Home Technical Talk

3ds Max - Shift + Drag with Measure

kanzottos
null

HELLO , i want to clone this edge loop with Shift + Drag move. But i want that it should be same length with the other edges. How can i do that. Or any other easy way ? Thanks.

Replies

• Crimzan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crimzan polycounter lvl 9
    Hello.
    Without measuring or calculating the Y-Distance between each row, extruding the edges would be fairly difficult. 
    Edit. Take a look at Eric's answer, that's basically the perfect way to do it!

I'd go ahead and select the polygons instead of the edges, and hold down shift to copy them over.
    Then I'd use vertex snapping (hit S to activate snapping and right click onto the button at the top that highlights when you do so, to activate the snapping to vertices) to make sure that they are completely lining up and then weld the vertices together, so that it belongs to the same element.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Edit: If you want to extrude in a single direction, do what Eric shows below. If you want something more advanced though you'd need to script it.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Easy to do with snaps...
    Lock the selection.
    Turn on Snaps, enable Vertex snap.
    Move snap cursor overtop one of the vertices inward from the selected edge, shift-drag outward towards the next vertex until the snap grabs it.

edit... here's a GIF

• kanzottos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kanzottos null
    Easy to do with snaps...
    Lock the selection.
    Turn on Snaps, enable Vertex snap.
    Move snap cursor overtop one of the vertices inward from the selected edge, shift-drag outward towards the next vertex until the snap grabs it.

edit... here's a GIF

Yess!. This is the solution that i need.. thank you very much. and thanks for other comments. :)
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    I think @miauu has a script in one of his packs which copies edge lengths or something? There so much stuff in there by now, I get confused ;)
  • Crimzan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crimzan polycounter lvl 9
    This is great. Didn't know that! Thanks Eric!