Home Technical Talk

Can't collapse/weld vertices on a object (3dsMax)

cooljay156
polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
cooljay156 polycounter lvl 3
I searched around the web for solutions my issues but i cant put it into words correct to find what im looking for, basically i have a object made up of 4 planes each plane has 2x2 faces, they are all set at the same xyz position with 45 degree x axis rotation intervals between the 4 of them.

So in the center there ends up be 3 vertices that each have 3 overlapped vertices on them. I try to collapse/weld these vertices together but they won't. Looking on the web alot was mention about the possibility of polygons needing to be fliped etc, but that is irrelevant for this case.

I have a screenshot here with an example of my issue, hopefully someone has a solution.

Replies

• huffer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer interpolator
    3dsmax won't allow you to create non-manifold geometry, which would happen if the middle vertices would weld. Why do you need them welded anyway?
  • Swordslayer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swordslayer interpolator
    Editable poly won't allow that, it's a perfectly valid structure in Editable mesh (just like a one-vert face or a two-vert face and other fun things).
  • olgakoupt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    olgakoupt vertex
    3ds max is thinking you want to destroy the world. Since the verts in the middle have all those planes coming out of them and it is welded shut on either end the middle would have to act as the centre and core, SO Since you have no exits, the vert cannot accommodate all this stuff flying out of it. Picture one of those ornaments  but only one vert to hold the middle, not gon happen right? Philosophical question if your middle vert is holding all of these sides where are it's normals facing? <3