Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

2.5D Experimental Painted game

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
lucak polycounter lvl 5
Hey.

This is going to be a big thread so prepare!
I started this project some months ago with the idea of creating a game in a painterly style highly influenced by Poku and league of legends as in how the game is built, pretty much what I want to do is make a game that looks like a painting but is set in a 3D space.

Some of my expectations are to explore new ways to make 3d games in a handpainted style with a little twist and focusing a lot on ambient and environment composition with every part of the game being unique, as in no tillable textures, no cloned and repetitive modular assets etc.

I will update this thread with clear ideas and topics about what I want to learn and explore as well as documenting what I did wrong and learned not to do, and what I am focusing on doing, I would also greatly apreciate all the knowladge you can give about these types of games, like how to fake 3d in a texture, how to blend things together, what to focus on as in lvl design.

Here is what I got to the first time:  Here is what I have now after remodeling most of it

Some things still don't have the alpha on and as you can see there is a lot of experimenting with the vegetation, like every grass pot looks diferent, and the trees have 2 styles now.

Things to do

• Simplification is key, for a number of reasons including not spending time with details and learning how to design rather than texture/paint, I'm trying to stay fixed to loose strokes for now and try to go as far as I can by only painting loose things and focusing on colors and mood.
  • Being able to communicate within the game itself is a must, as the game will be level/map based with a story and mood changes, the environment will follow such changes and will be painted accordingly to what the message is supposed to be in such level

Here is a wireframe

Replies