and ambitions for a project. Our quality bar hasn't dropped, we just plan for what can actually be done in the time and so generally get home at a decent time to enjoy other aspects of life.