Home Contests & Challenges Archives Handplane Contest

Tyr Handplane - Finished

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Madosho polycounter lvl 3
I also wanted to give this a go :). I’ve been working on it quite a bit already, so here is my progress thusfar. Decided to go for a handplane with a sharp angled shape language. I also wanted to incorperate a lot of celtic/dwarven style patterns into this. Due to time constraints I decided to do crossbakes and mix the bakes of Handplane with detail from Ndo.

Update. Final thoughts: 
Handplane baker is shaping to a really good baker. Clean bakes, amazing speed, and easy to use. But at the moment there are still a couple of other bakers that get my preference. But that is mainly due the features the other bakers have. I'm really looking forward to see where the baker is heading. And it was really fun to participate :D ! Thanks AlecMoody for organising this contest!

My experience thusfar:

• Extremely fast and extremely clean bakes.

• No need to explode my meshes anymore. Woo!

• Very easy to use.

• I had some difficulties with getting the normals to bake correctly in the beginning. But I got those fixed in the end. The same problems did however return once I started using a skewmesh to fix the skewdetail errors. But next time I just need to model those in.

• Just because I was curious, I tried to export all of my meshes in meters. My project’s unit size is in centimeters. But this caused the baker to get stuck. It refused to bake.

• Didn’t really get the material ID/materials psd to work. I stuck with a color id bake from Maya in the end.

Some feedback points:

• Loading in your Lowpoly and Highpoly via the same method as you would load in your cage would be handy. Saves us a couple of clicks :P.

• A previewer for your bakes would also be really nice to have.

• Maybe a possibility to make some kind off preset for the raytraced AO and curvature that is based on your output settings. Low/Medium/High quality etc. So you have the possibility to let Handplanebaker calculate the ideal amount of rays for you. Just an idea though.

• Time estimation for your bakes.

• I think it would also be nice to set the default colour for the background colour of the curvaturemap as a neutral grey
Final Images: 

And some breakdowns:

Replies