Home Career & Education

don't know what direction to take with my portfolio

jet112
null
Offline / Send Message
jet112 null
hello everyone in polycount, this is my first post and ill try to explain myself best i can
brief overview of myself, im 26 years old and i started 3D about 2 years ago. im right now in a weird spot where im trying to get good at all kind of stuff but im not particularly good at anything. 

right now its a mess. i have some generic renders with HDRI's, some highpoly, some props,environment, and a lowpoly character. i should also mention i never got educated professionally and learned it all from home (im good at finding tutorials online so that's a plus).

it really bothers me because one hand i want to be great at something but im always unsure to what will be the demands from people.
as of now i only did very few freelance jobs and not anything big, im still looking forward my first job and i haven't applied more than 5 times due to internal fears of what to expect and what others could expect from me.

luckily i come from a country where 3D is not that developed, our industry standard is quite weak and most of the industry here is concentrated on archviz or vfx. but i have already taken the direction of realtime graphics and this is what i want to do, but on the other hand im concerned with what specialty i should take in the future. im wary on posting my portfolio here (idk if you can see it) because i don't want to get roasted, my work matters to me. constructive criticism is always appreciated. 

Replies

• bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    In some ways you need to just make a decision and go full hog towards it. Think about what your ideal job title or type of work would be and draft up a plan of the things you need to either learn or prove via portfolio, break it into smaller chunks, and attack away. If you plan on only looking for work in your current country then it might be wise to see what's in demand (if you have no particular preference), otherwise go towards what interests you most as you will likely dedicate more time and energy into filling out your portfolio quicker. Either way, plan of action comes first. Narrow your focus and kick some ass. I wish I had better advice for you other than that, good luck!
  • lefix
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lefix polycounter lvl 11
    Currently it feels like a wild mix of stuff with different styles.
    I would recommend picking one or two things and make a series out of it, to show that you can be consistent in style/quality. Take that sword for example, and make a matching axe, crossbow, shield, treasure chest, barrel, etc. Or make 4-5 more of those creatures. Make sure you present everything in a consistent way, using the same backgrounds, etc.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    I feel I'm in the exact same boat as you.

I'll never be a super-famous online artist unless I totally commit to a style/genre and become both prolific and the best at that one thing.

That said, a breadth of knowledge across styles, techniques, engines, and disciplines can make you invaluable in a production.

My personal suggestion would be you remove the stuff that simply isn't up to the standards of your best piece.

Remove Growlithe, Fusion Mall Shop, and axe/cannister.
    Re-render the sword with an image background.

The environment and growlithe arent bad, they're just not ambitious at all. The axe/canister are too simple.

You have decent modelling chops. Focus on doing more ambitious pieces.

• jet112
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jet112 null
    I feel I'm in the exact same boat as you.

I'll never be a super-famous online artist unless I totally commit to a style/genre and become both prolific and the best at that one thing.

That said, a breadth of knowledge across styles, techniques, engines, and disciplines can make you invaluable in a production.

My personal suggestion would be you remove the stuff that simply isn't up to the standards of your best piece.

Remove Growlithe, Fusion Mall Shop, and axe/cannister.
    Re-render the sword with an image background.

The environment and growlithe arent bad, they're just not ambitious at all. The axe/canister are too simple.

You have decent modelling chops. Focus on doing more ambitious pieces.

thanks alot, i agree with everything you say. im very inspired by your work :
  • Melazee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Melazee polycounter lvl 11
    To me right now, you seem like you are a strong realistic artist. It's good to know how to do both realism and stylised, but I complete agree with @JacqueChoi. I would focus on your current strengths and master them. You clearly have the skills for realism, so keep doing it for sure. Establish your unique "theme" so to speak, so that when people see your work, they can instantly associate it with your name. I think that is harder to do with loads of styles. Not completely impossible, but difficult.