Home Unreal Engine

Importing low poly mesh from zbrush and maya have different results. How come?

winterstone
polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
winterstone polycounter lvl 2
Hi I am wondering if someone could help me with whats going on below. The model on the right is the model from Zbrush I exported. I started with a shape in Maya goZ it to Zbrush, sculpted a high poly, then duplicated, and projected etc. I exported both Hi and low from Zbrush to bake my normal in Substance and texture. I then exported it and imported to UE. After importing it looks all faceted. I'm wondering how come?

On the left is the same lowpoly from zbrush just GoZ'd back to maya and auto UV'd and exported. I just put the other material on to check the model and its all smooth with out and facets showing. Can anyone explain what is happening. Thanks for your time. Have a great day!th

Replies

• Harconem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Harconem polycounter lvl 3
    I believe this is something to do with normals, like almost every irritating issue in game art!

I think... if you import your model into maya and select all the edges and set them to smooth instead of hard and then export, it should fix your problem. (Mesh display - soften edge).
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    Zbrush does not read or write vertex normals.
  • rohMizuno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    if you want something out of zbrush to have soft normals you need to use the FBX pluggin and make sure to select the soft normal box. I would recommend passing the mesh trough maya before going UE4 tho, as you will want to name your materials and UVs and those tasks cant be done on zbrush.
  • winterstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    winterstone polycounter lvl 2
    rohMizuno said:
    if you want something out of zbrush to have soft normals you need to use the FBX pluggin and make sure to select the soft normal box. I would recommend passing the mesh trough maya before going UE4 tho, as you will want to name your materials and UVs and those tasks cant be done on zbrush.
    Yeah thats what I have been doing. Getting good results. Thanks for the feedback everyone!