Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Daxter - Feedback Wanted

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Melazee polycounter lvl 11
Hi Polycount!

I have recently finished a Daxter model that is currently being rigged so I can get some classic Daxter-like expressions, but I'd love some feedback that I can apply to my next model (or if I get great feedback on this, I can re-render this, have another go once he is fully rigged). More specifically, I'd like some rendering and final image editing feedback as this is by far my weakest area. This was spurned on after it wasn't accepted into 3D Total galleries, and I decided that it's high time I got some good solid feedback on my rendering! :) Also any tips for the 3D Total gallery submission would be totally awesome! 

Here is the render itself. Right now, I do regret adding the bright green logo there as it does clash with the orange, but sadly I saved over the PSD and lost the layered version so I couldn't remove it:

Breakdown of said render:

Topology:

Thankyou very much in advance Polycounters!

Replies

• Melazee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, so I have got some feedback from away from the net which was handy. The fur I did isn't too great, which is fair enough as it was just a quick post-editing smudge tool job in Photoshop. I could do a better one and take more time with the fur. Also, his body looks sort of "milky", which comes from cranking up the SSS way too high in Marmoset. He shouldn't really have that much SSS. 

On top of that, the pose itself isn't too interesting and it doesn't really scream "Daxter", and that is totally understandable and I hope to fix this once he is rigged up and fully poseable. I will also make some kind of prop for him to hold so he can actually do something and have something to react against.

Any more tips and advice anyone here has about presentation/rendering/colour balance/etc, I'd love to hear! 
  • artofmars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    artofmars polycounter lvl 9
    since you are going with a more hi rez approach I would give the eyes a second look. I would consider this approach https://cdnb1.artstation.com/p/assets/images/images/003/432/469/large/magdalena-dadela-eye-setup.jpg?1473626502

• Melazee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh wow that is really useful! Thankyou very much :) I was using a parallax map for the eyes but it didn't work too well and I'm not quite sure why. Hmm. I will have a go at this other method.